PDA

View Full Version : DLR Attraction Closures- How Do I Fill Five Days?

Anthony
09-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Greetings from Phoenix,

I can really use the MP experts for some guidance, please.

My DLR trip begins on October 22, and I have a few questions that I am stuck on.

-First, as slow as it apparently is at DLR, is it still necessary to call ahead to reserve dining options at the park? Is it slow enough that I could just show up on the day of, and have a meal at one of the restaurants? Or do you only need to call ahead for the fancy ones?

-Next, my GF and I arrive around 3pm. With the parks shortened hours, what should we do with that initial time? Should we check into the GCH and chill, or should we attempt to start with one of the parks?

-Moving on, with soooo many attractions down, what kinds of things can we do to stay busy? Do you recommend the tours? Are there local beaches that are cool, or anything like that?

-For room service tipping, where do you leave the tip in the room? Is there a designated spot for it?

Any other tips or ideas for a fun trip would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

mrscoach
09-25-2003, 07:54 AM
I think Venice Beach, which is just up the highway about an hour, is cool. Also, you can look into being in a studio audience for a sitcom taping in Burbank or Studio City, if you're there on a day that a show is taping (and something usually is). They're free, and it's pretty fun. We've seen King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond - it was great.

jrad32
09-25-2003, 08:01 AM
There's plenty to do. You should buy a Southern Calif. guidebook like Fodors.

Here's a few things to do
-La Brea Tar Pits
-Beach - I like Newport and Huntington
-San Diego - Hit the Zoo or Wild Animal Park, or the beach at Coronado.
-Farmers Market off Fairfax I believe, great food
-Check out Hollywood
-Check out the big observatory (Griffith?)
-Museums
-Universal Studios

Nephythys
09-25-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Anthony
Greetings from Phoenix,

I can really use the MP experts for some guidance, please.

My DLR trip begins on October 22, and I have a few questions that I am stuck on.

-First, as slow as it apparently is at DLR, is it still necessary to call ahead to reserve dining options at the park? Is it slow enough that I could just show up on the day of, and have a meal at one of the restaurants? Or do you only need to call ahead for the fancy ones?

I was there in July and noted that the only 2 places I needed reservations is Goofy's Kitchen and Blue Bayou- but even those had reasonable waits-

-Next, my GF and I arrive around 3pm. With the parks shortened hours, what should we do with that initial time? Should we check into the GCH and chill, or should we attempt to start with one of the parks?

That's really up to you- you could spend the afternoon leisurely browsing in Downtown Disney, have a nice dinner and then hit the park in the morning

-Moving on, with soooo many attractions down, what kinds of things can we do to stay busy? Do you recommend the tours? Are there local beaches that are cool, or anything like that?

-For room service tipping, where do you leave the tip in the room? Is there a designated spot for it?

Any other tips or ideas for a fun trip would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Have a great great time- I also think that the Birnbaum Guide has some great tips, for DL, DCA and surrounding areas- you can get one at your local Disneystore

DBJ
09-25-2003, 10:32 AM
If your'e in the mood for an amazing Halloween experience, then check out Knott's Halloween Haunt which will be running on those nights.

SacTown Chronic
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey Anthony,

If you are young and in love, then you will have no problem filling your hours. In fact, you will find that time just flies out the hotel window........;)

Cadaverous Pallor
09-25-2003, 01:00 PM
I would also recommend the Halloween Haunt, aka Knott's Scary Farm. Always a great time for adults - does your GF scare easily? ;) They sell out for some days, so buy your tickets now (http://halloweenhaunt.com/tickets/index.shtml) if you are interested.

Restaurants should be fine. I recommend making reservations ASAP, just in case, but the only one I'd actually worry about is the Blue Bayou. If you want to go there, make the reservation in the morning when you enter the park.

mlnreplyer
09-26-2003, 07:06 AM
The first day, when you get there at three, I would recommend just lounging around a while. I suggest that after a few hours eat dinner at Mimi's or Millie's, then walk down the street to Downtown Disney and do Downtown Disney stuff. Walk to your hotel room, sleep, but set an alarm clock. You'll find that (or at least I have) that you'll sleep as long as you can, but if you set an alarm for about an hour before park opening, you'll be fine. Go to Disneyland. If there's a rope drop, that's cool. Rope drop is good, it's tradition. Love the rope drop, be the rope drop. Make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes. This is a must! Yes, a must. Carouse a bit, and don't let yourself be confined by time. If you do, it won't be any fun. On the second day, go out and do some of the other L.A. things recommended earlier on this post. Same on the third day. Fourth day, go play Millionaire. Try to get in the Hot Seat. You only have ten chances a day. Always try to figure out the Fastest Finger, however complicated it may be. And, once you see the correct answer, even if the keypad hasn't been activated, press the button as fast as you can. Look at my post on 'Scale of Obsession with Millionaire' on the second or maybe third page to see how the game is scored. Use this information wisely. Other fun things to to at DCA...fun things to do at DCA...here are some other fun things to do at DCA...still sounds funny. I'm not trying to scare anybody, don't run. Go through the Mission Tortilla Factory. Go into Flik's Fun Fair and try to find the one four-leaf clover. Ride California Screamin'. Ride the Maliboomer and Mullholland Madness. Ride Grizzly River. Ride Soarin' Over California. Take your remaining four hours and reride the rides you especially liked. All two of them. Sorry, I'm a little bitter today. So, in conclusion, stop by and say hi, and if you see a really tall kid with huge black hair, that's me, so say hi.