PDA

View Full Version : California Grand...not so Grand!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

HeavenOnEarth
03-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Finally had the opportunity to stay and Disneys Grand Californian a couple of weeks ago. Only because they were offering 60% off select rooms. Gee what a over hyped snobby hotel...no thanks. A majority of the people working there were rude and didnt interact..everything is so freakin over priced and the "magic Morning" thing is BS! Have to wait in a line that resembles Radiator Springs thats about 20-30m long and by the time you get to the park, you have a whole whopping 20m to utilize magic morning. I cant even imagine anyone in their right mind, paying full price at $500+ /night!!

Im good with neighboring hotels at 1/3 of the cost and a 10m walk away..

TTFN92
03-05-2014, 04:56 PM
I've never stayed there but can't imagine paying that much for a room. I can't see that any rim is worth that much.

currence
03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. I agree that the Grand Cal entrance for magic mornings can get backed up. When we stayed there, we followed the advise from others on this board to head to the main entrance and was able to avoid any significant delays.

My parents used to stay there every year for their anniversary until it got too expensive for their tastes. My family has stayed there once on DVC points. We had a good experience. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't.

Janis and Aaron
03-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Yes, the price is insanely high. There's no way to defend that, so I'm not going to even try. But snooty and rude workers? Never saw a single bad one when we were there. All workers were extremely nice and helpful, even when we had a problem with the free World of Color dining we were supposed to get with our booking. Obviously everyone's experience will be different, but I wonder if unhappiness with the price colored your perception of the entire experience.

To me, the biggest problem with this hotel is that the rooms are small and some will allow you to book for 5 people, but only have room for 4 so someone has to sleep on the floor.

Malcon10t
03-06-2014, 06:00 AM
To me, the biggest problem with this hotel is that the rooms are small and some will allow you to book for 5 people, but only have room for 4 so someone has to sleep on the floor.This is my problem also. I have not encountered a rude CM there, in fact they are very helpful. I'm sorry the OP had a bad visit, but while I agree with the price and size of the room, I disagree with the attitude of employees.

Also, it is widely posted here and on every board I read, don't use the GCH entrance for EMH. They only have 2 bag checks and entrances, whereas the main gate has 5-7 (7 last Sunday.) On Sunday, there was no waiting at the Main Gate.

currence
03-06-2014, 06:40 AM
The other problem that we noticed is where they station their bag check is very close to the entrance. So when we witnessed the line (before quickly agreeing with the posted suggestions to go to the main entrance) it seemed that there weren't that many people, but there were a ton of strollers, backpacks, etc. all of which would take time to check. The main entrance is a further walk, and for us the lines were slightly longer at the entrance, but the delay was significantly less since everyone had their bags already checked.

The problem we had on Magic Morning in DCA was that hardly any of the E-rides were open right at early entry. It was a little disheartening to wake up an hour early for seemingly naught. But that is a problem for all of the Disney Hotels, not just the Grand Cal.

kiowa
03-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Finally had the opportunity to stay and Disneys Grand Californian a couple of weeks ago. Only because they were offering 60% off select rooms. Gee what a over hyped snobby hotel...no thanks. A majority of the people working there were rude and didnt interact..everything is so freakin over priced and the "magic Morning" thing is BS! Have to wait in a line that resembles Radiator Springs thats about 20-30m long and by the time you get to the park, you have a whole whopping 20m to utilize magic morning. I cant even imagine anyone in their right mind, paying full price at $500+ /night!!

Im good with neighboring hotels at 1/3 of the cost and a 10m walk away..

Not all hotels are fit for all budgets. I think that Grand California is quite reasonably priced for the location and being in the center of the Disney experience. Never had a rude cast member. Maybe you went into it thinking price=snobby and it clouded your experience.

carolinakid
03-06-2014, 09:08 AM
I do think the GCH is overpriced for what you get but we're willing to pay it nevertheless. And in our 4 stays there over the last 10 years (most recently in October 2013) we're never encountered a CM who was anything less than helpful and friendly. Not disputing the OP, but it just wasn't our experience.

HeavenOnEarth
03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I appreciate everyones opions on this subject...I just have a really hard time forking out 500+ dollars a night for a room that you do nothing but sleep in. And every person there expects a damn tip...I love Disney and all but this goes beyond Highway Robbery!
Like I said before..I have no problem staying down the street and walking 10m to get to the park at a 1/3 of the cost.

cstephens
03-06-2014, 09:31 AM
I appreciate everyones opions on this subject...I just have a really hard time forking out 500+ dollars a night for a room that you do nothing but sleep in.

I've only ever stayed at the Grand Californian when it's been part of a package. I agree with you that it's not worth the money if you just need a bed to sleep in for the night. That's pretty much what we use hotels for, so we tend to stay at much less expensive places. But if you're going to be spending time at the hotel, relaxing in your room and using the amenities like the pool and such, I can see how it's much more worth it. It's not just a matter of how much the room costs, it's whether or not the hotel suits the needs you have for your visit.

