PDA

View Full Version : Music in The 20th Century Music Store no more! :(

Gone2Disneyland
04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Walked into the shop today and was so sad to no longer see music for sale in here. But I noticed Disney was offering less music on CD the past couple of years. So it was bound to happen.

But the shop definitely needs a new name.

Gone2Disneyland
04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

oregontraveler
04-21-2014, 10:13 PM
Are you kidding me :( The second picture shows the back corner where most of the CD's & DVD's were kept. Now it looks like another pin store. C'mon DIsney, you can do better than that. So much for the relevance of the Sherman Brothers door next to it.

TTFN92
04-21-2014, 10:20 PM
How sad. I get that stores change but why a pin store.

oregontraveler
04-21-2014, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the 20th Century Music Store 21st Century Pin Store on Main Street.

Jiminy Cricket
04-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Are you kidding me :( The second picture shows the back corner where most of the CD's & DVD's were kept. Now it looks like another pin store. C'mon DIsney, you can do better than that. So much for the relevance of the Sherman Brothers door next to it.

They still have CDs and DVD/Bluray on the shelves shown on the far right of the first picture. They also have books though I did not see sheet music books.

disneyobsessed
04-22-2014, 06:32 AM
They still have CDs and DVD/Bluray on the shelves shown on the far right of the first picture. They also have books though I did not see sheet music books.

The sheet music books have been gone for a while. That was a sad change for my son who bought several books there in the past.

carolinakid
04-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Well, there's another DL store I can now skip. My wallet thanks you!

MadasaHatter
04-22-2014, 09:07 AM
DVDs and CDs are a thing of the past. Just too many people have computers and players as of now....there are no longer players in computers. Just a sign of the time. The store fronts will probably remain frozen as it a turn of the 20th Century Street but inside may not reflect what is outside.....

olegc
04-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Well, there's another DL store I can now skip. My wallet thanks you!

DVDs and CDs are a thing of the past. Just too many people have computers and players as of now....there are no longer players in computers. Just a sign of the time. The store fronts will probably remain frozen as it a turn of the 20th Century Street but inside may not reflect what is outside.....

so MadasHatter made a point to validate what carolinakid stated - now they're all facades that we can mostly skip because the inside of the store is not unique. Why is it that each land has to have the same stores inside the facades? I find that mind boggling. If a guest is supposed to discover and find interesting things with each visit - the company sure makes it easy to just walk on by. This has been said time and again. Walt talks about change, yes, but he also wanted to make sure that there was something available to all guests and it was running all the time because the guests expect that high quality. You can take that mantra to whatever extreme you want. I know Disney is a business - and it shows the confusion of the mission of that business when the merchandise department does lowest common denominator stuff when Attractions and Ops makes sure things like BTMRR come off well.

Oh, and I still buy CDs because its a long term storage medium. and I get some interesting info in the packaging sometimes. There is value in that. I know I am in the minority - but that was the beauty that used to be the parks - you could see that care was put into all things to increase the value to that particular guest's needs.

and here's a question - does that mean that the Park CDs with attraction music are probably a thing of the past as well? You will be forced to digitally download to get the latest? hmmm.

Oh well - I guess some call that "progress".

oregontraveler
04-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Oh, and I still buy CDs because its a long term storage medium. and I get some interesting info in the packaging sometimes. There is value in that. I know I am in the minority - but that was the beauty that used to be the parks - you could see that care was put into all things to increase the value to that particular guest's needs.

and here's a question - does that mean that the Park CDs with attraction music are probably a thing of the past as well? You will be forced to digitally download to get the latest? hmmm.

Oh well - I guess some call that "progress".

Completely agree. Some of us still remember that before the "wall of pins" there used to a custom CD kiosk there.
And the Park CD's have double value, wonderful music and artwork. I wonder how long it will take before the west coast Main Street Cinema turns into retail space???

carolinakid
04-22-2014, 10:54 AM
I loved the custom CD kiosk! All those glorious Disneyland Records available at your fingertips. I got the Babes in Toyland album with Annette & Tommy Sands and the Alice in Wonderland album with Darlene Gillespie as Alice; 2 vinyl albums I loved as a child. I still purchase plenty of CDs and Blurays on Amazon so I still think there's a market for these formats. But I guess another pin store brings in more $$$. I know I'll pass by the 20th Century Music Store now when it used to always be one of my must-stops.

DwarfPlanet
04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
It's getting to be where Main Street will no longer be a stop, just a pass through.

MadasaHatter
04-22-2014, 11:54 AM
I recall our first trip to Disneyland was around 1980 in the winter. It. Was. Cold.

My Mom shopped at PENDLETON in Frontierland and bought warm sweaters and shirts etc. Me and my sister wanted something with Disneyland on it. THe sweatshirt/t-shirt choice was very very limited. In fact I think the ONLY shirt with the words DISNEYLAND on it had Mickey standing with his arms behind his back. Ear hats? They were black. Bows for girls. There was an antique shop, perfume shop and glass shop in NOS....they were so very cool. We marvelled at the glass blowing.

