PDA

View Full Version : Toon Town

hobo_n
09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Why does it seam like I am the only person i the world who likes Toon Town. I think it was a need area, and has good rides, i love the place when i was a little kid. Why dose everyone I talk to hate it so?

GreatWhiteShark
09-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Really? I never heard that but I am sure there are people out their that do dislike it.

I like the area too, it is more for smaller children, however Roger Rabbit is a great ride.

As long as you like it that is all that matters.

The Photographer
09-29-2003, 05:17 PM
I love Toon Town. Go Coaster is one my faves. Plus I enjoy taking my unsuspecting friends through Mickey's house and getting them into a studio for a photo.

To top it off, the funniest photo ever taken of me was staged in Toon Town. It was my avatar :|

gliterrboy
09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't love it much, but I don't dislike it either. I don't have children, so its not as interesting to me. The one thing I don't like (correct me if I'm wrong) is there is only one entrance to the "land." I like that for all of the other lands you can go through it to something else. But with Toontown you have to go back out the way you came in. When/if I have kids, I'm sure I will spent hours each day in Toontown! :D

Cadaverous Pallor
09-29-2003, 05:42 PM
Here are my minor gripes about Toontown.

There are very few trees, so it gets very hot there.

It's a remote location, so I don't "end up there" too often.

The Go-Coaster is fun but not built for adults. I'm the only person I know that can fit in it without hurting themselves, so even if I want to go, no one wants to go with me.

Goofy's Bounce House and Chip 'n Dale's treehouse are just for kids. I don't have kids. I just get envious watching them clamber over things. I want to go in the bounce house! :mad:

I also hated seeing the lack of upkeep there. It's the most colorful corner of the park and the bad maintenance showed like crazy. But now they're fixing that, right? I haven't been there lately.

But I love Roger Rabbit. And the architecture. And the gags. Once in a great while I'll visit Mickey - I love his house. So I don't hate Toontown. I'm sure most of the reason I'm rarely there is the location thing.

TheatreTech
09-29-2003, 05:48 PM
I really think that it is the location. I love the atmosphere and even the rides. I sometimes squeeze my six foot one-ness into the Go Coaster or through the treehouse but, other than that, all i go over there for is RR. And i sooo want to go in the bounce house.:(

blusilva
09-29-2003, 06:50 PM
I was an adult when it was built. So, obviously, I'll never have that "ooh, it was so fun when I was a kid" thing going on.

But that's a shame to have to say about any single attraction, let alone an entire land in Disneyland, isn't it?

Disneyland is supposed to be a place where adults aren't relegated to the sidelines while the kids get to do stuff. That's my main complaint about Flik's Fun Fair, too.

That being said, I don't "hate" Toontown. I only go there when I want to go on Roger Rabbit, though.

zapppop
09-29-2003, 07:20 PM
I'm with Cadaverous on this one.

To me, ToonTown is an area of DL that's about as appealing as California Adventure.

Here's why:

The Jolly Trolly is so slow you can walk from one end of ToonTown to the other before the trolly arrives. Looks cute but really boring. The Go Coaster has a wait time that averages 1 minute of waiting per second of actual ride. Forty five minutes for 45 seconds is not worth my time. Plus there's an occasional bruise or two getting on and off. The Bounce House is for kids only so scratch that. Mickey's House & Minnie's House are just meet n greets w/ a queue. You can see the characters on Main Street USA with more ease.

Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin is about the only thing I like there but it's hard force myself or anyone else to venture into that area to ride it. Had ToonTown not been built, the area where Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin is located would've been The Little Mermaid dark ride.

I think ToonTown would be more enticing if another dark ride, an E-Ticket attraction and a good dining location were built. Here's hoping.

MonorailMan
09-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
The Go-Coaster is fun but not built for adults. I'm the only person I know that can fit in it without hurting themselves, so even if I want to go, no one wants to go with me.

I'll go with you CP. :D ;)

sleepyjeff
09-29-2003, 07:53 PM
I don't hate Toon-Town. But it does not belong in Disneyland. Disneyland is for Families to have fun together. Most of Toon-Town is for young kids. Older children and adults must stand on the side and just watch. This is sometimes fun for adults with young children, but it is no fun for older kids.

