PDA

View Full Version : Renew AP or depend on CM's to sign you in?

cryan71
09-23-2003, 11:14 PM
My renewal is coming up and with the amount of rides down, safetly issue and such as well as the general boredom that going 20 times a year can put on you, I am seriously considering not renewing my AP.

I have plenty of friends that work at Disney who could give me the free passes they get or I can convince them to sign me in or put me on the comp list for the day (only once a year). Not to mention, being their guest at the Christmas party, cast member previews, as well as my usual premiere invites.

I was discussing doing this and spending the 205 bucks on museum memberships. What do you think? Could you live without your AP in 2004?

Andrew
09-23-2003, 11:24 PM
I think it makes you a leech. If you can deal with that, go ahead.

I say this as someone who has had CM friends sign me in (to DCA before I had a two-park AP) and felt like a leech at the time, even though my friends always said it wasn't a problem.

If you can't afford to go to Disneyland, you probably shouldn't be going to Disneyland. If you want to spend the designated portion of your disposable income for the year on museum memberships instead of an AP, go ahead, but I don't think it's right to expect your friends to always sign you in. Of course, you could return the favor (somehow), but then they would be accepting payment for their signins, which I believe is against company policy.

Note: The above constitutes my personal opinion and should not be construed to represent the views or opinions of MousePlanet, Inc., or anyone else.

cryan71
09-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Let me rephrase -- I won't be calling people up to force them to drive down to Anaheim for the sole purpose of singing me in. Besides when I was a CM, I had no problem signing people in with my Silver Pass.

Also, since these Disney types want to be in business with my clients, why not use that for my benefit.

SacTown Chronic
09-24-2003, 08:16 AM
cryan71...

If Disneyland is still worth visiting then it is still worth paying for. According to your numbers you are paying about $10 a visit. Talk about a bargain.

Right about now I'd pay $10 just for one ride on Matterhorn.

cryan71
09-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
cryan71...

If Disneyland is still worth visiting then it is still worth paying for. According to your numbers you are paying about $10 a visit. Talk about a bargain.

Right about now I'd pay $10 just for one ride on Matterhorn.

Cost is not the issue -- lack of new rides and the general boredom that goes along with attending Disneyland too much.

SacTown Chronic
09-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Well that's different then. In your original post you mentioned that you have friends that could get you in for free. To that I say if DL is woth attending then it is worth paying for.

But if you are talking about not renewing your AP and boycotiing DL as a statement, then go for it. Let Disneyland know that they have to EARN your money (and time) again. But don't let your AP expire and then get yourself in for free.

As for your question of living without an AP in 2004, let me respond. I am not an APer but I had plans to visit the DLR with my family for 7 days next summer. If BTMRR and Space Mountain are still down, we will (with deep regrets) not be going. We will give our vacation money to some one who has EARNED it.

cstephens
09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
Also, since these Disney types want to be in business with my clients, why not use that for my benefit.

Because that would be unethical, if I read correctly what you're saying, that you're basically saying that if they sign you in or otherwise get you into the parks for free, you'll somehow get them together with your clients. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that in business or as a friend.

If you don't feel your AP is worth the cost, DON'T PAY THE MONEY. It's really a very simple question, one only you can answer, and it doesn't matter what anyone else says or thinks, so I always find it weird that people want others to tell them whether or not to renew. How is anybody but you supposed to know whether you feel it's worth it? If you don't feel it's worth it, why on earth would you renew?

cryan71
09-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Because that would be unethical, if I read correctly what you're saying, that you're basically saying that if they sign you in or otherwise get you into the parks for free, you'll somehow get them together with your clients. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that in business or as a friend.

In a normal business, yes that would be "unethical." In the entetainment business, its considered normal. The reason why Disney has a program to comp executives, stars, writers, agents, managers et al into the park is a quid pro quo arragnement. We make you happy, now give us Mel Gibson for 12 weeks. Consider who attends movie premieres which is just a party to celebrate the release of film. Not the PAs and Grips that actually worked on the film, but people who had nothing to do with the film but the studio wants to be in business with. And I am not fishing here, this really does happen.

innerSpaceman
09-24-2003, 10:05 AM
cryan71, don't renew your AP.

To those of you who have been responding seriously to cryan71's posts ... where have you been?

cstephens
09-24-2003, 10:14 AM
In a normal business, yes that would be "unethical." In the entetainment business, its considered normal.

I work in the entertainment business, and while what you say is true in some aspects, it's not true across the board. What you suggested earlier has been, would be and is grounds for termination where I work.

