PDA

View Full Version : Golden Horseshoe Variety Show -- Last Chance

Pages : [1] 2

tod
10-03-2003, 08:28 AM
After reading about the pending demise of the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show, I hied myself south to see it before it checks out.

Just for the record, I am a big fan of Dana Daniels: The Lovely Mrs. tod and I saw him many times at the Magic Castle when we were taking classes there, and we have enjoyed his work tremendously, even using some of his tag lines among ourselves and the little tods.

The show is a delight. Daniels and his piano-playing partner (whose name, alas, I did not catch) have honed the routines to a fine, sharp edge, like a vaudeville act that was worked to perfection on stages across the country. They work together well, and make the audience part of the show, co-conspiritors in the hunt for laughs.

Even though I have seen almost all of Daniels' act, he still has the performing chops to make it brand-new every time.

If you can get away next Tuesday or Wednesday, see the Variety Show before it goes away. You won't be sorry.

--T
:fez:

Note also the time listings. "The 3:00 show may be cancelled on rainy days." What the heck is that?

Sailor Butterfly
10-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Don't you know that Dana drives a convertible? :D

tod
10-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
Don't you know that Dana drives a convertible? :D

But the 3:00 show is the third show of the day...

-T
amused and confused.

Matterhorn Fan
10-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by tod
But the 3:00 show is the third show of the day...That would give him time to go put the top up.

:confused:

funnymagic
10-04-2003, 05:16 PM
The reason for the 3:00 pm rainy day show cancel
is because over at the Plaza Pavillion at 3:00 pm they have a birthday show thats held outside.

On rainy days they move the birthday show to the Horseshoe.

Thanks for the nice things you said about the show. Hal and I are going to miss working with each other.

-Dana

P.S. I do not drive a convertible
but a PT Cruiser

MammaSilva
10-04-2003, 05:28 PM
I'm hoping all the planets align and we can make the very last show on Wed...everyone keep your digits crossed that SW airlines doesn't fall too far behind on Wed ;)

Sailor Butterfly
10-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Hey, Dana! Welcome to the boards. Now repeat after me: There's no PEAR tree...

PurpleDove33
10-05-2003, 03:01 AM
I was at the park, yesterday saturday and I asked a CM about the last day just to make sure because I wanted to show my support and wish them a fond goodbye. And it was funny none of the CM's I spoke with knew anything about it. Which I found real strange not to know what was happening at their park. Just to be sure will some tell me if this is true or not and on what day is this? And does anyone know why they are getting rid of this show? And if the variety show is leaving what is going to be there in its place or will there be another thing that is closed at the park? Thanks for any info on this. And if this is true, I guess I will be there on wednesday. Its always sad to see park of the disney family leave and thats what this show has been. I wish for everyone in the show best of everything and I will miss you all.

Sailor Butterfly
10-05-2003, 05:41 AM
The last show is this Wednesday, October 8th. Billy Hill and the Hillbillies will be playing the Golden Horseshoe seven days a week to make up for the absence. As for the why, I'll leave it to others to speculate.

DLfreak
10-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Dana Daniels
The reason for the 3:00 pm rainy day show cancel
is because over at the Plaza Pavillion at 3:00 pm they have a birthday show thats held outside.

On rainy days they move the birthday show to the Horseshoe.

Thanks for clearing that up. :) I've always thought that was funny that they would cancel that show and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. :confused:

tod
10-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Thank you, Dana, for clearing that up. I thought it was a droll joke.

I look forward to seeing the Variety Show again before you pack it in. I'll be bringing my sons -- it's faster than waiting for them to turn 21 so I can get them into the Magic Castle -- and my wife if she can get off work.

--T

MammaSilva
10-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Still keeping all digits crossed that the plane lands on time, traffic is unusually light and we can make the 5:30 performance....I actually got to be part of the show many many years ago.. it's a wonderful memory!

Bruce Bergman
10-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
Hey, Dana! Welcome to the boards. Now repeat after me: There's no PEAR tree...

A-Ha! You were there for last Wednesday's last show, weren't you? C'mon, admit it - it was hillarious watching both Hal and Dana almost lose it big time during the last-act setup.... "Take Two!" :p

If it's at all possible, I'll be there. (Freeways clear and the last call goes short.)

Oh, and don't forget - :D IT'S A BIRD!!!! :D

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Mod note: edited to reduce font size that exceeded our size 3 limit. Adrienne K

Oldtimer
10-07-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi there.

