PDA

View Full Version : Alice and Nemo opening

TTFN92
06-11-2014, 11:35 AM
I just read on Disney Parks blog that Slice will be opening July 4 and Nemo Sept 27. I'm excited to get to ride them again. We'll be there the weekend Nemo opens :).

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/06/alice-in-wonderland-finding-nemo-submarine-voyage-and-frozen-updates-from-disneyland-park/

oregontraveler
06-11-2014, 11:44 AM
My instinct tells me that Alice with a planned refurb on the upper track will open on time. I'm not so sure about Nemo, there are rumors that it might open later in the fall to save money.

currence
06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Sept 27 likely coincides with the start of Halloween time. I could see that as the fall opening. It doesn't seem a likely ride for a Halloween tie-in but stranger things have happened - in which case they would definitely want it at that time.

candles71
06-11-2014, 05:37 PM
The start of Halloween time has been the 12(ish) of September.

TTFN92
06-11-2014, 06:21 PM
My instinct tells me that Alice with a planned refurb on the upper track will open on time. I'm not so sure about Nemo, there are rumors that it might open later in the fall to save money.

They just announced it today. I would say that's what they're planning on at this point. I would go by the Disney Parks Blog before rumors. But that's just me.

olegc
06-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Sept 27 likely coincides with the start of Halloween time. I could see that as the fall opening. It doesn't seem a likely ride for a Halloween tie-in but stranger things have happened - in which case they would definitely want it at that time.

that's only 3 days before the new Fiscal Year starts for Disney. I wonder if that has anything to do with it (see how it goes and maybe yank it later). Hmmm.

DisneyGator
06-12-2014, 01:17 PM
After all the hype of how Nemo will never come back, Disney officially announces it on their blog that it IS coming back. Here's an idea: let's track where the "permanent closure" rumors started and begin examing any other rumor that comes from the same source.

Disneylandfanguy
06-13-2014, 03:47 PM
that's only 3 days before the new Fiscal Year starts for Disney. I wonder if that has anything to do with it (see how it goes and maybe yank it later). Hmmm.

Please, let's not start any rumors. The Disney Parks Blog stated that the ride will reopen on September 27. That's all there is to it. I'm so sick and tired of all the wild Nemo Submarine Voyage rumors and crazy conspiracy theories from other fan sites.

It was been well noted that earlier this year at the annual shareholders meeting that Bob Iger stated that there are no plans to get rid of the submarine voyage, but what he actually said, word for word, has not been highlighted. Here is exactly what Mr. Iger said when asked by a shareholder of there were plans to get rid of the submarine voyage;

"There really isn't. I actually was very much behind and very much in favor of bringing that attraction back. You mentioned it was an attraction created initially by Walt Disney as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It was shut down I believe in 1996 and we brought it back I think 10 years later after it had been closed down or dormant for a long period of time and we re-themed it based on Finding Nemo, which I mentioned earlier was a very very successful Pixar film. You're right -although we don't look at it in terms of profitability-we look at it in terms of volume or how many people can actually experience that attraction over different periods of time. Loading and unloading those subs, not the easiest thing in the world to do, it takes a little bit more time than some of the other attractions so because of that we don't get as many people through it. But, because it is such an iconic Disneyland attraction, because we are really proud of the attraction that we recreated back in, I think 2006 or 2007, we believe that it's in its rightful place open and actually there for guests to enjoy young and old. So there's no plans."

Iger then went on to say that there are plans to increase the Star Wars and Marvel presence in other areas of the park, though. For those of you who want proof, here is the link to the audio from the 2014 shareholders meeting, the subject of the Submarine Voyage starts at around 00:48:32

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/zjrhb7ae

oregontraveler
06-13-2014, 06:52 PM
OK, so I was wrong, I thought they would have held off on re-opening a little bit longer. I can see the argument for both keeping and removing the subs. But since the sequel is now coming out in two years, it would be hard to dump them for new attractions.