And every person there expects a damn tip.

Did someone say something to you to give you that impression? That would surprise me. On the occasions when I've utilized something at the Grand Californian, and I've tipped them, the recipient has always been very thankful for the tip.

TTFN92
03-06-2014, 09:48 AM
I think tips are expected at most high end hotels. I don't like tipping people for everything so I'm more comfortable staying at the Best Western across the street ;).

carolinakid
03-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Not trying to be a smartass, but what are some of the services one would be expected to tip for at a higher end hotel that one could skip the tip for at lower end hotels?

Malcon10t
03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I don't think the motels across the street have bellmen or valets. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

carolinakid
03-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Oh, I thought the poster was referring to a situation where he would feel obligated to tip someone for service at the GCH but he wouldn't feel obligated to tip if the same service were received at say, Motel 6. It goes without saying that if the hotel doesn't provide a service such as bell or valet no tipping is necessary. But then again, one could always schlep his own luggage or park his own car at the GCH if he wanted to save money on tipping. We only use bell services when we have to store our bags upon arrival or departure and of course we tip then. But we carry our own luggage to the room and to the lobby. I don't think I've ever used valet service in my life except in huge parking garages (such as in Manhattan) where you pretty much have to.

MadasaHatter
03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
I have stayed at the GRAND CALIFORNIAN HOTEL exactly 9 times all on a discounted price. At least 20 people have stayed with me and we have never encountered anyone rude there. Some just doing their job but honestly I am fine with that and some have very stressful jobs. I have seen SO MANY rude people there also. I have made many requests (none crazy) and always was greeted with nothing but kindness. That said, If all you want to do is sleep somewhere then NO GCH is not a good place to stay. It is however a great place to stay if ONE you have a lot of money or TWO if you have money and want a restful vacation.

Aunt Madge went with me last year for HER FIRST TRIP to Disneyland and she said the GCH MADE her trip. Room Service was one of her favorites, being able to take a nap with close proximity. The lounge and lobby to relax in ( i have actually relaxed there without being a guest and I recommend it) Sitting on the balcony drinking wine. The quiet and special events....we watched the end of THE LITTLE MERMAID on the lawn so cute)

As for MM we did the queue in the hotel and got there RIGHT when it started and YES the line was long but it moved pretty quick. YES we could have gone around to the front but it was so convenient and getting on RRR is worth it. Even if that is the only thing you do. Just saying. So maybe not for everyone but 9 out of 9 is a pretty damn good record. ThenagainIammaaaaaad

BlkPearlCptn
03-07-2014, 11:10 AM
When my sister and I stayed there in 2007, the rooms were beautiful, the service was outstanding, the CM's above friendly. We even got an incredible free upgrade to parkview and a suite when they found out our Mom had just passed and we were there to celebrate her memory as one of her last wishes. But the bed was the most horrific thing I have ever TRIED to sleep on. I was in tears most nights from back spasms caused by it. As beautiful as everything was, it was the most miserable time I have ever had in a hotel. Bar none. So, needless to say I probably won't ever be going back, and especially at these prices.

TTFN92
03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't think the motels across the street have bellmen or valets. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

This.

ralfrick
03-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Several do have valets, I know the Desert Inn does. Don't know any with bellhops.

cohoman
03-09-2014, 08:02 PM
My family has stayed at the GCH hotel 3 times now, and we have never experienced any rude staff members. Everyone has been very cordial, helpful, and friendly during our visit. If they are being rude to guests, then they need to fix that quick!

I understand that some people view staying at a hotel as "just a place to sleep", but in our case, my family sees the GCH as part of being at Disneyland. We use the pool every day to unwind, relax, and ordering drinks poolside. I also like to hang out in the main lobby by the fireplace in the evenings and early mornings drinking coffee and reading the daily news. If we were staying at a hotel for any other attraction (e.g., Universal Studios, Seaworld, Legoland) I probably wouldn't pay an inflated room price and would stay at a moderately priced hotel. But for Disneyland, my family enjoys the atmosphere of the GCH and we budget the cost into our vacation plans.

megzrg
03-16-2014, 03:16 AM
I have found over my years of travel and being a Trip Advisor reviewer that everyone has different expectations, views, and experiences when it comes to the places they stay on vacation. For example, my cousin loves the Motel 6 by Disneyland (formerly the Red Roof) and I on the other had will never step foot in the door of the place again. We stayed there at the exact same time, checked in with the same person, and our rooms were within feet of each other and we both had very different experiences. Same with the Carousel, I loved it and my husband hated it.

With the GCH I could never bring myself to pay the price they wanted to stay there because the price for one night there is usually what we pay at the surrounding hotels for the whole trip. Even so, I have always stared longingly at its beautiful architecture whenever we pass it, vowing that one day we will be able to afford to stay there, at least once. This next trip we will finally be staying at the hotel thanks to my newly acquired travel agent card.

