PDA

View Full Version : Pre BTM Frontierland

ErikBsandiego
09-30-2003, 07:26 AM
I have always wondered how they "shoe horned" a stage coach ride, mule rides, the nature's wonderland railroad, and the indian village all into Frontier land. If I remember right BTM basically "overlaid" the nature's wonderland footprint so how did the rest of the attractions "fit in"?

GREGOR
09-30-2003, 07:45 AM
If I remember correctly, it didn't fit exactly into the footprint. There was no trail around the backside to Fantasyland. They used the entire area plus where the BBQ sits. It's quite a big area when you take all that into account.

Lost Boy
09-30-2003, 08:01 AM
THat is correct. In the original Frontierland that side of the area extended all the way to the Rivers Of America and you could not walk around or through it like now, except you can't now because of the trail closure. Back in "the day" there was no Arena area or Big Thunder Ranch BBQ area, it was all the Painted Desert, Rainbow Caverns and Nature's Wonderland. After a time, the mules, stagescoaches and Conestoga Wagons where all taken out and all the was left was the Mine Train througn Nature's Wonderland. Then the area was closed off, redone and reopened as Big Thunder Mountain. The little mining village that is there today came straight from the load area of Nauture's Wonderland. Some of the Scratching Bears can still be seen on the river bank from any of the boats/ships that go around the Rivers of America, and the rock formations that are at the entrance to Festival Of Fools Arena area and the BBQ are from the Painted Desert portion of the Nature's Wonderland. And, just for trivia's sake, the brokend down train that sits on the banks of the River near the Loading Dock for Columbia/Mark Twain is one of the original Mine Train's from Nature's Wonderland and it didn't crash. It was stopped by an Avalanche and since the route closed, it was left (that is a backstory to why it's there- it is really there as Imagineering's tribute to the original ride). And when the walking trail is reopened when you walk back to the point where the Coaster roars around the corner and into a tunnel, the area right behind you is part of the Nature's Wonderland ride. You can see portions of the tressle bridge that the train crossed into Bear Country and fish can still be seen leaping in the water. I don't know how they have managed to survive this long.:D

tod
09-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
And when the walking trail is reopened when you walk back to the point where the Coaster roars around the corner and into a tunnel, the area right behind you is part of the Nature's Wonderland ride. You can see portions of the tressle bridge that the train crossed into Bear Country and fish can still be seen leaping in the water. I don't know how they have managed to survive this long.:D

This is NOT the "Bear Country" you're probably thinking of, people. It was part of "Nature's Wonderland" where there were bears trying to catch leaping fish.

There are two leaping fish on the Rivers by the kid and his dog on the canoe right before the camp. Are they the same fish, or are they new? Anybody know?

--T
:fez:

Not Afraid
09-30-2003, 12:06 PM
I thought the fish in question were the ones that occasionally leap from the pond along the Big Thunder Trail - under the willow trees.

I've recently noticed the other fish you mentioned. It seems they are working again after a long absense. (Or I just noticed them.;) )

Lost Boy
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Of course I did mean the Bear Country part of Nature's Wonderland, not the area clean on the other side of the River where Critter Country now resides.
And the fish I was referring to are in the pond along Big Thunder Trail. They are the originals and are still working. The fish on the River are new as far as I know cause they weren't there until recently.