PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian Concierge Questions

Anthony
10-01-2003, 08:26 AM
Hello!

I was wondering if you guys could please give me an idea of how best to use the GCH concierge services. I have been saving up all year for this trip and I am so excited. My GF and I are staying in a theme park view concierge level. I hear they have a decent breakfast, and at night like wine and appetizers. I am hoping that these two features are nice, and may help save some $$ instead of buying breakfast every day, or maybe less for dinner.

Any tips or hints that you recommend?

Thanks!!

P.S. I keep reading that the soaps and things they leave in your room are great. Is it a party foul to take the extras each day and put them away, so each day you get a whole new set? I think it would be cool to have them at home and remind us of our trip.

dgdisney
10-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Anthony - the GCH is such a fabulous hotel - you will have a wonderful time!

My family stayed on the concierge level in May. The concierge staff was helpful about making PS for dinner and helped me figure out a jogging route etc... Actually everyone at this hotel was fab! Use their services if you have the need to!

On the food - Breakfast was served from 6:30 until 10 or so - and my family ate breakfast there every day - saving $ and time (and I delivered breakfast to my husband so he could catch a few more winks!!).

We also stocked up on water - they have little bottles in the concierge lounge all day and those bottles were great to take to the park or have back in the room (the bellman suggested that he bring us a **** for that purpose and we had icy water all trip as a result - much appreciated!).

The wine/cheese thing was not a big hit with my family - my husband is a bit of a wine snob to begin with and it seemed like we were either at the parks or the pool during this time. But, for the two of you, it might make for a nice late afternoon break. The offerings were not as extensive as at WDW but they did always have cheese/crackers and some interesting appetizer.

My kids (and husband) would say that the late night cookies were the best hands down! 8:30 is storytime but you can get cookies and milk before or after as well (and the lounge is a nice place to watch the fireworks).

On the soaps etc... we actually used ours and I don't remember new ones appearing every day - there is a cool tin that had a sewing kit in it. I am sure if you ask your housekeeper you could get whatever you wish!

Hope this helps - and have a terrific time!:)

disneylandia
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
I haven't stayed there yet, but at all hotels I've stayed at (including expensive "resort" hotels) the soaps / lotions / sewing kits are yours. I too like to bring some home, and would pack them away in the suitcase. Each day they cleaned they left more. So go for it!

Be sure to leave a nice tip for the maid. Something many people forget to do. I leave $1/day per person.

mrscoach
10-01-2003, 01:09 PM
I stayed at GCH about two years ago, and took the soap every day for 3 days. It was no big deal.

sierranevada
10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
We stayed at GC concierge with 3 adults and 2 kids and loved it!! Breakfast is plently to fill you up. We loaded up on water, sodas & fruit and put them in our fridge in room to munch all day. I am also a wine snob so while the wine at happy hour is not my favorite, it was still enjoyable to relax with and some munchies. We generously tipped the waiter the first night there and got great service. He would even give us a full bottle to take to our room. The fireworks are readily viewed from the concierge lounge and they pipe in the music. The cookies and milk were a big hit with the kids and the waiters will happily make hot chocolate if you ask. You also get games and movies to rent which the kids loved!
So yes, the concierge level did help us save money. Bottled water in the park is $3/bottle so be sure to take some with you.

As far as the soaps, they actually restock twice a day. They are yours to keep. In my case, I usually try to let the maids know that I collect these because my mother's church makes gift bags for local women's shelters. They are always assuring me to take as many as I need and sometimes leave extras for me. And yes, I did tip the maids - $1/day does seem to be the going rate.

You will also get nightly turndown service with little treats left on your pillows. The concierge staff is very helpful in recommending dinner spots and getting reservations for you so be sure to utilize them.

You will have a great time!!

Sheila
10-02-2003, 11:39 AM
By looking at our Review System, I see 13 reviews for the GCH:

Grand Californian Hotel reviews (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrgc)

The reviews are mixed about the concierge service....

Sheila

Anthony
10-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Hello!

Thanks to all for the great info, I REALLY appreciate it! I got my DLR three ring binder yesterday full of our travel info and tickets. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!! Two more weeks and I am there! If you don't mind, I have a few follow up questions.

-Do you use the fridge in the room, or do you get an extra one? I have read that if you look at the items in the one fridge, you are charged for them.

-Is there food in the conceirge lounge all day, or just during certain times? Are you allowed to bring some back to your room? (You got to bring a bottle of wine to your room, how cool!!!)

-I keep reading that you can view the fireworks from the balcony of the lounge, but I am afraid I am confused (a normal problem) Are the fireworks everyone referring to the Fantasmic ones, or the other kind that are not offered in October? If so, can you see fantasmic from the balcony? Thanks for the tips!!!!!

Anthony

sierranevada
10-02-2003, 12:05 PM
We used the second fridge in our room and did not show the kids where the honor bar was!!!

There was fruit and pretzels/chips out all day. We also took stuff back to the room - there were even trays that we used in the morning to take breakfast back to the late risers! It was nice to have stuff in the room and not have to make the trek to the lounge unless it was breakfast or happy hour.

And yes, unfortunately, it is the fireworks that you can see from the lounge. I don't believe you can see Fantasmic but we did not try.

Maybe someone else knows!!