PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn down this summer?

Pages : [1] 2

DannyeF
03-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Hi, folks
Any truth to the Matterhorn being down from May 27-Aug 14? I've heard it's on the Disneyland website, but I can never find where their refurbishments are listed. Thanks
Dannye

TTFN92
03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
That would be kinda crazy to shut it down all summer. Especially since it just had it's major refurb a few years ago.

olegc
03-10-2014, 01:39 PM
AVP just posted the new list
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?205407-Updated-Disneyland-Resort-summer-refurbishment-list

Matterhorn Bobsleds closed May 27 through August 14 for refurbishment.

that sounds like most of summer to me.

TTFN92
03-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Guess I was wrong. Is it just me or does it seem like more refurbs than usual?

shna
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Maybe they will fix the problems they created with the last refurb. Those sleds are so incredibly uncomfortable now. We won't even ride any more. Even DD thinks the ride is uncomfortable (and she's small).

HeavenOnEarth
03-10-2014, 02:36 PM
Yea pretty ridiculus when there shutting down a good portion of the E-Ticket rides around Spring Break into Summer. One also has to wonder...is it really worth the price for an AP now. It would be more accomadating to guests if they actually had these major refurbs down
during off peak times.

candles71
03-10-2014, 07:38 PM
There in lay the problem. There is very little off peak time since Carsland opened.

Malcon10t
03-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Yea pretty ridiculus when there shutting down a good portion of the E-Ticket rides around Spring Break into Summer. One also has to wonder...is it really worth the price for an AP now. It would be more accomadating to guests if they actually had these major refurbs down
during off peak times.When do you consider "off peak"?

Yes, Indy is closed during spring break.

Yes, Matterhorn is closed during the summer.

Yes, Space will be closed at the beginning of summer.

How is this "a good portion" of the e-tickets? During the summer, BTMRR, Splash, HM, POTC, Indy, Star Tours, and Space (after the first 3 weeks) will all be up. 1 "Mountain" will be down, how is that a "good portion"?

HeavenOnEarth
03-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Its still a good portion of rides down during "real busy" times. Like exactly what TTFN92 said...it seems like more than the normal amount of good rides being down. Really...you dont know what I mean by "off peak"? Jan -Feb, 2nd half of Sept into beging Oct...etc...

candles71
03-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Its still a good portion of rides down during "real busy" times. Like exactly what TTFN92 said...it seems like more than the normal amount of good rides being down. Really...you dont know what I mean by "off peak"? Jan -Feb, 2nd half of Sept into beging Oct...etc...
The bolded dates....Not anymore. Our friends went this February, in the same time frame they have traditionally gone, and were surprised at how much busier it was than they were used to. Splash was down, as well as Nemo, Small World, and Thunder.

olegc
03-11-2014, 09:36 AM
The bolded dates....Not anymore. Our friends went this February, in the same time frame they have traditionally gone, and were surprised at how much busier it was than they were used to. Splash was down, as well as Nemo, Small World, and Thunder.

i think its difficult to gauge off-peak. You have large swaths of AP holders, different school districts and states having major breaks, and so many conventions and events in the anaheim area. Add to that targeted marketing for different parts of the country - and I think the only off-peak any more is weekdays 10am to 1 or 2pm for 2nd half of feb into part of March - and I would say september only (halloweentime starts end of september and you start to see growth).

That being said - the fall protection upgrades someone mentioned in another thread are most likely a big reason for so many refurbs (and initial prep for the 60th maybe?), and you just have to pick a time. Legal will get their way, and Operations and Maintenance can only do so much these days. Example - memorial day weekend you have the 24 hour party from the 23 to 24th, then in 2 hours you start again with a grad night on Sat until Sunday 4am or 5am, then you start 3 hours later with Sunday and Monday of Memorial day Weekend. When is a good time to do daily maintenance let alone longer?

Unfortunately this now is the norm I think. With the 60th coming around the corner we could see more updates.

POTCpurist
03-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Maybe they will fix the problems they created with the last refurb. Those sleds are so incredibly uncomfortable now. We won't even ride any more. Even DD thinks the ride is uncomfortable (and she's small).

This. And this again.

Matterhorn used to one of my top rides, but sadly no longer. I rode it once after the refurb and promptly told my sister (who didn't ride with me) once we met up "I will never ride that again" :(

New bobsleds are uncomfortable and the ride in them is uncomfortable.

candles71
03-11-2014, 12:30 PM
This. And this again.

Matterhorn used to one of my top rides, but sadly no longer. I rode it once after the refurb and promptly told my sister (who didn't ride with me) once we met up "I will never ride that again" :(

New bobsleds are uncomfortable and the ride in them is uncomfortable. On this subject, I was one of the biggest compainers and I rode it the day it re-opened. Since then, I know what to expect and have ridden a few more times, sitting up and holding the bar in front of me solves most of the issues I had, the biggest being sitting back has me rolled onto my tailbone.