I still wouldn't want to deal with or socialize with anyone who thought that kind of thing was ok.

cryan71
09-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
I work in the entertainment business, and while what you say is true in some aspects, it's not true across the board. What you suggested earlier has been, would be and is grounds for termination where I work.

I still wouldn't want to deal with or socialize with anyone who thought that kind of thing was ok.

Considering things I have seen --

-- a agency head's oscar party where a studio head was well having some fun in the bushes

-- A-list producer tearing off his doors of his suite in a swanky NYC hotel and tosses a malfunctioning fax machine down the hallway

-- Producer of a recent hit calling in favors to make sure another producer doesn't get a deal renewed

-- Too many assistants with staplers and pens thrown at them

-- A development executive who threatens writers with a baseball bat

Sorry, but your side might be one way -- the other side is pretty scary. Oh, none of these people who did these things were punished in anyway -- most were promoted.

cstephens
09-24-2003, 10:45 AM

Umm, ok, yeah, I've seen some of that too. So what does that have to do with your seeming to want to extort freebies from people you know to get into the park and whether or not you're going to renew?

cryan71
09-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Extort?

That's a little harsh. I would never call up an exec and say "get me into Disneyland this weekend or you will never see that draft of the script you want."

But asking sparingly if someone can sign me in on a weekend that they happen to be going, that would be more my style.

MammaSilva
09-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Ok call me old fashion..... asking for favors.. is still asking for favors.. we're not talking about a close friend that you can say "hey you are a CM, I'd love to go with you to that premiere or to a CM event".. you want to use your relationship with these people to avoid paying Disney for an AP that YOU have decided isn't worth the cost.

Am I the only one seeing the conflict here? If it's not worth buying the AP.. then why impose on people by asking them to do you this 'little favor' that would take 47 bucks out of your pocket (per visit) to do on your own.

You can spin doctor this all you want.. bottom line is ...you want 'us' as a community to say oh wow look, he's being 'smart' he's NOT giving Disney his money... and getting to go anyway. What amazes me is you're shocked that it doesn't appear that the majority of us agree with your "plan".

Using people is using people.... 'nuff said.

Captain Josh
09-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Technically, I'm a leech, but MY name is co-signed on the CM Pass.

I'll tell you this from experience, I don't enjoy being someone else's ticket. My mother co-signed me on the CM pass, because it's logical. I'm the one in my immediate family who has the time to actually let people into Disneyland. And, as much as I enjoy letting people come with me, I also often feel used. I let these people in, and sometimes, it's my fault, because I don't want to be near them. Other times, they never notice I'm there once we enter under the tunnel to Main St.

Take advantage of free passes, and the good nature of your CM friends, but don't TAKE ADVANTAGE of your friends.

...forget it.

Chris Lang
09-24-2003, 01:11 PM
It's wonderful you have friends who are willing to sign you in, and it's wonderful money isn't an issue for you. Are you feeling guilty for not renewing your AP? Because it certainly seems like you're trying to justify something. A lot of people on here can't visit Disneyland as often as they like. Some can maybe only visit once every few years. The decision to renew your AP should be yours, and bragging about your friends who will sign you into the park makes you look like a schmuck, and trying to further justify your actions by pointing out obvious and rare unprofessionalism in the entertainment world (and yes, I DO work in the entertainment world) doesn't help your case much.

Chris Lang

hazlnut
09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Could you live without your AP in 2004?

Renewing in '04 is now a complete waste of money. Disneyland will not be, well... Disneyland next year.

What it will be in '05 remains to be seen.

cryan71
09-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
Renewing in '04 is now a complete waste of money. Disneyland will not be, well... Disneyland next year.

What it will be in '05 remains to be seen.

That's the real question. Does it look like 2004 will be a bad year for the parks - with only one new attraction going into DCA and nothing new scheduled for Disneyland?

SacTown Chronic
09-24-2003, 02:14 PM

-- Too many assistants with staplers and pens thrown at them

-- A development executive who threatens writers with a baseball bat

WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!

It'd take one BIG s.o.b. to get away with throwing a stapler at me. What the hell is wrong with these people for taking this?

cryan71
09-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!

It'd take one BIG s.o.b. to get away with throwing a stapler at me. What the hell is wrong with these people for taking this?

If you make a movie that earns 300 million at the box office and a potential for a 1/2 a billion worldwide, you would be amazed at what people put up with. And this happens a ton. I've saw an agent upturn his desk after losing an a -list client. Did the top 3 agency do anything about his behaviour -- yeah, they gave him a raise when he signed an even bigger client from another top 3 agency. Stealing big clients is well-rewarded.