PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay [6 adults, 3 children, 1 infant]

yedliw
03-06-2014, 05:20 PM
We are in the very early stages of planning a trip to the World (would be in fall of '15 or spring of '16, so we have time to figure this out..) and I am trying to figure out the best place to stay. The cast of characters for this excursion will be my wife and I with our 18mo daughter.. my parents. and my brother and his family (consisting of him, his wife and 3 kids.. 10, 8 and 5). So the total number of people is 6 adults, 3 kids and an infant.

We are in DVC, so we will be staying on points. My question is, when a 2br suite says it sleeps 8, how tight to they hold to that? That would really limit us, since from what I can tell, most 2br suites sleep 8, only a few are listed as up to 9, (one being the BLT, which would be more points than we would like to spend).

Thoughts, suggestions?

I see they have recently added the family suites in the Art of Animation, how big are those (how many do they sleep)?

oregontraveler
03-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Can't give you info about DVC and their restrictions. But I do know something about AofA. The Family suites are 2 connecting rooms that sleeps 6. There is a master bedroom with bathroom. The living room has a hide-a-bed sofa and the dining area converts into another bedroom. There is a second bathroom and a kitchenette with microwave. Floor plan is 565 square feet.

Even though this is a value resort and similar to POP Century across the bay. Rates here are higher than the other Value hotels.
3 of the wings (Finding Nemo, Lion King & Cars) are all family suites while The Little Mermaid wing has standard rooms, 2 double beds & 1 bathroom. About 430 Square Feet. Nonetheless, given your kids ages, I think they would enjoy AofA. I hear the theming is pretty good even though some of the color palettes are over the top.

Drince88
03-06-2014, 06:09 PM
What about the treehouses for DVC? How many do they sleep? Disney is usually pretty strict about occupancy because its based on fire marshal rules.

What is your home resort? What about the Grand Villas - I think those sleep more people - but I don't know if you can get them at non-home resorts.

yedliw
03-06-2014, 11:24 PM
What about the treehouses for DVC? How many do they sleep? Disney is usually pretty strict about occupancy because its based on fire marshal rules.

What is your home resort? What about the Grand Villas - I think those sleep more people - but I don't know if you can get them at non-home resorts.

our home resort is Saratoga. I think that the 3br grand Villas may be more points than we would be able to use.

Mermaid
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
I think, but am not sure, a child under 2 (3?) is not counted towards the total numbers. So, you could stay in any of the sleeps 9 places- but they are firm about the numbers. Not that you suggested it, but if you left someone off, they would not be eligible for FP+ or any sort of dining plan or Magical Express without being on the resrvation.

Bubstress
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
I would suggest you stay at OKW, AKV or BLT. Those dedicated 2 bedrooms will sleep 9 plus an infant in a pac n play. 1 king bed, 2 queen beds, 1 queen-sized sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair in the living room. Added bonus at AKV and BLT will be the 3rd full bathroom. AKV standard views would be less points than BLT standard and easier to get. If you don't mind having just 2 bathrooms OKW would cost less points and the villas are large. We are staying at OKW in June with 4 adults and 5 kids.

Art of Animation suites sleep 6 so that would not work for your party.

Good luck with your planning!

GusMan
03-10-2014, 05:54 AM
Technically, with the number of people you are talking about you are looking at either a grand villa somewhere, a 2BR at OKW, BLT, or AKV (like what Bubstress mentoned) or a Treehouse Villa at SSR.

The THV would be a good use of points since point-wise they are similar in cost to a 2 BR villa at SSR, but has three bedrooms.

But like it was said - they are firm about the numbers.

Bubstress
03-10-2014, 11:02 AM
The THV would be a good use of points since point-wise they are similar in cost to a 2 BR villa at SSR, but has three bedrooms.

I agree that the Treehouse Villas would be worth considering. 3 separate bedrooms for maximum privacy. I have never stayed there so it tends to slip my mind.

Karin
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Treehouse Villas ROCK!

yedliw
03-11-2014, 04:06 AM
I agree that the Treehouse Villas would be worth considering. 3 separate bedrooms for maximum privacy. I have never stayed there so it tends to slip my mind.

We have stayed at SSR before, it is our home resort.. The THV look cool, but with the kids, I think it is a bit too secluded. It is too far from the pools, and having to take a transfer bus to get to the regular bus may be a bit much. This will be the first trip for the kids..

At this point, I think we are leaning towards the AKV, but we still have time to figure things out.. thanx for all the tips! :)

GusMan
03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Admittedly, the THV's are a bit secluded. Its a great point value for a larger group, though. They do have a pool there as well, but its pretty basic.

I will say that the 2BR's at AKV are great - shared a room with another family at one time and it had more than enough room for 8 people.

Bubstress
03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
We stayed at AKV last May in a 2br standard. There were only 4 of us and it was plenty big so fitting 9 people and an infant should work well. That extra bathroom won't hurt either. Our standard view even had a very narrow savanna view. Actually it was probably just a connecting walkway between savannas but we did see lots of animals. Our balcony was HUGE.

At that time that standard 2br was the absolute cheapest place we could stay, even less points than OKW. It was only 3 nights over a long weekend but I was surprised. A great value.

stan4d_steph
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
The THV would be a good use of points since point-wise they are similar in cost to a 2 BR villa at SSR, but has three bedrooms.I'm not quite sure how you would sleep 6 adults and 3 children in the Treehouse Villas. Do they have roll-away cots available? Two adults would have to sleep on the fold out couch bed, unless they want to sleep in the bunk beds that occupy the third bedroom. That would leave one child without a bed. The major drawback to that many people in THV would be that there are only 2 bathrooms in those units. That's a lot of people to share when getting ready in the morning.

Bubstress
03-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I think that's a sleeper chair in the living room.

I just checked. It is a sleeper chair.

GusMan
03-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Right and I would assume the bunk beds would take care of 2 of the 3 kids.
As for the bathrooms, agreed that when you stay at a 2BR at the villas with 3 baths, you get spoiled. But then again, most of the 2 BR units only have 2 baths to begin with anyway.