PDA

View Full Version : Help with DL Resort Honeymoon Hotel!

itsinthemagic
10-02-2003, 12:42 PM
On a whim today (okay, maybe it was just karma!) I called Disneyland to figure out how much our honeymoon was going to cost us. Now our wedding/honeymoon is 7 months away and most of the wedding websites I've gone to have said to book 6 months in advance, so I was going by that. Anyways, I called and found out what the rates and stuff were.

We WERE planning on going to Paradise Pier and getting concierge, however, the ENTIRE HOTEL is booked already, so that's completely out. And it's left me in just a bit of a panic. Can this be true that the entire hotel is already booked? Or are they refurbishing it? Anyways...

There is no way we can afford to get concierge at either Grand Californian or the DL Hotel, as that would eat up almost our entire budget for hotel and tickets and more, so basically we're stuck with "standard rooms". My question is this: We can get rooms at the Grand Californian for $297, $279 or $248 a night, depending on view. Our other option is the DL Hotel for $225 or $191 a night...

For those of you who have stayed at these hotels, which do you think is a better deal? The GCH would be stretching our budget a bit (but not bad), but I'm not sure if we would rather stay at the DL hotel and use that money for the Blue Bayou and other awesome restaurants around the resort. Neither one of us have stayed at the hotels, so we're at a loss for what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys for your help!! If the Paradise Pier is booked already, we need to book the honeymoon by Friday, so any help is appreciated!

CarlieB
10-02-2003, 01:07 PM
I haven't stayed at the resort hotels yet, but I think your idea of staying at the DL hotel and spending the extra money on nice meals and things is a good one. You'll still get the "Disney magic" at the DL Hotel (it is the original hotel, afterall) and be able to have some great meals out:)

miss bianca
10-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Consider getting an Annual Pass. Then you will qualify for the AP night rates which at the Grand is $159 weeknight $199/209 weekend night.

I've stayed at all 3 hotels within the last year and I would choose the Grand first, then Disneyland Hotel, Then PPH.

Are you aware of vacation planning department? Definitely let them know its your honeymoon. (do a search for vacation planning department on these msg boards for ideas as to what they do).

Are you booking as part of a package or on your own? You will get a much better deal if you book your own hotel / air / etc.

Have you checked out mousesavers.com ??

Freerider127
10-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by miss bianca
Consider getting an Annual Pass. Then you will qualify for the AP night rates which at the Grand is $159 weeknight $199/209 weekend night.

I've stayed at all 3 hotels within the last year and I would choose the Grand first, then Disneyland Hotel, Then PPH.

Are you aware of vacation planning department? Definitely let them know its your honeymoon. (do a search for vacation planning department on these msg boards for ideas as to what they do).

Are you booking as part of a package or on your own? You will get a much better deal if you book your own hotel / air / etc.

Have you checked out mousesavers.com ??
I feel the same way thats the best way to go.

itsinthemagic
10-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Thanks for your input guys!

I do have another question though... can you buy an annual pass online and start using the savings right away? I live about 1500 miles away from DL, so if I were to buy an annual pass, I'd want to make sure I could use the discount to book our honeymoon.

wendybeth
10-02-2003, 08:08 PM
The last time we went to Disneyland we stayed at the DLH and it was great! I looked over the GCH and really wasn't all that impressed- the craftsman style decor was nice, but kind of out of place and (I believe) way overpriced. It is romantic, though, but I find being broke really kills the mood-lol. The DLH is where you will get the real Disney immersion, and the rooms are very nice. When is your honeymoon? I know there is a big convention being put on by AG Bell in late June, so if it's around then they may have blocked the rooms out...:cool:

miss bianca
10-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by itsinthemagic
Thanks for your input guys!

I do have another question though... can you buy an annual pass online and start using the savings right away? I live about 1500 miles away from DL, so if I were to buy an annual pass, I'd want to make sure I could use the discount to book our honeymoon.

Yes you can buy the AP at disneyland.com
When you call to make your hotel reservations (714) 956-6425 just let them know you have an Annual Pass and ask for the AP night rates. Current discounted rates are only through Dec'03 right now though.
They will ask for your AP# when you make the reservation and then you just need to show a vaid AP when you check in.
The AP is valid for 1 year from the first time you use it to enter the park (that's the day you truly "activate it")

mousey_girl
10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
For a honeymoon I think GCH would be perfect. The rooms are a bit cozier than DLH. The theming of the rooms is more artistic, less cartoonish (I hope that makes sense without offending anyone). The USE ABLE balconies at GCH would make a perfect spot to relax, enjoy a drink and just enjoy being there.

LCExpress
10-03-2003, 12:24 AM
so basically we're stuck with "standard rooms".

Don't worry about "standard rooms." We were delighted with the the decor of our room at DLH. You'll have a blast either way.;)

miss bianca
10-03-2003, 08:01 AM
Also since its your honeymoon, there is a really good chance they will upgrade your room!

Make sure to tell the reservationist and Vacation Planning Department! VP does a "special turn down service". I won't tell you too much because its much more fun to be surprised! :D

mrscoach
10-03-2003, 06:58 PM
Along with checking the AP rates, check on expedia.com for rates. They're sometimes even lower than AP rates, although since you're looking at 7 months from now, that might not be the case. Regardless, I have emailed Vacation Planning and asked them if we could use their services even though we book the room through expedia, and VP assured me that it doesn't matter how we book the room, they're happy to work with any guests of any of the 3 Disneyland Hotels.