PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain to reopen March 17th

Tony
03-07-2014, 01:03 PM
The Disney parks Blog has announced that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will reopen on March 17th.

In addition to an upgraded track, restoration of the historic Rainbow Ridge Mining Town (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/07/behind-the-wall-update-on-big-thunder-mountain-railroad-at-disneyland-park/), repainting on portions of the mountain and updates to the ride vehicles, the refurbishment (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/behind-the-walls-update-on-big-thunder-mountain-railroad-refurbishment-at-disneyland-park/) also includes some new surprises that guests should be on the lookout for when they ride again beginning March 17.

See video from the finale: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152296906989808&stream_ref=10

TTFN92
03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Yay! Just in time for our trip!!!

HeavenOnEarth
03-07-2014, 01:19 PM
Hallelujah!!!

candles71
03-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Yay!!!!

Pammer
03-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Awww...just missed it! :D

letshavefun
03-07-2014, 04:24 PM
That's great news for all the people with upcoming trips.

sjhanksaz
03-27-2014, 02:40 PM
So is the train smoother now?

HeavenOnEarth
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
OMG!! That is the smoothest coaster I have ever rode, feels like your floating on air :-)

cstephens
03-27-2014, 03:58 PM
So is the train smoother now?

Smoother and very quiet.

Wedge
03-29-2014, 08:08 PM
Yes, it is very smooth. I still think the last 2 cars can get a bit bouncy, but anything row 9 or lower is probably the smoothest I have ever felt on a rollercoaster. But don't get me wrong, smooth does not take away from the fun of the coaster. If anything to me it added to it. I was able to enjoy the ride more than having to brace myself from being bounced around. Also I convinced my mom to go with me where she said she would never go on it again after the last time I took her :). This time was totally different and she really liked it, said she would even do it again willingly.

shna
04-01-2014, 09:29 AM
DH and I were both very impressed with the new-and-improved BTMRR when we rode it late Friday night. Now if they could make Matterhorn that comfortable...

Doug
04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Yes, it smoother, I don't know if I would call it my favorite ride in the park now... Why did they make it smoother? It was fine! Unlike Matterhorn, which I hate because it is so rough..... The "Finale" is great.... What color temperature is the red of those lanterns? Ha! I did not know that was the finale, because the ride continues after that point, so....

Janis and Aaron
04-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Why did they make it smoother? It was fine!

My DH can now ride BTMRR again because it is so smooth. He started having issues with motion sickness on it a few years ago, partly because of the jerkiness. (I never thought that the jerkiness was too bad, but his system must be more delicate. LOL) Since the remodel, he does just fine on it. Yay!

houseofmouse
04-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Yes, it smoother, I don't know if I would call it my favorite ride in the park now... Why did they make it smoother? It was fine! Unlike Matterhorn, which I hate because it is so rough..... The "Finale" is great.... What color temperature is the red of those lanterns? Ha! I did not know that was the finale, because the ride continues after that point, so....

I believe it is smoother because it is brand new track. :)

TTFN92
04-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Got to ride last week and I liked it but thought it was a bit too smooth. It made it kinda boring. My sister put it well when she said that they needed to speed it up a bit with it being that smooth. They needed to find a happy medium between that and Matterhorn.

MadasaHatter
04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Got to ride last week and I liked it but thought it was a bit too smooth. It made it kinda boring. My sister put it well when she said that they needed to speed it up a bit with it being that smooth. They needed to find a happy medium between that and Matterhorn.

I love me some serious coaster action but I think Disneyland is all things for all people and that BTMRR is a tweener coaster for kids and adults and older people. I went on it with my friend's Mom and she was terrified....my friend kept saying it's ok Mom it isn't long etc.....when we got off and Mom went to the bathroom my pal said you know I forgot that we rode that but TEN YEARS AGO....my Mom is ten years older and is officially a senior and we probably won't be riding any more coasters.

SO maybe that is why it is slow. Just saying. Personally I always say LET 'ER RIP (wild west vernacular) but then again...I am mad.

10-97
04-15-2014, 06:51 PM
I missed riding BTMRR when it was being refurbished. But just as much I missed the sights and sounds it gave to Frontierland. Whenever we walked past, it seemed strange for it to be so quiet.

sjhanksaz
04-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I missed riding BTMRR when it was being refurbished. But just as much I missed the sights and sounds it gave to Frontierland. Whenever we walked past, it seemed strange for it to be so quiet.

They should have recorded the noises and then played them for all to enjoy - less of a disruption.