I guess my point is that everyone experiences things different and to take a single hotel review under consideration by learning from what information is provided. Heaven on Earth and I have clashed a number of times on these discussion threads, but without this discussion thread being started I never would have known that I may need to tip some people (or have the option to) when I arrive. I now know that I need to probably have some cash on hand beyond what we usually carry for the driver that brings us from the airport.

Also, never take a single review as gospel. It's when you see a pattern of bad behavior in many reviews that you need to be worried about a place. Will I still stay at the Grand Californian? Absolutely, because I have to form my own opinion and there is no pattern of bad behavior that I have seen yet that would make me think twice about it.

HeavenOnEarth
03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I agree... Your view point is exactly the reason as to why my family and I stayed there. Just saying in the big prespective of my own expereince and view point. Paying alomost $500 a night for one basic regular room at a hotel is Ridiculios! And to shell out more money so someone can carry your bag 15ft will never be worth it to me. I go to Disneyland and DCA to experience these magical parks not to spend $500 a night to sleep in a room...what ever, just saying!

atrder9901
03-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Yes, the price is insanely high. There's no way to defend that, so I'm not going to even try. But snooty and rude workers? Never saw a single bad one when we were there. All workers were extremely nice and helpful, even when we had a problem with the free World of Color dining we were supposed to get with our booking. Obviously everyone's experience will be different, but I wonder if unhappiness with the price colored your perception of the entire experience.

To me, the biggest problem with this hotel is that the rooms are small and some will allow you to book for 5 people, but only have room for 4 so someone has to sleep on the floor.

We stayed at GC this past week, and we never encountered anyone who was rude. Everyone seemed very pleasant. But, I will chime in and say that I agree with poster Janis and AAron and say that the hotel rooms are the biggest problem we found also. The rooms are small considering, and when we asked if they had a cot or rollaway bed when we checked in we were told that there were none, and that a mat and a sleeping bag would be brought to the room. Literally a blue kindergarten style nap mat and a dingy sleeping bag were brought up. Not quiet what I was expecting seeing how much per night the room cost, but they did bring up extra blankets so we could build up layers and to be used instead of the sleeping bag.

The convenience of the hotel is nice, it was decent enough, but I agree that their prices have gotten crazy!! And I say that even with the discounted rate we got!!!

Micki0624
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
I agree... Your view point is exactly the reason as to why my family and I stayed there. Just saying in the big prespective of my own expereince and view point. Paying alomost $500 a night for one basic regular room at a hotel is Ridiculios! And to shell out more money so someone can carry your bag 15ft will never be worth it to me. I go to Disneyland and DCA to experience these magical parks not to spend $500 a night to sleep in a room...what ever, just saying!

I agree in that when at DL a hotel is just a place to sleep. I will say that Aulani is about the same price, but it is worth it because the resort is the reason you're there. WDW, I'm torn. Their resorts are so wonderful, but is is difficult to shell out $500.

bsegel
03-21-2014, 12:04 PM
I've stayed at the California Grand Hotel once or twice a year since it opened. I also have dinner at the Napa Rose several times a year so use the hotel's valet service while dinning. In all that time I've never had a bad experience with the staff, not once. I've been going to Disneyland since 1963 and don't think I've ever had a Disney employee be rude to me. I have to think that anyone who treated the guests rudely would find their employment with the mouse ended quickly.

I'm an annual pass holder so have never paid full price, nothing close to $500 that's for sure. I would say I average about $229 for a night, have paid as low as $169 and one time I paid $329 but that was on short notice and not a normal situation. I have a Disney Visa card, I pay for everything with that. By the end of the year I usually have enough Disney Dollars to cover two nights. I'm a single parent, two kids, high school teacher, I'm not rich. I pay for it with Disney Dollars.

I like to go up the first or second week in December. The hotel is magical that time of the year. The tall Christmas tree in the lobby, all the garland, the Carolers dressed in Victorian costumes singing by the fireplace, the person playing the grand piano and the best Santa Clause you'll find anywhere.

The rooms are nice and quite, you can't hear what is going on in the rooms around you. When you close the door there is a sucking sound as the door seals you in. Unlike the Disney Hotel where you can hear a pin drop in the hallway, not to mention every single person who walks by at 2:00 am. You can sleep 5 comfortably, you just have to request a room with bunk beds. That gives you a queen sized bed, the two singles in the bunk bed and a pull out mattress under the bunk bed.

We sleep in, have never tried to get into the park when it opens so I don't know what that's like. But I do like having the entrance from the hotel straight into California Adventure. I used that entrance when exiting the park even when I'm not staying at the hotel. Nice to pass through in route to Downtown Disney.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, that really is too bad. I love staying there.

kikid
03-24-2014, 06:17 AM
ditto!