PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorn Suites or Crowne Plaza?

mg194
09-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Hello, due to some miscommunication with my wife, I have priceline reservations at the Anaheim Hawthorn Suites and the Crowne Plaza for the same days. We are travelling with two kids so a suite would be nice but I have read some less than glowing reviews of the Hawthorn. Does anyone have a recommendation one way or the other?

Thanks,
Mark

AVP
09-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I just looked up both properties on our great Review System (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi).

The Hawthorn Suites (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrhawthornsuites) has one review, a rating of Three Planets.

The Crowne Plaza Resort (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrcrowneplazaresort) has two reviews, with an average rating of Four Planets.

Hope this helps!

AVP

mg194
09-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks, I had read those. I guess I am just hoping for a couple of additional opinions.

Thanks again,
Mark

junglejoy
09-29-2003, 06:56 AM
We stayed at the Hawthorne about three or four years ago and had a very nice stay. Our only complaint was we were in a no-smoking room on a smoking floor. It was awful. We asked for a change but after four nights were never moved.

The breakfast was great! It had fresh fruit, waffles, eggs, cereal, pancakes - much better than I expected.

We are now Desert Inn and Suite fanatics. It's not nearly as nice but the location is incredible and the prices even better. It has everything we need - especially the suite for the kids!

Aimz
09-29-2003, 07:17 AM
I stayed at the Hawthorne two years ago and had a disappointing experience there. We were also given a non-smoking room on a smoking floor and the hallways reeked. The room itself was spacious (two-bedroom suite), but the air-conditioning didn't work, the hair dryer was busted, there was dirt in the bathtub. We spent some time in the pool, but that was disappointing as well. It's down by the parking garage, and covered by a concrete roof so it feels like you're swimming in the garage, too. The smell of car exhaust got to us after a while, and we didn't stay there long. When we checked out, we complained to the front desk and were greeted with indifference. While at the desk, I did overhear another guest complaining about their room, as well. But, this was two years ago, perhaps it's improved since then.

Aimz

stinkerbell
09-29-2003, 10:45 AM
I stayed at Hawthorn two years ago (my review is on the old review system), and I would never stay there again.

When we checked in, they had no crib for us, so my ten month old had to sleep in her stroller the first night we were there! (Even after I had called two times that morning before we arrived to ensure one would be reserved and in our room!) It was SO bad, but it was the only place I felt she was safe, because the furniture was BROKEN. The drawer fronts were off, and the wood, and nails/staples were exposed. We got a new room the next day, with MORE drawer fronts missing. I told them I wanted a refund if they didn't get someone there ASAP to fix the furniture. They nailed the drawers shut. :rolleyes: We were staying there for six nights, with three adults and three children, so this was not a promising start.

The shuttle system was pretty bad, as we could never get our whole group on a shuttle in the mornings (twice in five days we walked to the park!).....our stop was one of the last ones to get picked up, and our drop/pick up at DLR, was the furthest from the front gates. Several times we weren't even able to get on the last shuttle of the night and had to wait for another shuttle to be dispatched to pick people up.

It was this experience that has had me stay at the Desert Inn, Park Place Inn, and the Howard Johnson and WALK to the park instead of relying on the shuttle system for our family. ;)

Pat-n-Eil
09-29-2003, 02:32 PM
We stayed a the Hawthorn a couple of years ago. It was okay. We weren't overly impressed and the previous comments about the shuttle are true. Not all that convenient as it takes a pretty long trip around town.

The breakfast was fine and the room was fairly spacious, but we opt more for hotels/motels that are right near the park. We've stayed at the Stovall's Best Western before and that was just fine with their bus every 1/2 hour. We've stayed at the Park Place Inn and found it to be very convenient, and last time we got a killer deal with a Hotel discount card I have for the Park Inn Anaheim, which is cool with its 4th floor pool and good parking - also it's location next to McDonalds and Mimis. It also has a nice view of the fireworks if you've left the park before closing. We scored with a $59/night rate and we will do that again - but not this year because we'll be at the Grand Californian! :)