PDA

View Full Version : New "Disney California Story" guided tour to debut at DCA

AVP
06-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Information about a new guided tour of Disney California Adventure was released to cast members this morning. I called Guest Services and they are still a little hazy on the details - the CM I spoke with said the tour actually begins July 18, and seemed surprised that the tour was already in the system for bookings (but not on the 17th as indicated below).

Here's the information as it was released to CMs. I'd expect a public announcement from Disney today or tomorrow.

To all who come to this place of dreams... Welcome!
Disney California Adventure celebrates the spirit of optimism and the promise of endless opportunities, ignited by the imaginations of daring dreamers such as Walt Disney and those like him who forever changed – and were forever changed by – the Golden State. This unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California… its land, its people, its stories, and above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire.

These inspiring words can be found on the dedication plaque located on Buena Vista Street in Disney California Adventure Park. They tell our Guests what to expect from the California adventure they are about to experience. And on July 17, the Guest Relations team will immerse our Guests even further into this story with the debut of a new guided tour called Disney California Story.

The three-hour tour will tell the story of the early 1900s in California when Walt Disney set out on an adventure of a lifetime to fulfill his dreams. Through storytelling of our attractions and landmarks, Guests will experience California as Walt once did.
The daily tour begins at 10 a.m. and includes three attraction experiences and an exclusive look into the 1901 Lounge. Guests will also be given a collectible pin and a private lunch on Buena Vista Street. Check in for the tour is located at the Chamber of Commerce, near the park entrance.

Tour prices per person are $109 for Guests ages three and older. Cast Members receive a 35 percent discount on this tour. A 20 percent discount is offered to Disney Rewards, Visa, AAA cardholders, Disney Vacation Club members and Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders. Separate theme park admission is not included in the price of the tour.

Tours may be booked up to 30 days in advance by calling 714-781-TOUR (8687). Same-day bookings may be available. Tours in languages other than English are available with advance notice.

oregontraveler
06-18-2014, 10:38 AM
As much as I love the tours that are offered, I feel since they raised the Footsteps price (but includes a peek into Walt's apartment) that this tour also priced at $109 is a sign of the times.

currence
06-18-2014, 11:29 AM
We did the walk in Walt's footsteps this past weekend. The tour guide for that was hyping the new tour but didn't seem to know many details. I'm not sure how I feel about them selling the sneak peaks into the member only areas, though I suppose at that time in the morning the members are at best only marginally inconvenienced. I'm curious how much of a look the tour can/ will provide.

olegc
06-18-2014, 01:47 PM
this is my opinion - but its another sign of showing off exclusivity and "don't you wish you had this". I won't expand since its off topic but it is nice that DCA finally has a tour to provide guests a way to get immersed in the park's backstory.

oregontraveler
06-18-2014, 02:11 PM
this is my opinion - but its another sign of showing off exclusivity and "don't you wish you had this". I won't expand since its off topic but it is nice that DCA finally has a tour to provide guests a way to get immersed in the park's backstory.

Yeah, but are they going to give the original version or DCA 2.0... :rolleyes:

AnotherJenny
06-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah, but are they going to give the original version or DCA 2.0... :rolleyes:

I took "backstory" to mean that they will explain the history of the real places depicted in the park now, not the history of the park itself.

leota's necklace
06-18-2014, 04:44 PM
A hundred. And nine. Dollars.

You have got to be kidding. Pass.

MadasaHatter
06-19-2014, 09:11 PM
I couldn't agree more Leota's Necklace..... but I suppose they are keeping up with the demand and people are paying it?!?!

I took the WALK IN WALT'S TOUR years ago and we were not let into Walt's apartment. BUT it was really WELL WORTH it. We met at the little garden spot just south of City Hall and took a tour. No rides. No lunch. Very efficient and fun and chill and relaxed......it officially ended near the Train Station at NOS and the guide said he would stick around for any other questions at which point a third of the group or a bit more left and then I stuck around for about 30 minutes and we talked ....so cool.

A few years later my Sis wanted to do the tour and we got on a few attractions I think but we definitely had a lunch and this time we had the iPods to listen to the guide and it was WAY spendy to quote my sis ( not 1oo bucks though) She actually said she liked it ok but would never do it again but that said we are Disneyophiles AND Disneylandophiles so that stands to reason.

I think they would actually make some money if they just also had an hour long tour with no frills no lunch and no attractions that would be more to the taste of some folks. I can get my own lunch and my own FPs thank you very much, but .....sigh.....I am mad.....

leota's necklace
06-22-2014, 09:13 AM
When I took the Footsteps tour last, we didn't see the apartment but had a box lunch in the old Gallery patio. Also no FP or pin; we got a hangtag to wear. And our guide knew less than we did, with comically bad delivery to boot. The highlight was our guide trying to keep her cool and saying, "don't look now, but there's Loni Anderson."
Seriously.
We still quote her when we're walking around the Park. I think we paid something like sixty bucks w/AAA discount (oh lord, this must have been before I was a Passholder, so ancient history) and it wasn't worth it back then.