PDA

View Full Version : OC Reg: Disney Crash Reports Released

Gemini Cricket
10-03-2003, 07:38 AM
Click here for story. (http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=59898&section=LOCAL&subsection=LOCAL&year=2003&month=10&day=3)

Disneyland employees heard an unusual clacking noise coming from the wheels of Big Thunder Mountain train No. 2 on the morning of Sept. 5 and planned to pull it out of service when it returned to the station, a ride operator told investigators from the Anaheim Police Department.

But the train never returned to the station.

(Warning: This news story is graphic. It may not be appropriate for younger Padders.)

justagrrl
10-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Oh my - that article was horrific. So very sad.

Darkbeer
10-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Disneyland Workers: Ride Had Odd Noise (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-disney3oct03,1,6622531.story) - Los Angeles Times, 10/3/03

QuikQuote: Disneyland workers noticed an unusual clanking sound at least 30 minutes before a train on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad crashed last month — and had decided to pull it out of service on the next trip when the fatal accident occurred, according to police reports released Thursday.

RStar
10-03-2003, 09:17 AM
They should have never let it leave the station, so sad. But hindsight is 20/20, it could have been something real minor for all they knew, and I'm glad they noticed it and were planning to take it off line to find out. Makes me feel a little better.

justagrrl
10-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Disneyland workers noticed an unusual clanking sound at least 30 minutes before...

What in the heck?! :eek: That makes me feel a bit uneasy.

unoriginal
10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
For those that want to read the OCRegister story you can use this login (I hate having to register at every single newspaper site these days)

user:fakeid
pass:123456

Andrew
10-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by unoriginal
For those that want to read the OCRegister story you can use this login (I hate having to register at every single newspaper site these days)

Thanks. That bugs me as well.

Gemini Cricket
10-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by unoriginal

Sorry about that. I forgot it was a log in newspaper site. I logged in months ago and never logged out...
Oops.

Hey, does anyone know which tunnel they are talking about? I have heard many speculated stories about where it happened. Is it the earthquake/avalanche tunnel with the gold effect, or the rainbow caverns tunnel at the beginning, or the coyote tunnel?

Disneyfreak
10-03-2003, 03:14 PM
I dont think it was in either of them. As they described in the newspaper a while back, it was the third big turn. Which brings me to think it was where you dive into a tunnel just before the second lift. You are going the max speed of the ride and you dive into a dark tunnel. It says that the locomotive was airborne, so this must mean it was going at a fast rate of speed. This brings me to the conclusion that this happend in that tunnel. Thats my favorite drop too.:crying:

Darkbeer
10-03-2003, 04:29 PM
No Criminal Culpability Found In Disneyland Accident (http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/100303ap_nw_disneyland_accident.html) - AP, 10/3/03

QuikQuote: Another employee said she had taken a "ride-through" on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as part of a maintenance routine and had also heard a noise.
The locomotive lost a "bogie" — the assembly that carries the rear wheels — causing it to strike a tunnel roof, the Register said of information it obtained from the coroner's office and the police report. The first car then ran under the airborne locomotive, killing Torres.

lisap
10-03-2003, 07:43 PM
How would you like to be one of the CMs who decided to let the train do one more circut. :( Can't imagine how they feel right now.

tabacco
10-03-2003, 09:12 PM
I know :(

I do wonder why they didn't cycle it through empty, though, if they were going to pull it off anyway.

Morrigoon
10-03-2003, 09:41 PM
I like pancakes.

IndyBones
10-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
I like pancakes.

Others will try to make their own pancakes, but only we have the true pancakes. Respect the recipe. Be strong.

lisap
10-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Morrigoon, I wasn't making a judgement, just feeling for them, k?
Carry on with the pancake making.

stitcher
10-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I know :(

I do wonder why they didn't cycle it through empty, though, if they were going to pull it off anyway.

Decission was probably made after it wsa set in motion....