PDA

View Full Version : Country Bear Closing Final Thoughts...

Pages : [1] 2

pullmyfinger.com
09-08-2001, 11:24 AM
Went to CB yesterday. Place was running jam-packed shows.

Some things:

They were giving out commerative COUNTRY BEAR CLOSING pins to cast members, so I was happy I went to get one. Becasue they are Cast Member Only, you may want to get down by Sunday to retrieve this collector's item.

Also, the CB coin pressing machines were very busy.

You know, I looked around the entry way to the attraction, the waiting room, and there is alot of detail in this place. The theaters too. I mean, this ain't no Chucky Cheese! CB is a large-scale big -time classic, the perfect show to show to children for years and years.

While the show was running, I was sad. Very sad to see this attraction go. This is not like America Sings closing. America Sings was great, though, I feel, never achieved Classic status in the Pirates/Haunted Mansion level. CB, I feel, is a classic.

Which brings me to this point: I fear that, with this run-and-gun-mtv-quick-decision-making-Paul-Pressler regiem at the reigns of the Disneyland/Disney World, may we see more of this, the closing of attractions of classic status?

Let me make a poitn: I am EXTRTEMELY happy and excited that Mansion Holiday is happening, as I was (and still am) happy with the Small World Holiday Makeover. But, I fear that, someone from the office of pressler may look at Mansion and say, HEY! Let's put Bette Midler's head in the Crystal Ball and Christopoher Walken as a Hitch-hiking ghost and we can sell many, many tickets, thus, eliminating the CLASSIC mansion. I feel that mansion should never be changed (except for the once a year makeover) and that it should remain the same for 1,000 years to come. That is the genius of Mansion, Pirates, Small World: they were designed to (quoting from American Adventure's Ben Franklin) "endure the rigors of time".

I hope that the closing of Bears, a well-designed, beautifuly manicured, great capacity attraction is not a sign of things to come.

EandCDad
09-08-2001, 11:34 AM
Why worry, I heard it was coming back with a Movie related show. They aren't going to put Pooh there or anything, are they. Not sure where I heard all this.

zapppop
09-08-2001, 11:38 AM
I'm a little sad to see them go, but I was never really into the show so I'm not too upset. Plus the original one is still in The Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.

You mentioned the Haunted Mansion Christmas makeover:
Does it bother anyone else that the Haunted Mansion will be decorated for Christmas this Halloween http://www.ukobservers.net/cwm/contrib/sarge/Oogle_anim.gif I get the connection but it just seems kinda odd.http://www.ukobservers.net/cwm/contrib/owen/spin2.gif

pullmyfinger.com
09-08-2001, 11:39 AM
EandCDad shows his flying colors by posting in a way that is condescneding to the topic and poster. He is reported, yet again. Please, folks, lets stay on the topic.

pullmyfinger.com
09-08-2001, 11:43 AM
...that NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS is a movie that combines elements of both Halloween and XMAS. With the cult following this film has developed (and the HUGE merchandise following it has), I am confident HM Makeover will be a big hit.

I do love Holiday Makeovers. Will miss the bear makeover, though, you are right. At least Orlando will have it when I go there in November!

BTW...does TOHYO Disneyland have a Bears? They're not buying this one from Disneyland like they did "stealing" the TERRIFIC Mickey Mouse Review from Orlando for a HUGE sum of money! Just curious.

DisneylandKid
09-08-2001, 11:56 AM
Yes, I believe Tokyo Disneyland has the Bears in Frontierland (oddly not Critter Country...built before probably). MAYBE the bears will go to Paris (though, as everyone, I hope they are just relocated to across the Esplanade.)

pullmyfinger.com
09-08-2001, 12:07 PM
...would be Perfects by The Rapids Area. But where, specifically, would u put it?

beanpole
09-08-2001, 12:24 PM
It wasn't until I was hit with the reality of the show closing that I realized why I will miss it so much. Beyond the show itself, the environmental aspects of the show - including the winding entranceway, the pre-show waiting area, and the charmingly rustic theatre - provided plenty of fascinating detail to fire the imagination.

I'm one of those people who thrill to comparably mundane details such as the smell of wood floors, dusty old lanterns hanging on the walls, thick velvet curtains, dark and mysterious ambient lighting, and other design elements found in classic DL attractions. At CBJ in particular, these details created a world within a world - a thematically unified environment to enjoy amongst the other themed areas in DL. When I tired of the high energy atmosphere surrounding Splash Mountain, I looked forward to the quiet, slightly mysterious environment of CBJ.

