PDA

View Full Version : SunWheel needs some repair

justagrrl
09-29-2003, 01:49 PM
We haven't been to DLR since maybe March. We finally were able to go for a few hours today and decided on DCA, as my kids love Grizzly, Soarin and the Sun Wheel.

I was a little hesitant about riding the Sun Wheel. Why? Well - you read all the maintenance horror stories and then see little things in need of attention.

I noticed that the silver covers at the bottom of the Sun Wheel enclosure are coming off. Some of them are actually floating away from the wall in places. My daughter actually asked if they floated off, if the hole would fill up with water. Even she is feeling a little hesitant.

While up in the purple car, I noticed many areas that appeared to have been sprayed with oil. Not just a little drip or something, but like a hose came off, or a hose had a puncture, because there was black spray all over.

And of course, while up there, you start wondering what they little shaking feeling is, what was that sound, etc.

I think that when I can see maintanance issues that need taking care of, it really makes me fearful of riding. I almost passed up on the ride, but my son really digs it and I didn't want to disappoint him because of some fear that I've come to have about it. I don't know - I usually listen to that little voice - but didn't this time. We had a great time. I just wish they didn't make me think of death and injury whenever I see things that need fixing.

As a side note, we went on soarin' and rode on the right half for the first time. Oddly, they only loaded the center seating section. It was fun - and everyone applauded at the end. It's such a great ride to go on with people who haven't been before. Very inspiring somehow.