PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season lines and strategy

stephanie01
09-22-2003, 03:31 PM
We are going to DL next Monday with two 2-year olds and one 4 year old and 6 adults.

I have books that give elaborate touring strategies for avoiding long lines and seeing the attractions.

Do we need to follow these strategies on off-season?

Do you recommend any type touring plan? Of course, we'll be concentrating on the kiddie rides.

Thanks.

Captain Josh
09-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Well, I don't know any strategies, but I can give you some intelligence. Last Friday night LOOKED packed when I came in, but 15-20 minute waits on Pirates and Indy tell no lies. I wouldn't worry about long waits.

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Our strategy is to get fast passes and then go eat, see a show, walk around or go on a ride with a shorter line while waiting for the fast pass time. Then keep doing that all day. We save a lot of time that way. But as for the kiddie rides, I don't think they even have fast passes. All I know is that the lines for those go way down after sunset, since the parents with small kids tend to go home then.
But I am interested in what your book says about avoiding lines. Any juicy tidbits?

Khiori
09-22-2003, 03:45 PM
We went last Tuesday (the 16th) and picked up all kinds of Fastpasses. We couldn't use even one because the lines were shorter than where the Fastpass lines started. Even Blue Bayou was only a 10 minute (or so) wait at 1pm. (walk up, no reservation)

lisap
09-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Here's comes the broken record from the P family--do Fantasyland first thing in the morning, even in the off season. It's still very warm in Anaheim, and in the afternoon the sun shines right on most of the queues. Even a 20 minute wait for Peter Pan is a nightmare in the hot sun. Then head to Toon town and see Mickey and Minnie's house and Goofy's Bounce house. Then do whatever you want ;).

Have fun!

adriennek
09-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Echoing lisap's post: I, too, have little kids. It's amazing how the "adult" set goes straight to the e-tickets on the right and the left first thing in the morning. Head straight to Fantasyland and/or Toontown. Later in the day, enjoy Aladdin's Oasis (plays on weekends in the off-season,) and shadier Tom Sawyer's Island.

The adults will be better off riding E-tickets later in the day, too. For example, Indiana Jones' line starts off long in the morning but gets shorter as the day goes on. If the little ones will nap in their strollers, you can use rider-switch in the afternoon while they're asleep.

And borrowing a page from Bill Catherall's wonderful tips: With three little kids, you won't need fast passes for all 6 adults for every attraction. You will only need 4 because two adults can use Rider Switch. I would use the 4-year-old's ticket plus the extra 2 adult tickets to get 3 different fast passes. It will require some balancing with that many adults, but if you work it right, or if one adult for whatever reason doesn't want to ride Fast rides it can work to your favor.

Adrienne

TheatreTech
09-22-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
Well, I don't know any strategies, but I can give you some intelligence. Last Friday night LOOKED packed when I came in, but 15-20 minute waits on Pirates and Indy tell no lies. I wouldn't worry about long waits.

Fryday was like a dream come true. (Other than many E-ticket attractions being closed.) The longest wait was 20 minutes for Indy. At one point the wait for Pirates was 1 minutes :D Strategies couldn't hurt, but probably won't be necessary to plan your whole day. Get there early and enjoy. (A few "slow" rides will be needed if staying all day. ie: Pirates, Mark Twain, Columbia.)

stagedoorjonny
09-22-2003, 04:34 PM
I was there last Wednesday, the longest line I encountered was 10 minutes. The line up to get off POTC was longer than to get on. I aggree with lisap do Fantasyland first.

stephanie01
09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Thank you.

This sounds like very promising news.

The book I was using is "the Unofficial Guide to DL." Not only does it tell you where to start first, but it gives you the exact order in which to do the rides. I was just worried that with the little ones it will be difficult to convince them to pass by a ride they see just to follow the recommended order proscribed by my book.

Also, we've got two spry grandparents with us who will not be riding any headliners...

Tiki Junki
09-22-2003, 06:52 PM
First, there is a posting on this board about FastPasses by DarkBeer. I think that is a good place to start becasue the theory is to send one "runner" to collect passes while the rest of the crew goes to Fantasyland/Toontown.

Assuming someone is getting the Fastpasses, Fantasyland is a great place to start. PeterPan is always the longest line (IMHO), so we dive into that, Dumbo and Alice. If the Matterhorn is of interest to the older kids, then that is a good one to do the first hour, there are no FastPasses for it.

That said, I want to reccomend a early morning in Toontown. We were lucky to be at DLand for three days so we did the Fantasyland Shuffle two days in a row. We got more done between 8 and 10 than 10 and 8. On our last day we decided to go to Toontown first. It opened at 9 am, the park opened at 8, so we visited characters, and did Small World. At 9 we strolled into ToonTown. (I don't know if it is typical that TT opens later, I know it closes earlier when there are fireworks). The place was pretty empty and there standing in front of his house, was the big cheese himself, Mickey. Waving at us. I can't tell you what it meant to my little guy, it was like Mickey had been waiting just for us to drop by for a visit. They did have a park photographer there, so we got sucked into the offical portrait with Mickey our son and the special date stamp. You are not obligated to get it, but it was such a special moment, we caved.

We were able to go on all the rides and romp and play for about an hour, then dove back into the frey with FastPasses.

One other note on FantasyLand. Matterhorn, PeterPan, Mr Toad, Dumbo and Alice are typically the longest lines. Followed by TeaCups and Storybook Land. SnowWhite, Pinnochio and the Carousel are usually tolerable any time of day, and non-existant in the early evening. So if you want to apply strategy, you may want to do the busy FT rides first. (Others may have different opinions)

Have fun!

EandCDad
09-22-2003, 07:40 PM
I can't say this forcefully enough, get to the park before it opens, upon opening, go directly to Peter Pan and ride it first, then ride Dumbo. If you have the "Dumbo or Die in a Day" plan, it can be very good at planning out your whole day, but remember, Peter Pan first, then Dumbo.

Peter Pan first.

tjrj
09-23-2003, 08:06 AM
I'm a devoted "Unofficial Guide" reader. In the off-season the plans will help but not be as critical as during high season. And, yes, during our visits- do PP first then Dumbo. I think maybe because everyone has heard how horrendous the lines for Dumbo are and head there first-you will be able to sneak in a ride before Dumbo and then hit it when the first wave is over. And, by all means, do TT early in the day-it's pretty small and then you add all the strollers to it-yikes!

And you know the "mid-day break" or nap advice that's given? By all means-take the break. For everyone in the party-not just the kiddos. Even during the off-season.

hefferdude
09-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Plan your visit using your eyes but "see" and enjoy Disneyland
with the eyes of your children. :)

jazzjunkie
09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Our strategy is to get fast passes and then go eat, see a show, walk around or go on a ride with a shorter line while waiting for the fast pass time.

I don't mean to be impertinent, just genuinely wondering how this strategy would give one an edge over every other family? Wouldn't their strategy be the same? :confused:

I think the suggestions on which rides to do when are helpful -thanks!