PDA

View Full Version : Golden Horseshoe Variety Show ending for good on Weds. Oct. 8th

dingdong2U
09-25-2003, 08:40 PM
The following information was taken from Dana Daniels e-mail announcement regarding the end of the "Golden Horseshoe Variety Show" that he had been a part of for many, many years. He and the show will be missed...

"It is with great sadness that I report that the last performance of the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show will be October 8th. 2003. Show times will be 11:45 am 1:15 pm 3:00 pm 4:15 pm 5:30 pm. The show will be replaced with the current 5 day show Billy Hill and Hillbillies. That's right... Hillbillies 24/7. I have been performing this show for the last 8 years two days a week five shows a day. That's over 4000 shows folks. It was a pleasure and an honor to be a part of the history of the Golden Horseshoe and I look forward to possibly returning in the future (with a higher daily rate). I would also like to thank my piano player Hal Ratliff for his wonderful piano playing, dedication and consistency. (I'll Be Back)"

Dana Daniels and Hal Ratliff will be missed. R.I.P. Golden Horseshoe Variety Show

--- Mike

MonorailMan
09-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Just when things go from bad to worse, we get this. :(

The show will be missed. :(

Disneyphile
09-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Geesh. Frontierland is making Tomorrowland look pretty darn lively! :(

Morrigoon
09-26-2003, 01:35 AM
Nonsense. Frontierland still has the Shootin' Arcade!:)

Okay... it IS making TL look lively. :(

tjrj
09-26-2003, 05:41 AM
That's very sad news. Yet another mis-step, at least IMO.:( :crying:

spectromen
09-26-2003, 07:36 AM
What horrible news. Does anybody know if it had to do with salaries (Dana hinted at a higher rate in the future) or the park just flat out wanting to eliminate this show?

Doodle Duck
09-26-2003, 07:44 AM
I have always seen the SAME guy play Billy Hill...are there more than one doing the act? 7 days a week?

('are there more than one'...'is there more than one'...hmmmm...'do there be more than one'...)

hbquikcomjamesl
09-26-2003, 08:03 AM
Uh, the "real" Golden Horseshoe Revue (i.e., the one that starred Wally Boag for many years of its run, and had the "Pecos Bill" cartoon as a pre-show) ended quite a few years ago.

I was under the impression (purely from hearsay, since I believe I've only been in the GH once since the old show closed, and only two or three times when it was running) that the current "Golden Horseshoe Variety Show" and "Billy Hill and the Hillbillies" were essentially the same show under two different names.

The Photographer
09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Great Scott!! I'd better be able to catch the earlier flight if I'm gonna see the show one last time. (long story on flight).

I love the show. Dane is hilarious and Hal is always on cue. This makes me so sad but maybe Disney will pay him what he's worth and he can further his other comedic work.

Gemini Cricket
09-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Seeing as how they're looking for things for guests to do nowdays (w/ Splash, BTMRR and Space Mtn down) why didn't any of those suits say, 'Gee, maybe we should keep the show running until Frontierland gets its mountain back'?

Boy, they're really letting everything in this park go to the dumps. Why not just call it 'Six Flags Disneyberry Farm' already?

:mad:

Cadaverous Pallor
09-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
I was under the impression (purely from hearsay, since I believe I've only been in the GH once since the old show closed, and only two or three times when it was running) that the current "Golden Horseshoe Variety Show" and "Billy Hill and the Hillbillies" were essentially the same show under two different names. This isn't true. Billy Hill is a different show.

BTW, how many of you have actually seen The Golden Horseshoe Revue? I have to admit that I haven't. :( I guess we have something we need to do.

Doodle, I think there's only one lead Billy Hill. But I'm no expert. And BTW, they're all "brothers" named Billy Hill. :D

<derail>
GC - If you need reasurring that Disney still has something on Six Flags, go visit Magic Mountain. We just visited a month ago and it made me feel a lot better about DCA. MM is the dirtiest place on earth. :eek: I still love the rides though.
</derail>

innerSpaceman
09-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
BTW, how many of you have actually seen The Golden Horseshoe Revue? I have to admit that I haven't. I guess we have something we need to do.
I'm sure it was inadvertent, but please, kids, don't confuse the Golden Horseshoe Revue with the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show. The only thing they have in common is that they both played inside the Golden Horseshoe Saloon.

CP - you'd need a time machine if you still "need to do" the Golden Horseshoe Revue. That would take some doin', but it would be worth the trip.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks, "innerSpaceman."

daveinMN
09-26-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
This isn't true. Billy Hill is a different show.

BTW, how many of you have actually seen The Golden Horseshoe Revue? I have to admit that I haven't. :( I guess we have something we need to do.
</derail>

I have! I actually liked Fulton Burley and Dick Hardwick. And Betty. They were Awesome!
I have seen Walley Boag, too, but I was way too young to appreciate him.

If you come up with a time machine, please PM me immediately! I want to go back to about 1986 and videotape the opening sequence of Videopolis and see the Golden Horshoe Revue again!

dave stuck in Mn

Matterhorn Fan
09-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck
I have always seen the SAME guy play Billy Hill...are there more than one doing the act? 7 days a week?There's subs for when one or more of the main Billys has to be away (and the show's a little different then). I would assume this means that those subs will be working more now.

GoldenEars
09-26-2003, 03:52 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and Disney will bring back the original Golden Horseshoe Review by Disneyland's 50th! Now that would be a REAL treat. Come on, the *Golden* is already in the name, so how fitting it would be!:D

Here's Hoping~
Patrick

SoCalDisneyLover
09-26-2003, 05:01 PM
For anyone who saw the "Original" Revue...would it be a big expense to have a show like that once again? Was cost the reason Disneyland got rid of it, or did they just figure since it was a popular attraction, which people enjoyed seeing...that they should take immediate steps to end it?

Elly
09-26-2003, 10:21 PM
I have seen all three shows and they were all great! I think it's too bad they are ending the Variety Show since it gave another choice if you had recently seen Billy Hill. Weird that they would cancel it. When we went this summer, we actually went to a showing which was supposed to be Billy Hill but turned out to be the Variety Show. I was puzzled by that. Anyway, the old Revue was great. If any of you haven't taken the time to see these shows, I highly recommend it!