PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what this is? (RE: an area/old attraction in DL)

eabaldwin
04-18-2014, 07:01 PM
I wasn't really sure where to put this, so if it belongs in another forum please feel free to move it!

Last night, my daughters and I rode on the Casey Jr. Railroad, on the caboose facing the back. On one of the passes, I noticed the stairs and the structure. I have never noticed these before, and don't remember this area from childhood visits. If you are facing the CJRR, it's to the left. Currently there are several carts selling snacks, which block the stairs. The trees have grown to cover the structure quite well, since in the 4 years that we have been going fairly regularly I have never noticed this before. When you walk down the ramp to exit CJRR, one set of stairs to lead up to this area is directly in front of you.

Sorry that the photos aren't the best, but I was in a hurry to get my girls some dinner and the sun was setting already.

This first one is from the exit ramp from CJRR, looking straight ahead. You can see the snack carts on the left and CJRR on the right.

eabaldwin
04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Sorry, I can't seem to attach more than one photo to a post. Here's the next photo. It is a closer look at the building at the top of the stairs.

Malcon10t
04-18-2014, 07:19 PM
That is the Fantasyland station for the Skyway ride. You'd board, and ride through the Matterhorn to Tomorrowland (or vice versa.)

eabaldwin
04-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Grrr... I don't know why the photos are so small. Sorry about that.

Thanks, Malcon for responding. I vaguely remember riding on the Skyway. I remember liking the PeopleMover better. :)

I guess being so focused on little ones in the Parks that I never looked up and noticed it before. Plus, Disney usually seems pretty good about removing/hiding things that are no longer being used.

Thanks again!

Malcon10t
04-18-2014, 08:03 PM
http://www.yesterland.com/images-fantasyland/skywayfant_yungul1956fantasyland.jpg

candles71
04-18-2014, 08:10 PM
They cut some of the trees back not too long ago, because you really had to look for it before.

Janis and Aaron
04-18-2014, 10:12 PM
I've heard that they are going to remove this old remnant of park history soon (termite damage maybe?), so check it out now if you're interested. I think it looks quite quaint sitting back there in the trees, but understand that it may need to come down after 20 or so years of disuse.

candles71
04-19-2014, 07:22 AM
I saw a youtube video someone took. Pretty sure they snuck up there to look around.
I thought it was coming down as well.

tea4two
04-19-2014, 02:44 PM
There is a YouTube video that shows a quick glimpse of a cat feeding station behind the structure, which explains why we used to see DL kitties sunbathing on the stairs in the afternoons.

TTFN92
04-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Sure miss that ride.

amelialourdes
04-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Oh, wow! Haven't seen that for so long I was beginning to think I only dreamt about it. Definitely gonna take a look at this next time I go.

tea4two
04-22-2014, 10:06 PM
It was used to great effect for MHPs last year. A few lights, a fog machine, and snoring/rumbling sounds made the structure look like a lair with a sleeping/waking dragon. Hope they don't tear the structure down until after this year's parties -- it was a fun addition last year.

Drince88
04-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Is that still used for Tink's landing during fireworks?

Promo-Man
04-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Is that still used for Tink's landing during fireworks?

It has never been used for Tink's landing there use to be a tower in there area behind the bathrooms that was used for Tink

CMHusband
05-06-2014, 12:09 PM
It has never been used for Tink's landing there use to be a tower in there area behind the bathrooms that was used for Tink

The Tink landing tower is over closer to BTMRR, backstage to your right. as you go up the first hill, and look to your right, you can see it hidden in the trees.

MadasaHatter
05-06-2014, 12:49 PM
So....it is always hard to get a bead on space in DL but how much space IS there to put an attraction???? Maybe move the MEET AND GREAT up there??? There used to be an entrance and an exit but methinks the exit is totally gone? What about another Dark Ride??? The 7 Dwarf Mine Train!?!?!?! Is the THUNDER RANCH behind that? Or is there storage.....I have so many questions it is driving me mad.....oops....already there....

oregontraveler
05-06-2014, 02:44 PM
So....it is always hard to get a bead on space in DL but how much space IS there to put an attraction???? Maybe move the MEET AND GREAT up there??? There used to be an entrance and an exit but methinks the exit is totally gone? What about another Dark Ride??? The 7 Dwarf Mine Train!?!?!?! Is the THUNDER RANCH behind that? Or is there storage.....I have so many questions it is driving me mad.....oops....already there....

Not sure how much 'viable' real estate is up there. But its not much from what I can tell. I think with all the Cal/OSHA upgrades we have been having, any new public access to that area would have to be ADA accessible. Which is one of the reasons they closed the skyway in the first place. I highly doubt they could put any decent sized attraction up there with out tearing out some of the buildings/backstage area for the Big Thunder Ranch, but that's just me. Some of the more popular fan suggestions have been a meet and greet or coffee/pastry shop and seating area.

currence
05-06-2014, 05:14 PM
I was looking up there the other day and I now think that even something small i.e. meet & greet may be a problem with ADA because of the number of switchbacks needed to meet the slope requirements. Of course, with the princesses as popular as they are, having a ton of switchbacks may not be the worst thing ever for the queue, but people may not feel the same way about exiting afterwards.