I peeked at Dana Daniel's webpage and I simply must ask; does "the Bird" make an appearance at this show?

Thanks,
Oldtimer

:cool:

Bruce Bergman
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
<snip>
Oh, and don't forget - :D IT'S A BIRD!!!! :D

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Mod note: edited to reduce font size that exceeded our size 3 limit. Adrienne K

Aww, you're no fun at all... :( I was tempted to keep plugging in numbers and see how large it could go, but stopped at 12. And I was also trying to find a *blink* tag too, but there isn't one. :rolleyes: Who, me? (Nothing succeds like excess.) :cool:

And in response to Oldtimer: Yes, Luigi the Psychic Parrot is an integral part of the act. Get there tomorrow (Wednesday 10/8/03) and find out while you have the chance.

Dana: So what's left on your 'shows' schedule until DL decides to make a better offer to have you and Hal back?

(PS: Tell Hal that Rod wants the extra white piano stool back - There's an unfinished one inside Fort Wilderness they can get painted for the Horseshoe...) :fez:

I can imagine the four main Billys are going to want a few days off each week, so there will be a lot of shows with mostly Billy Subs mid-week.

--<< Bruce >>--

Sailor Butterfly
10-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
A-Ha! You were there for last Wednesday's last show, weren't you? C'mon, admit it - it was hillarious watching both Hal and Dana almost lose it big time during the last-act setup.... "Take Two!" :p

Uhh...I hate to break it to you, but Dana does that particular "blooper" in every show. Or at least every show that I've seen. Sorry.

BornieoTheLoveBug
10-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Went down to see the 3 o clock show today (tuesday). Was my first chance to see the show and thought it was pretty funny. Sorry to see it go. Got it on Video, so I can enjoy it for years to come. ;)

Morrigoon
10-07-2003, 11:28 PM
Very sad, but I'm not going to get to see it again :( Wednesday is a very busy day, esp this wednesday.

Welcome to the boards, Dana!

tod
10-08-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Oldtimer
I peeked at Dana Daniel's webpage and I simply must ask; does "the Bird" make an appearance at this show?

You betcha. Luigi the Psychic Parrot is a major part of Dana's act. You oughta see the bit where Dana recreates the time Luigi mugged him. Hilarious and great magic.

--T

Oldtimer
10-08-2003, 08:42 AM
I am on my way down to catch one of the eariler shows today.:D

Maybe I will see some of you there.

Oldtimer

mel g
10-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Im from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and I have been to Disneyland 8 times. One of the highlights of every trip is to catch the Variety show. Funny each and every time! Thank you so much Dana for all the great shows and laughs. You have no idea how much you will be missed.

Mel :)

Oldtimer
10-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Hi again.

Was worth the trip. Saw the show a couple of times while I was there. Hal and Dana have their timing just right, there are some really good laughs to be had by all. Also got to meet Wally Boag as well.:D

Wally is the voice of Jose from the Tiki room as well as being the headliner from the Golden Horseshow show from 1955 to 1982.

Posed for a picture with Dana and the bird, will share it if it comes out ok.

Let hope they reconsider and have Dana back at the resort soon.

Oldtimer

TerryTiger
10-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mel g
Im from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and I have been to Disneyland 8 times. One of the highlights of every trip is to catch the Variety show. Funny each and every time! Thank you so much Dana for all the great shows and laughs. You have no idea how much you will be missed.

Mel :)

Dana, I hope you do know how much you will be missed. I still have an empty pit in my stomach knowing I won't be able to get my Luigi (and Vanishing Tiger) fix regularly. At least I have the final show on tape and have already watched it about 7 or 8 times!

I've always felt YOU should've been there 5 days a week and Billy Hill should be the subs. Seeing them once was enough for me yet I've seen your show hundreds of times and it still make me laugh!

How can we facilitate your return to your rightful place in the Horseshoe?

Morrigoon
12-05-2003, 01:29 AM
Just curious, has anyone heard anything about the GH Variety Show returning? Or is it all-Billys, all-the-time?

(Don't get me wrong, Billys are funny and all, but one wants a little variety in one's life...)

mlnreplyer
12-06-2003, 10:59 AM
I haven't heard anything about Dana coming back, but I do think it will be a while before he does. He has found himself a gig at Wild Bill's, which is a couple of blocks down from Knott's, which I discovered about a month ago. He may not be there now, check his website. As for Hal, he is now the piano player for D.U.H. in the Hollywood Pictures backlot stage in DCA.