PDA

View Full Version : Is Thunder Mountain Trail Open Yet?

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 04:05 PM
I havent been to the park for a while but is the thunder mountain trail open yet or is there a wall there still?:confused:

Andrew
09-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
I havent been to the park for a while but is the thunder mountain trail open yet or is there a wall there still?:confused:

The Trail was closed last weekend (20th-21st). I haven't heard of its reopening since.

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Man this must be extremely bad and they dont anyone peaking through the fences.:eek:
I wonder if the wreck is still in the same place? Or have they finished investigating? Im itching to know what happened; if it was disneys fault or if it was the rides fault or if it was a freak accident. I think it was disneys fault, because the ride looked like it was in poor condition the week I rode it just before the crash. Fading paint everywhere especially on the vehicles themselves, like they have not been kept up. Even if just inspecting it wouldnt of helped, they should have replaced the latches hooking the cars several times before this happened. It just seems like they were not replacing things annually like they should have. Even if it isnt broken they should be replacing things, which I know they dont do..:eek:

egoblast
09-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Wow, it sure seems like you have all of the answers. Peeling paint equates dangerous ride? That is quite a stretch. Please be patient, when all of the investigations are complete a full disclosure will follow.

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 04:23 PM
It may not be directly related to the ride but peeling paint=lack of upkeep. It makes perfect sense that peeling paint means they are not taking care of the ride like they should have.

egoblast
09-30-2003, 04:26 PM
I have to disagree, peeling paint could be the result of many factors. These issues do not necessarily mean that the ride itself was not being properly maintained. Again, I ask that you be patient and wait for the results of the investigation.

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 04:28 PM
They are never going to release why exactly it happened, they never do.:(

innerSpaceman
09-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Sure it's not conclusive - but when a ride is visibly ill-maintained, it is not a stretch to assume it was also mechanically ill-maintained if the ride caused a guest fatality.

Personally, I'm not jumping to conclusions quite yet - but if the ride looks to be in bad shape and then someone gets killed while riding it - well, I'm sorry if public perception doesn't work in Disney's favor.

Maybe next time they'll at least make the death traps look pretty so we don't jump the gun on who the murderers are.

CoasterMatt
09-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Peeling paint doesn't generally mean anything when it comes to the structural soundness of a rides mechanical systems.

One of the things that has amazed me about Disneyland, is how over the years, they have always kept a fresh coat of wax on the Matterhorn Bobsleds; while letting the ride track and structure go to pieces.

Just because something looks fresh and clean, doesn't mean that the IMPORTANT things are taken care of.

egoblast
09-30-2003, 04:52 PM
I found it very hard to believe that we will not hear from the State of California OSHA on what exactly happened. The cynicism and implied conspiracy theory seems to be a little extreme. If the rides are in fact death traps why do we all still ride them? If we can all be suckered into entering a dangerous situation because it is all painted pretty then shame on us.

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 05:03 PM
I would ride the rides even if they were falling apart, you guys know that.:)
But it is sad to say that Disney has put a bad image in our heads when they dont take care of their rides. Painting is part of maintinence, its not just there to be pretty; It helps things from aging, making things look bright and new, protects from rot etc. So when they dont paint it causes the public to see that they dont take care of the rides as they should. If they cared at all they wouldnt just take a look at the ride mechanics; they would look at the ride as a whole as what needs to be done.:)

Darkbeer
09-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Getting back to the trail itself, I wouldn't expect to see it open (except for the Fantasyland side when need for access to private events in Festival Arena...) for a long time.

While nothing is really going on back there, the DOSH folks, plus others still sometimes want access to the accident scene. Once DOSH is finished with its determination, they will sit down with Disneyland, and ride manufactures to come up with ways to make sure that the accident never happens again, which might include making changes on the trains themselves (I am almost positive this will happen), they also could require track changes, both in actually changing of the track, and adding additional sensors and safety devices. This work would require the trail to remain closed, while the repair work is made.

I highly doubt you will see the Trail open back up until just before the actual ride is ready to open. And I think you are at least a year away from that happening.

Disneyfreak
09-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Well in my opinion, if the ride cant open for a year then they wont open it till the 50th anniversary starts, which will be in 2005. Its might as well they keep it closed till then, at least it would be something to look forward to for the 50th and DCA will get more attendance.:)

innerSpaceman
09-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Maybe the conspiracy is not to hide poor ride maintenace; maybe the big conspiracy is to close down as many attractions as possible and then open them all just in time for the 50th, promoting the hell out of Disney returning to the way it was in, say, 1996!

Submarine Voyage, Space Mountain, Big Thunder! Everything old is new again!

Watch for the Jungle Cruise, the Matterhorn and Pirates of the Caribbean to close in fiscal year 2004.

SiRocket
10-01-2003, 08:10 AM
look at the paint and the condition of the ride vehicles over in Valencia...... if thats the case im going to be scared next time i go through a loop that the wheel might fall off ;)

ZipadeedooDave
10-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Dude - I totally find your idea really valid. I never thought of that.....all that is old is "NEW AGAIN" -- makes lots of sense...but then that would say that Big Thunder's accident was planned, and I don't for the life of me think Disney would or could plan something like that.

To the others that were wondering about the Big Thunder Trail to Fantasyland....not sure. I was there on Sept 26, and I honestly didn't venture in to that area...just hit the Matterhorn, Small World and the train and then did some shopping on Main Street.

I was off on the 26th and boy was my wife mad when she called my cell phone and I had gone to Disneyland for a few hours....hee hee hee....course, she soon forgave me....

Darkbeer
10-01-2003, 09:55 PM
OOPS!!!:eek:

I was at the park today, and guess what was OPEN......

Yes, the Trail is back, they built a new wall, that goes to the bridge, but the east half of the trail is open, and without a wall..

Alas, I should always keep in mind Disneyland's Number 1 motto, Everything is ALWAYS subject to change.....:fez:

Disneyfreak
10-01-2003, 10:24 PM
Guess they opened it to ease the conjestion of fantasmic after the show. Besides what other reason would they open it for; the area is a ghost town, even more so then at Knotts;LOL! Or maybe even Tomorrowland:eek:

RStar
10-02-2003, 09:30 AM
While it all equates to maintenance, paint and mechanical work are two different crafts and are different people on a different schedual. So what one does is seperate from the other, only the budget is the same (and the problem no doubt).

I'm glad they opened the trail. Is the bridge open? That's one of my fave. parts of the park to relax.