I'm glad to see that Iger has acknowledged its a slow loader, but for me the appeal has lost some of the luster over the past few trips.
However, it is a beautiful sight to see and makes for a great photo op from the monorail station. (with the Matterhorn in the background)

olegc
06-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Please, let's not start any rumors.

a rumor would be "i heard this and its happening" the "i wonder if" part is usually associated with free thought or opinions....

and yes - all the stuff you mentioned has been in the ether.

this is, after all. a discussion board.

disneylandgirl
08-14-2014, 09:59 PM
So does anyone know what they are refurbishing? I'm hoping larger seats... LOL.

candles71
08-14-2014, 10:19 PM
So does anyone know what they are refurbishing? I'm hoping larger seats... LOL. On Nemo? The whole outside area finally needed repainting. They had used the recycled glass originally, but it opened in 2007 and hadn't needed to be repainted since. Past that, I haven't heard anything specific.

MadasaHatter
08-15-2014, 09:37 AM
As far as dark rides go, It is VERRRRY creative and VERRRRY cute and quite fun. I love the nods to the old ride also and the re-theming is brilliant. With the Dory movie coming out it will only make it the more popular...(maybe Ellen will voice it???? Or they will add/change it a bit???)

However it is not on my MUST DO list because of the loading and un-loading. And the fact that it is the looooooonnnnnggggeeeest dark ride in the park. If the queue is short enough I do pop on. My pal Blake has requested it as a must do as he has never ridden it for this trip. I do hope it will be open by October.....

I also think it is my FAVORITE attraction for aesthetic purposes. I enjoy walking by the lagoon seeing the brightly colored subs circling a GORGEOUS lagoon with all the new painted corral and the Sea Gulls chanting MINE MINE MINE.....the ten years it was down made for a very sad feel around the lagoon and now it is delightful.

I cannot wait to do Alice also because I AM IN IT......and I am MAD!

HeavenOnEarth
08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Alice is amazing...suttle but amazing for what it is. I can only imagine how cool the remaining Dark rides will look like after their refurb.

Nemo...meh...whatever. I honestly like the original subs better. Way to long of a wait to care about this ride. Honestly I would like to see it go away and lets plan for some Star Wars stuiff

MadasaHatter
08-17-2014, 09:06 AM
I think your wish will come true HeavenOnEarth!!! Star Wars seems to be very popular and now that Disney has taken it over I cannot imagine a boost in that direction. I think with the current refurb though the subs will be there for a while... I rode the ORIGINAL Subs right before it went down and it was WAY too claustrophobic and outdated for me ....but remember I am Mad!

candles71
08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
The last time I rode the original subs, I was 20. I just thought they were slow and boring.

MadasaHatter
08-20-2014, 10:31 AM
I think your wish will come true HeavenOnEarth!!! Star Wars seems to be very popular and now that Disney has taken it over I cannot imagine a boost in that direction. I think with the current refurb though the subs will be there for a while... I rode the ORIGINAL Subs right before it went down and it was WAY too claustrophobic and outdated for me ....but remember I am Mad!

Was that clear??? I meant I think they WILL be going towards the STAR WARS theming more and more???? Just clarifying...

disneyis4us
08-28-2014, 08:20 AM
We absolutely loved the changes to Alice. Everyone in our group went on and on about the ride! And we can't wait to ride Finding Nemo when we go back in December.

danyoung
09-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I was really impressed with the Alice refurb. They definitely plussed the attraction without changing the original vibe of the attraction. Very well done, Disney!

Gullywhumper
09-20-2014, 03:54 PM
All the walls are down except those by the load area. It looks like they are doing training today, there are groups of cast members in costume being led around and submarine going around the track.

TTFN92
09-20-2014, 10:37 PM
All the walls are down except those by the load area. It looks like they are doing training today, there are groups of cast members in costume being led around and submarine going around the track.
Awesome! Looks like it's on schedule.