PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

Kevy Baby
10-03-2003, 04:27 PM
I apologize if this has been covered already. I looked but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

(BTW: I am not interested in starting another discussion on the ethics of cell phone USAGE within the park - its already been covered in this thread: "Should Cell Phones be Banned?" (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18826&highlight=cell+phones) ).

Two parter: 1) Does anything know about and/or IF there are cell phone scramblers in the park? Have heard third hand from fairly reliable sources that there are and that it is done for security purposes. I understand (if they do exist) that they are scattered throughout the park and are turned on/off intermittantly (you could be in an area that gets good coverage and then doesn't the next time you are there).

2) Any feedback on particular service (AT&T, Verizon, Nextel, etc) that does or does not work. I am not interested in doing business from the park (although I frequently go in with my tie still on after work!), I mainly keep it on for meeting with others within the park (I frequently meet up with my wife there after work). I have been with AT&T for many years and seem to get about the same successful coverage as everyone else at the park (although I will probably be switching in the near future for bad coverage in OTHER areas).

And so I am not attacked; yes I do practice good cell phone etiquette!

Not Afraid
10-03-2003, 05:20 PM
I use AT&T and only have problems on rides - which is a good thing. I even have coverage in the dreaded NOS dead zone.

I've done business from the park before. It is really very pleasant.:D

RickW
10-03-2003, 05:29 PM
We have been happy with our Verizon service in the parks. Since I keep the phone on vibe and it is very hard to feel the vibration while on many of the rides, most of my calls are either "missed calls" or voice mail calls. That's fine with me. No disruption of my enjoyment of the ride.

Since the phone does register the calls as I stated above, I feel that the cellular service is just fine.

By the way, I have finally come to terms with a cell phone ringing in inappropriate places by thinking of it as the same as a loud sneeze or a baby crying. It's an annoying interruption, but by thinking of it in that way, I can quickly shift my attention back to the subject at hand. It's just my way of adapting to modern life.

Now a cell phone conversation in the same setting is another story altogether!

cemeinke
10-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I have AT&T - I get coverage in the Mansion Cemetary, but coverage in other Mansion Rooms is a bit spotty. I can never use my cell on the lift on the Bobsleds, but once, I hit the top I can get continuous coverage for the rest of the ride. Can't call on Pirates, or in NOS by the Pirates exit, must be the effects of that a'cursed treasure.

DisneyFan25863
10-03-2003, 06:14 PM
With Sprint, I can get pretty much good coverage all over the park. I can get coverage on most non-underground rides, and coverage on the lift of the bobsleds :D

MammaSilva
10-03-2003, 06:29 PM
AT&T here.. and I've gotten great coverage in the park.. everywhere from the bowels of Indy to the Graveyard in HM....I don't know about PoC .. I've never attempted to call out and so far haven't been there when someone was trying to reach us. In fact there is only one area from my garage to the park that we have any coverage issues and that is when we are crossing the grapevine.. there are a few areas that seem to be the dead zone.. so I'm very happy with our coverage.

mrscoach
10-03-2003, 06:42 PM
We use VoiceStream/T-Mobile, and haven't had any problems.

Andrew
10-03-2003, 06:51 PM
I have Sprint and usually get good coverage throughout the park, except in parts of NOS and when inside show buildings.

By the way, cellular "jammers" would be a major FCC violation. I think whoever told you that must have just been having a bad coverage day. It happens.

Polar33
10-04-2003, 12:42 AM
Not to mention a cellular signal jamming device would also cause problems for the many managers and TDA types who are encouraged to use cellphones (both company and personal) whenever nesssacary on-stage or off.

My Sprint reception at the park is random. Some days it's great wherever I am, other days I run into problem areas in places that have worked before. But it could just be because my phone is in need of replacement anyway.

ryguy
10-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Ive got sprint and get good coverage pretty much all over both parks too, only problems are in underground areas

EandCDad
10-04-2003, 08:01 AM
I've used SBC and Verizon in the park and not had much trouble. I've never tried to use it inside a ride, tho.

experiment626
10-04-2003, 04:19 PM
I've never saw a need for a cellphone in the park, so I can't tell you if they work or not. One of these days I may bring my phone with me.

HBTiggerFan
10-05-2003, 10:05 AM
I have AT&T and I get service anywhere in the park. I have never had a problem using it to meet up with people. Don't switch your service just because of the coverage in the park. You mentioned you have AT&T, you'll be fine :)

Kevy Baby
10-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I have AT&T and I get service anywhere in the park. I have never had a problem using it to meet up with people. Don't switch your service just because of the coverage in the park. You mentioned you have AT&T, you'll be fine :)

My main reason for wanting to switch is not because of coverage in the park, it is for lack of coverage A) at work, and B) at home. Coverage at DL with AT&T seems to be about the same as everyone else.

I think I was more curious about the scrambler question (which was answered)

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR FEEDBACK ON THIS HIGHLY IMPORTANT SUBJECT :) :rolleyes:

Bruce Bergman
10-06-2003, 09:53 AM
There have been rumblings of places that want to install scramblers, but those have been from live theatres and performance halls in Europe and Asia.

If someone tried to scramble radio signals indiscriminately in the USA, the FCC would be all over them like Mr. T on a heckler... :mad: :eek: And when they got done, the FAA Air Traffic Controllers would be next in line, then the local restaurants whose drive-through window radios won't work, and the local police and fire departments, and the security guards from the bank next door and the local FBI agents - it would soon resemble the 'slapping scene' from "Airplane"... :D

Not to mention that a broadband RF scrambler that could effectively kill cellphone use would be just as effective in killing all the radio microphones and other needed links inside the theatre building - it's nearly impossible to do a good live show without body-mikes on your lead actors, and the stage crew needs radio links too so they can do the scenery changes in the dark...

Trying to do a live show with all the dialog 'tracked' never works well. If anything goes wrong they can't adapt or ad-lib their way out of it, they have to stop the show.

Oh, and I had good luck all over the park while using LA Cellular (now AT&T Wireless), and no troubles now in either DL or DCA with Verizon. Reception inside a show building is like inside any building, it depends on the construction and signal strengths. An all-steel box with no windows for the signals to get in and out (like the Indiana Jones show building), fuhgeddaboudit. :fez:

--<< Bruce >>--

Pat-n-Eil
10-06-2003, 12:24 PM
I use Verizon Wireless and have had good luck in the park. Tried to share the ride by placing the call before getting on and letting friends at work listen in - this didn't work in BTMRR (I'd lose the signal in the tunnel) but It worked great on California Screamin' without disconnecting during the whole ride.

Disneyphile
10-06-2003, 01:09 PM
I used to have Sprint and had numerous problems throughout the park.

Now I use T-Mobile, and it's fantastic. My mother's favorite ride is IASW, and I quite often will call her from the queue, and then keep the call open during the ride so she can "ride with me". The call never drops out, and she can hear the soundtrack quite clearly. :D I've also used it on Indy and Jungle Cruise with the same effect. :fez:

ryguy
10-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Alot of the connections have to do with the Phone too not just the service

disneyfreak168
10-06-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ryguy
Alot of the connections have to do with the Phone too not just the service

The guy at Cingular said that if we wanted good reception and all, he recommends (sp?) Nokia. He also said Sony Ericsson don't have very good reception...