PDA

View Full Version : Taste of Downtown Disney [Benefit for CHOC]?

Pages : [1] 2

kikid
06-09-2014, 05:21 AM
The website states: We're sorry, the deadline for buying tickets for this event has passed.

Anyone know if this is correct? Would love to attend this year. :)

kikid
06-09-2014, 07:33 AM
The website states: We're sorry, the deadline for buying tickets for this event has passed.

Anyone know if this is correct? Would love to attend this year. :)
Whoops! Forgot to add...this is through CHOC!

AVP
06-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Apparently they haven't activated 2014 yet. They're running a bit behind. Keep watching - I'll post an update once they start selling.

Just so this doesn't get lost in the thread replies, I'm adding the link here:

http://choc.convio.net/site/Calendar/3550820?view=Detail&id=100222

AVP

kikid
06-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Apparently they haven't activated 2014 yet. They're running a bit behind. Keep watching - I'll post an update once they start selling.

AVP

Thanks AVP!!!!!!
;)

currence
06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Registration for 2014 CHOC walk begins 6/15. I would guess they would update the details for Taste of Downtown Disney around that time - either opening registration or announcing when it opens. Right now, the CHOC walk website still links to the 2013 information for everything.

kikid
06-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Registration for 2014 CHOC walk begins 6/15. I would guess they would update the details for Taste of Downtown Disney around that time - either opening registration or announcing when it opens. Right now, the CHOC walk website still links to the 2013 information for everything.

Spoke w CHOC yesterday ;)
Evidently they are in the midst of a huge fundraiser! They plan on updating site when the event dust settles.

Has anyone participated in the Tequila Tasting? Or any of the add ons?

TTFN92
06-10-2014, 10:18 AM
What is Taste of Downtown Disney?

currence
06-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I was trying to see if I could find a quick link to a trip report from last year. I am sure they are out there but not seeing one now.

Basically, everyone who has registered is assigned a colored group and a start location. Most of the major restaurants in DTD participate, as do a few non-restaurants. At each food location, you are taken to a private area, usually outside, where you are given one or two food items and offered a signature alcoholic beverage (last year there were a few non-alcoholic options but they do seem heavy on the alcohol). After a period of time you are rotated with your group to another location.

The restaurants try to offer something that dazzles so if you come with an empty stomach and forget to pace yourself, you will go home super full. The only problem with the special offerings is that even if you think something is amazing, it may not make its way to the restaurants regular rotation, so you are left dreaming of the food and not actually being able to order it on your next trip. My understanding is that some of the foods that go over exceptionally well are added to the regular menu.

I went with a group of 4 last year and they all want to come back this year - and bring guests. I am a bit concerned how quickly this will sell out if other people had similar experiences.

AVP
06-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Here's my review from 2010 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?745-3rd-annual-Taste-of-Downtown-Disney-benefitting-CHOC-Children-s-a-recap). Not much has changed, including my ongoing confusion about why Catal even bothers participating. (Love the restaurant, do not know why they don't feature food that is on par with the amazing menu they actually serve, or allocate more space for the crowd).

AVP

cstephens
06-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Not much has changed, including my ongoing confusion about why Catal even bothers participating.

I'm guessing they don't have a choice.

olegc
06-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Here's my review from 2010 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?745-3rd-annual-Taste-of-Downtown-Disney-benefitting-CHOC-Children-s-a-recap). Not much has changed, including my ongoing confusion about why Catal even bothers participating. (Love the restaurant, do not know why they don't feature food that is on par with the amazing menu they actually serve, or allocate more space for the crowd).

AVP

when it was not a benefit but an AP event (like $10) Catal was where we hung out the longest. better food, better drinks, better view on the balcony. I have not been since it became a CHOC event but too bad about Catal.

kikid
06-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Received a return phone call from CHOC!
Website will be ready to roll next Thursday late afternoon or Friday!!
Hope Catal is better this year!!:confused:

kikid
06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
CHOC has their site up and running!!!
Signed hubby and I up for Tequila Tasting!! Anyone want to join us :p

AVP
06-29-2014, 02:39 PM
CHOC has their site up and running!!!
Signed hubby and I up for Tequila Tasting!! Anyone want to join us :pI'd love to join your rotation, but I'm pretty sure the tequila tasting would be wasted on me. ;o) I'll see if I can't find out what rotation you'll be part of and ask to be assigned to that. Once the tasting is over, I'm pretty sure the rest of the night is the same.

AVP

kikid
06-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Woohoo!!! That would be great, munching our way through DTD with you AVP!!
:p

ZazaNicole
07-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Anyone know how this event is likely to effect DTD in the morning/early afternoon? Website states it starts at 5:30. We were planning to spend that day in DTD but are going to be gone by 2 or so.

currence
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
As a participant, I can tell you that my group will be coming straight from work and have no impact on your morning/early afternoon. I suspect some people will take the day/afternoon off and it may be a bit more crowded than otherwise, but I don't think it will have a huge impact until closer to the event start time.

kikid
07-08-2014, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't think Taste would have any effect on daytime crowds. :)
We are going up in late afternoon to check in and hang by the pool ;)

cstephens
07-08-2014, 06:53 PM
It's on my calendar to hopefully do this year.

deewhy702
08-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Does anyone who has attended in the past know if the valet parking is free for the event?

currence
08-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Last year it was free at the Grand Californian. I was looking online earlier today for information about parking this year and didn't see anything.

deewhy702
08-06-2014, 08:35 PM
I was looking too.. debating whether to use the valet or just park in the structure since I have my annual pass

kikid
08-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Is 'dressy attire' recommended? I think I read somewhere on the CHOC website that this is a dressy event, can't find anything now? Help :)

kikid
08-08-2014, 10:40 AM
"We are recommending business/cocktail attire, however there is a lot of standing and walking, comfortable shoes are recommended."

answered my own question:) actually, just heard back from CHOC!

currence
08-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Did you happen to also ask them about parking this year? :)