PDA

View Full Version : Social Club Redux

olegc
02-27-2014, 12:04 PM
A while back Shortpix77 asked about the Disneyland social clubs (sometimes referred to as Disney gangs). OC Weekly has done a story this week on them.

CLICK HERE (http://www.ocweekly.com/2014-02-27/news/disneyland-california-adventure-social-clubs/) to see it (I do not have any connection to the OC Weekly).

missm
02-27-2014, 12:37 PM
I love it! It makes me wish I lived closer so I could join one! I just need some Disney friends that live close to me.

olegc
02-27-2014, 12:47 PM
the only thing I think is off on the article is its not balanced. There is a view from the SC side, but Disney Security, the parks, or other guests were not interviewed. And the contact they tried to interview from Micechat would not offer anything new - only his older comments online. That leads me to speculate that folks are concerned about commenting - which can be construed as fear or uncertainty of actions. I don't know these clubs so I can't say - but the factors mentioned above makes me pause.

spectromen
02-27-2014, 03:51 PM
I see the Main Street Elite almost every time I go into the Parks. They're a good looking bunch; wonder if they'd take me without having any ink.

cstephens
02-28-2014, 07:21 AM
I finally read the article because it's been floating around the net and a friend specifically pointed the article out to me for comment. I read it, and I laughed. New phenomenon since 2013? Umm, yeah, no. I've been doing all that stuff since 1997, and there were people doing that way before me. It's just a new incarnation of what sprung up from newsgroups like alt.disney.disneyland. Glad they're having fun, but they haven't invented the wheel.

Lani
03-03-2014, 03:35 PM
I finally read the article because it's been floating around the net and a friend specifically pointed the article out to me for comment. I read it, and I laughed. New phenomenon since 2013? Umm, yeah, no. I've been doing all that stuff since 1997, and there were people doing that way before me. It's just a new incarnation of what sprung up from newsgroups like alt.disney.disneyland. Glad they're having fun, but they haven't invented the wheel.

Yeah, I totally agree, cstephens. Social clubs based around the Disney theme parks is nothing new. We had some vibrant communities and groups going back well into the 1990s through Usenet newsgroups (specifically rec.arts.disney.parks and alt.disney.disneyland). In fact, MiceChat is the result of an evolution out of MiceAge, which essentially spun off of MousePlanet, which in itself was created by folks who used to hang out in alt.disney.disneyland.

The biggest difference is that the grizzled old veterans saw no need to wear motorcycle gang vests. Seriously, we made a.d.d. buttons and such, but really. The article made it sound like it was an amazing new phenomenon.