In the stillness and quiet of the waiting area, I soaked up the deep county ambience, all the while waiting with happy anticipation for those huge theatre doors to open. Once seated in the theatre, I craned my neck as I looked around at the fascinating textures and colors all around, paying extra attention to the three animal heads on the wall. (Once, as a teenager, I stood directly below them after the show ended, just to listen to the hum of machinery and wonder about the complex tangle of mechanics within.) Above all, I enjoyed the intricacies of the show, the fast pacing, the rich sound of the highly compressed audio tracks, and the clever interplay of AA figures and multimedia elements such as the hilarious slide show sequence.

I'll miss CBJ. I'll miss the show and my favorite characters. Most of all, I will miss the themed environment and the way it fired my imagination. Do I believe in singing bears and wise-cracking mounted animal heads? You bet. Walt knew I would.

pullmyfinger.com
09-08-2001, 01:23 PM
...the ambience at the Disneyland Bears show is first class.

Does Pressler et al beleive that EVERY attraction has to be jam-packed with people constantly? Theater show capacities will always eb and flow. Guest LOVE an attraction when you can walk into at any time w/o a wait (Timekeeper, for instance...another great show with a HUGE capacity...just becasue it isnt full all the time is no reason to pull it).

Besides, Bears was a great place for mom (or dad) to take the kids who didnt meet the height requirment of Splash while the other family members rode the ride.

I do not mind a new attraction, Disney. But, please, stop getting nito the habit of closing one to bring in another, You have PLANTY of room by the old Fantasyland Skyway atation or by the hardly (never?) used Arena/BBQ area. What about the old Boat Ride area in Fantasyland?

Closing bears, I beleive, is all about budget and HOW much can we sell the bears at the next Disneyana convention. Funny how Disney is closing rides (Rocket Rods, Bears) at a time when they are not opening any new ones or, with not even ONE new ride announced around the corner.

Is the day of the BIG BUDGET, PIRATES-like E-Ride over? Or, perhaps, an all new Bears attraction...stay-tuned...

MickeyMoose15
09-08-2001, 04:11 PM
Bring on WINNIE THE POOH!!!!!

pixiepal
09-08-2001, 06:13 PM
Please forgive me if I am mistaken,
but aren't you the person who SWORE up one side and down another that the bears aren't closing, but just being "redone" to fit the new movie?
I am totally confused....but then I AM just a lowly teacher.
And please don't refer to EandCDad as "condescneding". His reply is quite fitting, considering who it is directed towards.

BTW...I may only be a science teacher, but you get an "F" for spelling.

DisneylandBoy
09-08-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by pixiepal
Please forgive me if I am mistaken,
but aren't you the person who SWORE up one side and down another that the bears aren't closing, but just being "redone" to fit the new movie?
I am totally confused....but then I AM just a lowly teacher.
And please don't refer to EandCDad as "condescneding". His reply is quite fitting, considering who it is directed towards.

BTW...I may only be a science teacher, but you get an "F" for spelling.

HERE HERE! GREAT JOB PIXIEPAL!

MickeyMoose15
09-08-2001, 07:39 PM
It is sort of weird that they are closing the attraction before the movie comes out in Summer 2002 but I guess it had to go!

FantasmicFan82
09-08-2001, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by pullmyfinger.com
A brand new attraction does not necessarily mean a total redo of the attraction. Keep your eyes out for a totally new COUNTRY BEAR REDO!
Bears Closing, sounds like a rehab.

Originally posted by pullmyfinger.com
Note the clever wording. Nowhere do you see that COUNTRY BEARS is leaving forever. Just a makeover.
The “Country Bear Playhouse ... will lower the curtain on its 29-year run on Sunday, September 9, 2001. The longtime attraction will be making way for an undisclosed future attraction that is still in development. ...
Bears Closing, sounds like a new ride.
___
And MUST you keep going back to the Haunted Rehab. Stop changing the subject, you started it. There are threads for the Rehab, but hey, it's your way of dodging Questions.

ODV CM
09-08-2001, 09:10 PM
I'd say its definately time for it to go. Why let it sit there with no audiences? People are glad that its there but not glad enough to go see it? Put in something that can better use the space, whatever it turns out to be. Although it is odd that they close it before the movie comes out. Should have waited, and then closed it when the hype went down.

marron-cream
09-09-2001, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by ODV CM
I'd say its definately time for it to go. Why let it sit there with no audiences?

