PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for first time stay at Grand Californian?

disneyprincess81
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
My family and I will be spending the weekend after Christmas at DL and staying at the GC with a view of DD which should be great. Is there any advice or tips out there for us regarding GC, perhaps restaurant recommendations? I'm going with my mom, teenage sister, and six year old brother, in case that helps.

:D

lisap
09-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Hooray--you will have an awesome time.

The hotel is beautiful--take time to wander around . The Christmas tree is the most beautiful one in the resort (IMO.) The Storyteller's brunch is awesome--it's not as character intensive as say, Goofy's kitchen, but the food is excellent and it's right at the GC.

Of course you can book reservations at any DTD resturaunt, but White water snacks is good for quick meals and also right in the hotel.

They also do a story time in the lobby for the kids--check with the desk for the times.

Have a great time-

tjrj
09-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Advice #1-do not touch anything in the fridge unless you wish to pay for it. The fridge is hooked up so that whenever anything is moved, your room is billed. Except for this tiny space that says something like "put your things here". You can request that the fridge be locked. You can request that a regular fridge be placed in your room. Usual charge is $5-10 a day(but we were never billed for it).

Advice #2-hallways are long. If walking is at all an issue, asked to be placed near the elevator(there's only one).

Advice #3-your 6 year old brother may fall in love with the sleeping bags that are provided. Both my boys did-and slept out on the balcony to watch the monorail go by.

Advice #4-the toilteries are especially awesome spa inspired things. Refilled twice a day!:D

Advice #5-found the rooms small(when compared to the DLH) with limited storage space for a longer stay. Since you're there a weekend, it may not matter but I found it to be rather cramped with 4 of us over a 4-5 day stay.

Advice #6-have a great time. It's truly an awe-inspiring hotel.

dgdisney
09-30-2003, 02:38 PM
You will have a splendid time!!

Just a point on the elevators. I asked for a room close to the elevators and once we went up to our room from the main lobby we walked and walked and walked the endless hallways to our room. I called guest services and after talking to a few people I went outside my room and turned a corner - to find the second bank of elevators!! They let us out right near Storyteller's Cafe and the entrance to DCA - perfect.

So ask to be near one of the banks of elevators! I think our room # was 6410 - but we didn't have a DD view - we just watched the monorails go by!

One more tip - my kids would use the pool in any weather - and GCH guests can use the DH pool as well.

TribeFan
09-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Actually, there is no charge for a fridge at any of the 3 resort hotels.

With regard to long hallways.... the DTD view rooms are the farthest from the elevators. There is no such thing as a close to the elevator DTD view room. It just does not exist.

There are 2 sets of elevators at the Grand. One set is in the great hall and the other next to the Napa Rose restaurant near the pool. The DTD view rooms in the 100 wing are a little better view. You can request it but it seems that if fireworks are going, the 400 wing is a little more direct view towards Disneyland. You would use the great hall elevators to get to the 100 wing DTD rooms, and the Napa Rose elevators to get to the 400 wing DTD rooms.

TribeFan
09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Hotel pool use has changed. The hotels no longer offer use of other hotel pools. Just the hotel that you are staying at. You can ask and during the slower seasons they can generally accomodate you.

disneyprincess81
09-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! We won't mind walking to our rooms from the elevator, a little excersize never hurt.

:D

My brother is really scared of characters, so I don't think we'll be going to any character breakfasts unforunately.

:(

I'm not sure that we'll go swimming, will the pool be heated? Do all the rooms have sleeping bags and are they just for kids? That sounds like tons of fun!

I'll be sure to tell my mom about the fridge, that sucks! We'll probably get another, empty one.

sc650
09-30-2003, 03:32 PM
thanks 4 the helpful advice ya'll..i will also be staying here for the first time (theme park view) dec. 9th-13th..

dshimel
09-30-2003, 04:20 PM
I stayed there 2 years ago, so some things may have changed.

I was impressed with the valet service, until I found out it would cost $12 a day for nothing but to keep the car in the valet lot. What is my $200 a night buying me if not valet car service? After check-in, get the car and park it in the self-serve lot yourself. One walk across the street is woth the $36 it would cost to leave it in valet for 3 days.

$8 a day resort fee? For what? You can keep the stinking USA Today that I won't be taking time away from Disney to read anyway. Just what is my $200 a night buying me anyway?

While the Hallways seem long, especially at the end of a long day in the park, it really isn't any longer than an extra trip across DCA. There were, afterall, 3 rooms further from the elevators than mine. (I was in a theme park view room right next to Soarin' with a lovely view of Grizzly Peak out the sliding glass door.)

Storyteller's is great breakfest, but too pricy to do every morning. Too bad they don't split the restaurant down the middle, making one side character breakfast, and the other non-character for $5-7 less. I ate there a week and a half ago, and never had a character approach my table. That didn't bother me one bit.

The first time I had the dinner buffet (Oct 2001) it was great!!!!! October 2002, not so good. The prime rib was more like Golden Corral roast beef than the Stuart Anderson's quality prime rib I was served the first time.

One night, heading back to the room after a day in the park, we stopped by the bar in the lobby for a drink and cheesecake dessert. Awesome. (Yeah, I had hot chocolate as I don't drink alcohol.)

If you're at all into folk arts, take the art tour of the hotel (if they still do that). Even if you're not that into folk art, take your time to appreciate the art work all around you. Steined glass, decorative floors, iron work, rock work. Too bad they didn't put the art, imagination and detail into DCA that they put into this hotel.

julia
09-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Hi,

I stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel last summer and I didn't want to leave. It is so wonderful to be close to the parks. I loved the Storyteller's Cafe for the character breakfast/buffet and I also loved the quiet, delicious dinner, there, too. It was a great meal, the service was attentive and it was a nice quiet break from the hustle of the parks.

I love the characters, too, but I like to have a bit of space. I was afraid of them when I was little, too. Breakfast with Chip n' Dale was wonderful - they greeted us at the door, but guests have to approach them for pictures, hugs. Whenever I see Chip n' Dale, they both come and give me a kiss and a hug. I love it - those cheeky, naughty chipmunks! And I'm very happily married, too - my husband is not worried about Chip n' Dale, though. Phew! :)

Have a magical day!

disneyprincess81
10-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the warning about the valet parking, I'll let my mom know and leave it up to her, I think she'd rather spend that money on souveniors or something.

I know the Storytellers Cafe has the character breakfast in the morning, so at night for dinner are the characters gone? I don't want to further traumatize my poor brother.

:p

tjrj
10-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the news about a 2nd elevator. Never found that one I guess.

tjrj
10-01-2003, 07:26 AM
For your brother-Pinnochio's Workshop is great! It's a child care center that's in the GC-near the elevator just off the main lobby. Just for kids 2-12. Here on MP, Adrienne K. did a great article when it opened-look under her "Parenting in the Parks" section, I think. My youngest son loved it. Nice way for him to have a blast if the rest of you want to have a more "grown up" dinner or something. Only open to GC guests(or at least it used to be).

cstephens
10-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by disneyprincess81
I know the Storytellers Cafe has the character breakfast in the morning, so at night for dinner are the characters gone? I don't want to further traumatize my poor brother.

:p

The only character meal at Storytellers is breakfast. No characters at lunch or dinner.

adriennek
10-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by tjrj
Here on MP, Adrienne K. did a great article when it opened-look under her "Parenting in the Parks" section, I think. My youngest son loved it. Nice way for him to have a blast if the rest of you want to have a more "grown up" dinner or something. Only open to GC guests(or at least it used to be).

:D Yep, Here it is. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/ak010706.htm)

Adrienne