Malcon10t
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Its still a good portion of rides down during "real busy" times. Like exactly what TTFN92 said...it seems like more than the normal amount of good rides being down. Really...you dont know what I mean by "off peak"? Jan -Feb, 2nd half of Sept into beging Oct...etc...I know what you mean, but I disagree that there is enough time in those small slots to complete the projects needed. So, they need 10 weeks for a project. 2nd half Sept to Beginning of October? Realistically, you have 2 weeks at the end of Sept for "off peak" before you hit Dapper Days/Gay Days/UEA weeks/Halloween. Jan? The race weekend in mid Jan, along with the 3 day weekend ends the "peak time" of Christmas, so you can have the last 2 weeks of Jan and the first 2 of Feb before it gets busy. Oh and the first 2-3 weeks of May.

Basically, off peak has become 6-8 weeks spread out through the year. But, you can't string 10 of them together for a real refurbishment project. Rides are going to be down.

Yes, during Spring Break periods, Indy, Alice, and IASW will be down. I don't consider this to be a good portion of the E-ticket rides.

In the month of June, Space Mountain, Alice, and Matterhorn will be down, SPace Mountain, for 3/4 of the month.

July, Matterhorn will be down.

Aug - Matterhorn will be down.

If it isn't worth it to you to get an AP, don't do it. Vote with your wallet.

bumblebeeonarose
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm disappointed that Matterhorn is down AGAIN. However, I don't think it is that many rides down. The biggest problem is in June when both Space and Matterhorn are down. Of course, that is when we're visiting. At least Space Mountain should open on our last day. Everything should be running well across the esplanade at DCA, so it is still a LOT of rides to choose from.

corona
03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
The refurb listing has disappeared.

HeavenOnEarth
03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
Rode it yesterday...geez those bobsleds made that ride so painfully uncomfortable. Its like riding a skateboard...you have to press your back against certain parts, other parts you need to lift your butt up.

bumblebeeonarose
04-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Is the Matterhorn still scheduled for refurb this summer? It's kind of weird but two other sites were showing it as down for refurb, but Mouseplanet was not. Now those other sites are not showing it down, but Mouseplanet is. LOL! It's too early to see on Disneyland's site as it doesn't go out to the 27th yet. Touringplans.com does not show Matterhorn down.

corona
04-14-2014, 05:08 PM
The original dates were removed from disneyland.com, and there is no new official schedule, but the refurb may happen 8/25 through 11/13.

FeistyDisneyMom
04-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Matterhorn was down for refurb during our last visit, so I had it on the 'must do' list this time. Hadn't heard how uncomfy the seats are - this was going to be the first big rollercoaster for my daughter; should I reconsider that?

currence
04-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Ever since they got rid of the cuddle seats, I really can't recommend this as a child's first roller coaster. The biggest problem is that you are now sitting in single seats (rather than the old 'cuddle' seats) and the seat backs are relatively high. We let our daughter go on the ride when she was 4 and got a few comments from people in line. She had been on the ride before it closed and liked other roller coasters so I wasn't worried ... but it's a long ride if halfway through she decides it's not for her and other than sit right behind her and let her hold your hand there really isn't anything you can do until the ride is over.

Most people recommend Gadget's Go Coaster as a good 'first' roller coaster. From there, I would probably now recommend Big Thunder, then Space (but only if the child is okay with dark and NOT during Halloween time), then Matterhorn.

Malcon10t
04-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Ever since they got rid of the cuddle seats, I really can't recommend this as a child's first roller coaster. Add to this, the new height requirement of 42"... Gadgets is 36", so we usually have them start there. Big Thunder would probably be next, or Splash (where they can sit beside the parent.)

megzrg
04-18-2014, 02:39 PM
I agree, start them out on Gadgets. That was my son's first roller coaster ride and we graduated from there.

I was thinking that Goofy's Flying School would be a close second to Big Thunder Mountain RR for a second level roller coaster, and you can hold on to your child on both of them so they aren't sitting alone.

Malcon10t
04-18-2014, 02:45 PM
I agree, start them out on Gadgets. That was my son's first roller coaster ride and we graduated from there.

I was thinking that Goofy's Flying School would be a close second to Big Thunder Mountain RR for a second level roller coaster, and you can hold on to your child on both of them so they aren't sitting alone.Goofys Sky School is 42".

currence
04-18-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't like Goofy's Flying school so it doesn't even cross my mind when thinking about roller coasters at the Disneyland resort :) Doesn't it also have a slightly higher than 40" requirement? If so, it would be behind the 40" coasters for the youngest daredevils.

My fairly tall 5 year old just because tall enough to go on Soarin' over California. She was soooo excited - and had a great time.

To try to get this back on track, I really do hope that the Matterhorn seats are made more comfortable while the ride is down.