I also dislike Indy for the same reason( this time kids must sit on the sideline).

Would it not be nice if there was a place where kids and adults could have fun together?>>>>>who said that?

Walt built Disneyland after tiring of watching his daughters every weekend ride a merry-go-round that he could not ride with them.

cemeinke
09-29-2003, 08:11 PM
I like toon town. The architecture is a blast, Mickey's House is a neat little museum with lots of fun details to peruse. I even like the Jolly Trolly - which to my mind is about as effective as any other piece of Disney's rapid transit system - and yet it lols about like a drunk. I love all the interactive bit - so the real downside is sharing it with the smaller kids on crowded days. In the off-season, Toontown rocks for the big kids ;)

That said, some real dinning would be nice, and perhpas something to replace or enhance Chip 'n' Dale's play area since that is a bit fallow.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Sounds like the usual gang should shuffle that way more often, especially as it's off-season and all. Perhaps we could not ride Pirates for once? :eek: ;)

I'll take up your offer, MM, but only if the line is decently short. I'm talking 10 minutes. :D

mousey_girl
09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
ToonTown is great first thing in the morning. It isn't too hot yet and the characters are out to play. It is one of the few times I have seen Donald (other than in DCA) and Pluto and Goofy are usually hanging around some where.

Since I don't deal well with crowds and mass confusion this was where we went to get Mickey's and Minnie's autograph.

I just wish there were benches in the shade. That is my one main gripe, no real shade trees.

sleepyjeff
09-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl

I just wish there were benches in the shade. That is my one main gripe, no real shade trees.

For those of you who hope DCA will have more shade in a few years.............Toon-Town must be a little depressing;)

Tref
09-29-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I'm with Cadaverous on this one.

To me, ToonTown is an area of DL that's about as appealing as California Adventure ... I think ToonTown would be more enticing if another dark ride, an E-Ticket attraction and a good dining location were built. Here's hoping.

I must agree with Zappop on this one. All Toontown needs is one great E ride. There is so much potential ...

As it stands now it is an unappealing pre-schooler side show with out of the box rides and little soul.

I remain,

Nephythys
09-30-2003, 05:14 AM
In 2001 I did not even manage to find Toon Town until the day before we left. I knew where it was on a map but we never bothered. This year I went there several times with my daughter. We liked in early in the morning too, we were first in line for Minnie one day! Rose LOVED their houses, especially Minnie's kitchen and Goofy's Bouncehouse.

My favorite thing in Toon Town? The gas station with the fish in the tanks. I like Roger Rabbit too, but we only did that once this year.

Kevy Baby
09-30-2003, 09:58 AM
One of my favorite personal photos was taken in Mickey's house. I believe it would be his living room: a comparatively larger room with a chair. Many groups would stop and take a picture of their group in and around the chair. we went for something different. We squeezed as many people into the room as we could for the photo: us six in our group and about 35 people who we have never met! Almost everybody thought it was hilarious but there are two people in the picture with a "what the heck are we doing?" look on their faces. It was a rainy day (a wonderful way to be at the park believe it or not) and a definite highlight of my life.

Also, while I don't know if this still happens, but if you are at the Bounce House later in the evening and there are no kids in it, you (as an adult) can sometimes get in there. Granted, it has been a couple of years since I have done this and they probably won't allow it any more, but it always bears asking.

Kevy Baby
09-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Oh,and there are TONS of Hidden Mickeys in TT!

mrscoach
09-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I like toon town. The architecture is a blast

Oh, oh! I have a story about the architecture of Toon Town!

I sing with the Euene Opera Company, here in Oregon. In 1997 we did a production of The Mikado. The day we got to rehearse on the stage with full sets, everybody just stood in the Hult Center with their jaws hanging open, staring at the stage. It was the coolest scenery and staging I've ever seen. And as we were blocking that day, I said to our production manager, "something looks really familiar about this set." Turns out the set designer was none other than Mr. Don Carson, Senior Show Designer for Toon Town.
In our program, his credentials with Disney are quite impressive, saying he'd been with Imagineering since 1989. My understanding is that he lives somewhere outside of Eugene now.
To this day, I've never seen a set so full of life. Just try and imagine Toon Town meets The Mikado, and that's what we got to run around on every day. It was great!