PDA

View Full Version : Golden Castle

Iliade
10-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Hi there,

I france, some friends Cast Members has told me that for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, the castle would be painted gold. Is that true ? I have you concepts arts of this ?
Thanx in advance !

David:cool:

gliterrboy
10-01-2003, 06:56 AM
I am a new CM and was told a week ago during Orientation that the plan was to TRIM the castle in gold. But I don't know how reliable the trainer really is for information like this.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-01-2003, 09:22 AM
Disney changes its mind all the time. I would take any news about the 50th with a grain of salt for now.

zapppop
10-01-2003, 09:38 AM
The plans for the 50th haven't been announced yet, but so far, we know the following things are coming to Disneyland in 2005:

a new Buzz Lightyear ride
a new daytime
history of Disneyland exhibit
new fireworks show
Space Mountain reopens ( hopefully )

The new fireworks show is to save money. There are complaints about DCA not having a fireworks show. TDA tried to create a show for DCA called LuminAria but it failed miserably because it was rushed and inadequately funded. An updated improved version was in the works but was scrapped to get money for the Aladdin show. Now TDA has decided to cancel Disneyland's popular Believe; There's Magic In The Stars next year and replace it with a new show that can be seen from both parks. Why do 2 shows if you can do just 1 and save more money ? Oye.

Space Mountain needed to be rebuilt and it's uncertain if it'll be open for the 50TH so I don't consider that to be one of the special offerings. It's going to be the same as it was before. Some guests and CM's were telling people they're going to copy Euro Disneyland's Space Mtn.; adding corkscrews, a loop and a launch cannon. Not true. At the rate they're moving, Space Mountain won't reopen til November 2005, although some insiders think it might not be til February or March 2006. Hopefully that won't happen but who knows.

Now for the rumors:

Although it's been closed for years, the Submarine Voyage has been under refurbishment since early this year. TDA keeps flip flopping on whether or not to reopen the ride but repairs continue to be made so maybe it'll reopen in 2005 ( or sooner ).

Al Lutz posted an interesting article on Sept 4th claiming TDA is considering putting character faces on The Matterhorn ( sort of like Mt. Rushmore ). Don't know if this one has been approved but you can read about it here (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al090403a.htm).

Finally, there's the gold castle. Supposedly Cynthia wants to paint the castle gold and use that to help market gold castle merchandise for the golden anniversary. Again, there's flip flopping.

For all we know, all of these plans could be scrapped and completely new ones will get the green light. The people at TDA change their minds daily.

Whatever happens in 2005 at Disneyland, we'll be watching.

gliterrboy
10-01-2003, 10:55 AM
hypothetical question:

If they DO paint the castle gold, will they have a team of 800 with high powered mechanical spray painting machines do it in ONE NIGHT? or will it slowly be painted for 3 weeks and just be a little more gold each day?

The 2nd option sounds like HORRBILE show. If they decide to paint it, I hope they are able to at least do it all in one night.

Do I have too much faith in Disney Magic, or does this even sound possible?

innerSpaceman
10-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
The plans for the 50th haven't been announced yet, but so far, we know the following things are coming to Disneyland in 2005:
a new daytime
In the 2005 Anniversary Year Daytime, the sky itself will be gold, and the sun will be a bright red. Clouds will be green, alternating with yellow. This will be the most spectacular effect ever seen at Disneyland since they projected a rainbow across the night sky for the 30th anniversary in 1985! I can hardly wait.

Oh, or did zapp mean the new daytime parade?

scottmen
10-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
In the 2005 Anniversary Year Daytime, the sky itself will be gold, and the sun will be a bright red. Clouds will be green, alternating with yellow. This will be the most spectacular effect ever seen at Disneyland since they projected a rainbow across the night sky for the 30th anniversary in 1985! I can hardly wait.

That was funny, and I know funny.

Mark Goldhaber
10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by gliterrboy
hypothetical question:

If they DO paint the castle gold, will they have a team of 800 with high powered mechanical spray painting machines do it in ONE NIGHT? or will it slowly be painted for 3 weeks and just be a little more gold each day?

The 2nd option sounds like HORRBILE show. If they decide to paint it, I hope they are able to at least do it all in one night.

Do I have too much faith in Disney Magic, or does this even sound possible?

I guess you didn't see the process of turning Cinderella Castle into that cakesicle back in 1996, huh?

zapppop
10-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Oh, or did zapp mean the new daytime parade?

Parade.

:rolleyes: :p

gliterrboy
10-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Mark Goldhaber
I guess you didn't see the process of turning Cinderella Castle into that cakesicle back in 1996, huh?

Nope, anyone care to explain? Thanks! :D

AVP
10-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by gliterrboy
The 2nd option sounds like HORRBILE show. If they decide to paint it, I hope they are able to at least do it all in one night. Well, considering they did so much damage to the DLP castle when they added that darn hat to it for their anniversary that the castle was surrounded by scaffolds for three months to repair it, I imagine we'll get something similar - a long, slow process while the castle turns gold. And another one, 18 months later, when it's repainted the original color.

Assuming it ever is - they could go "small world" on us, and not return the castle to the original color for 10 years.

AVP

Not Afraid
10-02-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Assuming it ever is - they could go "small world" on us, and not return the castle to the original color for 10 years.

AVP

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Cadaverous Pallor
10-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Wait, aren't the current colors on the castle "new" anyway? Wasn't the castle originally gray stone color? Perhaps accented with colored lights at night?

Besides, I'm not a big fan of the pink they have on the castle right now.

innerSpaceman
10-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Well, the pink is the original color, although currently very faded and ugly.

The multi-colored stonework is indeed new. The original was just slate gray.

Personally, I love the new stone work. So I can't say that I am a purist for what was original. I don't want original; I just want what looks best.

Gold Castle would be garish beyond belief.

Iliade
10-03-2003, 01:43 AM
Hi,

At WDW they painted the castle in pink for the 25th anniversary little by little.
I have pictures if you wish.

:cool:

roband74
10-03-2003, 08:04 AM
The Mount Rushmore idea for the Matterhorn is horrible.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Well, the pink is the original color, although currently very faded and ugly.

The multi-colored stonework is indeed new. The original was just slate gray.Ah, ok, I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't want original; I just want what looks best.Hear, hear! I totally agree. But I will not judge a possible paint job until it's in place.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Iliade
Hi,

At WDW they painted the castle in pink for the 25th anniversary little by little.
I have pictures if you wish.

:cool: No, that's ok. The two castles are very different. Thanks though! :)

bandboy1985
10-03-2003, 08:03 PM
now, don't all get your rocks and stones out, but i think a "golden castle" is a nice conceptual idea that could be implemented well.

i think most people see a metallic gold finish applied indiscriminately to every surface, as yes, that would be god-awful.

but i do think that a scheme of a golden yellow and white with a shimmering metallic gold trim could be very eye-appealing. they could even use the bulls-eye outdoor sequins on the gold finish trim. (you know- the shimmery light blue stuff on the alhambra trucks, they also have red pennants made out of it at irvine spectrum...it's cool stuff!)