Huh? No audiences? That's news to me. I've never seen the place empty. Sure, it wasn't always jam packed, but there were people watching it. The Tiki Room isn't always full either, are you saying that ought to be taken out too?

Right now, DL desperately needs all the attractions it can get. There's no reason for them to take out the Bears.

More from the dirty rumors file: I heard last night that there's talk about paving over the little stream that runs by Pooh's meet and greet area. Now I know they're going to have to redo a lot of stuff for whatever they're sticking in there, but I hope they find some way to keep the stream. It's peaceful and it's eye candy.

DisneylandKid
09-09-2001, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by marron-cream
More from the dirty rumors file: I heard last night that there's talk about paving over the little stream that runs by Pooh's meet and greet area. Now I know they're going to have to redo a lot of stuff for whatever they're sticking in there, but I hope they find some way to keep the stream. It's peaceful and it's eye candy.

I agree 100%. I've said it in other threads!

MickeyMoose15
09-09-2001, 10:59 AM
Now you have to ask yourself how long will it be till the WDW version is gone or some other classic ride will stick around?

Gemini Cricket
09-09-2001, 07:19 PM
I guess the way to sum up the whole Country Bear Playhouse closure is... "oh Pooh!!!":mad:

DisneylandKid
09-09-2001, 08:17 PM
Why would they be closing CBJ if they are not starting construction the next day? And since, according to the media, Disney has not finalized plans for that location, how could construction begin?

Gauchograd99
09-09-2001, 08:36 PM
A few CM's that I have spoken to about this ride (and about Eisner, but that is another thread all together) have said they will still have hours, but there will be a closure well before the new ride begins building. Besides, from what I have seen it will probably be a gutting of the showroom (probably for sale) and then shoring up the walls for putting in crappy cut-outs of Pooh and painting walls blue with trees on them. The CM's work a few different attractions (for those who did not know that yet) so they will just pick-up a bit more on other shifts. This is also happening at a time when the park is cooling off so there will be less resistance and the summer help is gone... convienent for filling summer job space without hiring more people.

I already miss the bears, and I wanna thank Bob (a great CM) for all the joyfilled jokes and comments in the times he was working. Thank you to all the Imagineers who were involved in the attraction, the summer and Christmas "rehabs," and everyone else involved in keeping the bears there this long.

CaliforniaCrazy
09-09-2001, 09:18 PM
I am just wondering, does anyone have a downloadable mp3 file of the Country Bear Christmas show? I've been trying to hear this show again, but to no avail. By the way, went to see the show today for the last time, and the place was packed, as packed as I've ever seen it. I guess people don't realize how special the show is until it is 'Going into permanent hibernation'.

Ralph Wiggum
09-09-2001, 09:25 PM
I spoke with Al today and he said that they will be tearing down the attraction tomorrow. I dont think it has anythign to do with construction of the new ride though, its just so they can keep track of everything and get it into storage before things get lost or stolen!

amynicole22
09-10-2001, 07:48 AM
I went on Saturday (my first trip in 9 months) to say goodbye to the Bears. :crying: And you know what - even after all my moaning and whining, I'm ok now. The more I looked at my old pals, the more old and tired they appeared. Matted fur, dusty props - they looked worn-out. So, maybe it is time for them to retire. If they all got a makeover and were relocated to DCA, I'd be thrilled, but if not, it's all right.

I still hope that whatever they put in is comparable to the quality of the Country Bear show, in detail and showmanship.

I miss Big Al already, but I suppose that I can go visit him in Florida if need be. Time marches on.

merlinjones
09-10-2001, 08:42 AM
Sadly, the demise of the Country Bears is another step in the eventual elimination of unique characters at the parks. They won't stop until every attraction is stuffed only with Disney Store worthy franchise characters.

Note the newest Splash Mountain merchandise - - Mickey, Donald and Goofy have replaced Brer Rabbit, Bear and Fox. Tarzan replaces the Robinsons. Jack Skellington comes to Haunted Mansion. Pooh replaces Bears. What's next? Jungle Book Cruise? Pocahontas Island? Muppets of the Carribbean? Recess Rods?

The closing of Country Bear Jamboree one year prior to the opening of a major motion picture based on the attraction shows that vertical integration and synergy is a myth. It cannot function properly in a corporation entrenched in stale management baggage, systems, statistics, marketing theory and infighting. Common sense has left the ranks, even by business standards. Why abandon the brand just as you seek to relaunch it? Wierd people... wierd!