But by the time the millenium hit you could get all of that stuff in the midwest and now you can get ALL of it on line. It no longer is interesting to people visiting from out of town. But retail is still important.

Keep in mind we on this site are all fans. I used to get an ice cream sundae EVERY TRIP to Disneyland because sitting in an ice cream parlor eating a sundae was something I could ONLY do at Disneyland. They ripped that out and created a queue and put the cool antique ice cream bar behind the counter. I knew it was going to be gone soon because NO ONE was ever sitting at the bar with me and my sis tracemountain when we ate said sundaes. Now the t-shirt and ear hat choices are enormous and the speciality shopping is pretty limited. Oh sure....light sabres in TL and Cowboyhats with ears in FL. But for everything that goes something comes in.....most of it are things I don't really care for. I mean look at KODAK....it used to be packed with people buying film and batteries etc.....it's all changed/ing and I wonder what will happen in the future.

On the bright side....you can still see movies on main street, watch them make candy, listen to the Dapper Dans, you can get a cup of coffee and have a place to sit now, you can listen to Ragtime piano, You can ride horseless and horse carriages, you can listen to the DL band, Hear President Lincoln talk, find one of a kind merch at Disneyana, watch the flag ceremony daily, watch the parade, get your silhouette drawn, buy T-shirts and ears still! So it's not all a walk through......

bumblebeeonarose
04-22-2014, 07:07 PM
You forgot to say you're mad...

Gone2Disneyland
04-22-2014, 10:24 PM
Sorry for the small pic I uploaded yesterday. Tried to replace them but can't seem to be able to edit those posts. So here are larger versions.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/TPadDay14Me/General/2014-04-21133644r24_zpse821670a.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/TPadDay14Me/media/General/2014-04-21133644r24_zpse821670a.jpg.html)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa437/TPadDay14Me/General/2014-04-21133620r24_zps62535db6-1.jpg (http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/TPadDay14Me/media/General/2014-04-21133620r24_zps62535db6-1.jpg.html)

candles71
04-23-2014, 10:29 AM
You can only edit for 30 minutes.

DwarfPlanet
04-23-2014, 10:52 AM
There was an antique shop, perfume shop and glass shop in NOS....they were so very cool. We marvelled at the glass blowing.

I used to get an ice cream sundae EVERY TRIP to Disneyland because sitting in an ice cream parlor eating a sundae was something I could ONLY do at Disneyland. They ripped that out and created a queue and put the cool antique ice cream bar behind the counter. I knew it was going to be gone soon because NO ONE was ever sitting at the bar with me and my sis tracemountain when we ate said sundaes. ....

We loved the One of a Kind shop since we like going through antique stores, we miss that.

We used to get sundaes from the other side of the street but now thats gone.

At least they could have done something other than another pin store.

shna
04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
I just wish they'd put a pin store in DCA. There was one before all the CarsLand construction & I was hoping they'd put in a new one when they finished with that project, but no.

ETA: I wonder if the Music Store is just temporarily being used for pins. According to the Refurb List, Westward Ho (the big pin store in Frontierland) is going to be closed for refurbishment from the end of this month (4/28) through the middle of May. It will be interesting to see if most of the pins migrate back out of the Music Store when Westward Ho re-opens.

Disneyphile
04-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Here's a thought:

They should have music download kiosks where people can sample a variety of tracks and build a download "cart" to be sent to their devices. Basically, Disney's own iTunes, but with a physical station that can also offer downloadable self-guided audio tours for mobile devices.

olegc
04-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Here's a thought:

They should have music download kiosks where people can sample a variety of tracks and build a download "cart" to be sent to their devices. Basically, Disney's own iTunes, but with a physical station that can also offer downloadable self-guided audio tours for mobile devices.

yeah - that would be neat - but I also wonder if legal for some reason has trouble releasing some of the content in that fashion. I know thats what kept some of the interesting attractions and information away from the original kiosks - and maybe why there has not been that much added to the park CDs. To go back and get agreements to use music or content, to be released to a consumer and not simply used in a performance by the park, creates a whole boatload of residual payment discussions. Who knows for sure...

MadasaHatter
04-25-2014, 08:06 AM
All of this is very interesting. I notice that more and more Disney pics are on Netflix WATCH INSTANTLY where they used to ALL only be on disc. Things are changing and changing fast. Hold on to yer horses this is the wildest.....wait a minute....I'm in Frontierland.....sigh....I am mad....

shna
04-29-2014, 02:15 PM
For what it's worth, I peeked into that store on Sunday. In the back, on the left wall, there are still CDs. I didn't look to see if there are any sheet music books -- but at least there is SOME music still in that store.

dhcloud
04-29-2014, 03:48 PM
They still have books on a rack between the two doors into the shop as well, but yeah, behind the register and most of the front wall is pins.