PDA

View Full Version : Disney/Motorola 2way radios in DL

LOYL2DZNY
09-23-2003, 10:03 AM
i just purchased those disney 2 way radios by motorola and i plan to use them at the park. my question is, has anyone used these and if so, how well(or not) do they work? they're range is only 2 miles, so i'm a little concerned about using them and having them not work for us. i'm assuming that if one of us is in toontown, and the other person using the radio is on paradise pier, the reception may not be too good. any help would be appreciated!

thanks in advance!
-A

MammaSilva
09-23-2003, 10:08 AM
We have several of the Motorola 'walkabout' radios and we found that for the most part, there were so many other people using them that it didn't really 'help' much.. we had several "preplanned" channel moves 'if' traffic got to busy and that helped somewhat. But when we could get 'clear air' they did just fine. Hope that helps ..

Now we just use the cell phones!

dsnylndmom
09-23-2003, 10:17 AM
We normally use our cel's but on our adults only triP(go figure LOL)we used my friend's Princess Motorola ones and they worked pretty dang good! The only problem is you can make the other person's walkie talkie say little things, like my friend would make mine say "uh oh" and everytime I'd go into the bathroom she'd make it go off, "uh oh uh oh" LOL

But it was fun make our friend Dave carry one and then calling him Princess Dave whenever we were trying to get his attention! (we are the epitome of maturity aren't we)

LOYL2DZNY
09-23-2003, 10:35 AM
thanks, ladies. that helps. i don't want to use our cell phones, as they may cost too much...not sure. the radios i purchased are like the princess ones that dsnylndmom spoke of, but mine are the red and yellow classic characters. i know what you mean by the "uh oh". mine has goofy, mickey, minnie, daisy, and donald and each one says something different. very cute. the husband doesn't care for the character voices, though. oh well. he'll get over it. thanks again!

HBTiggerFan
09-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by LOYL2DZNY
thanks, ladies. that helps. i don't want to use our cell phones, as they may cost too much...not sure.

Check with your provider. Most (if not all) cell companies include all of CA in your local calling area which means no roaming fees.

dsnylndmom
09-23-2003, 11:41 AM
the husband doesn't care for the character voices, though. oh well. he'll get over it. Just tell him at least he's not using the Princess ones!! LOL!

Disneyphile
09-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by dsnylndmom
Just tell him at least he's not using the Princess ones!! LOL!
I can just imagine a Princess voice saying "Uh oh" while he's in the bathroom. ROFL!!! :~D

LKSearcy
09-24-2003, 08:28 AM
There are "dead" areas, like Space Mountain, Splash Mountain (no pun intended!) where you can't get hold of the other person. Practice before you go, consider getting an earpiece/mic, and take extra batteries besides the rechargeable ones included with the WTs.

I took my 11 year old last year and once we got some ground rules, we were fine. He had to stay in the same park as me, and he had to check in with me before and after a ride. JUST DON'T LET THEM TURN OFF THE WTs!!!

If we couldn't get in contact with the other after 30 minutes, we planned to meet at the Hub. I gave him more time if I knew he was on a long line ride like Splash. Tell the kids that it's not just for you to get in touch with them - what if something happened to you?

Have code names like Little Bear and Mama Bear (for example) - we got on the same frequency with another family and their son had the same name as mine.

People may look at you like you are strange, but it's only because they wish they had been smart enough to bring some.

Enjoy using these - they are fun!