PDA

View Full Version : The luxury of executive compensation

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
09-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I know I'll be flamed, but I've noticed that the executives of the Walt Disney Company, their cronies, toadies, moles, marketers, accountants, drivers, servants, online facilitators and sock puppets are far less likely to complain about conditions at the Disney Resorts (c) than the passholders, traditionalists, purists, geeks, guests, neighbors, friends and general public that notice the company's fresh and vital rebranding efforts. Don't get me wrong, but perhaps these people are going to the park a bit too often and feel a sense of propriety in what they are offered. They don't seem to get that the botton line is what is really important to any company and if you create enough leveraged payoff on your reinvestment Disney dollars, it doesn't really matter what color Rapunzel's castle is, especially if surveys show the public doesn't even know the difference, like me and my family. After all, Walt Disney has been dead a long time and a park can only remain relevant and compelling if you are reaping millions of dollars in bonuses based on downsizing the overhead and increasing sales per quare foot. I think fans of Disney should take this to heart and only visit while comped with passes once every few years to attend some marketing event like the executives at the WDC, and then they won't be bothered by perceived flaws in upkeep or design details. We - - I mean they - - don't notice, you shouldn't either. And those bonuses are needed to trade up in the rough southern california housing market. Anyway - - just something to think about.:fez:

Squeeze every precious drop of magic!!!

- - A longtime observer registered September 2003

Morrigoon
09-22-2003, 03:38 PM
ROFL

PapiBear
09-22-2003, 04:18 PM
That was some scha-weet sarcasm, merlin!

JeffG
09-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Mocking someone else's politely and fairly worded post is always a good way to engender productive conversation. I'm sure it does a lot to make a newcomer feel welcome...

-Jeff

innerSpaceman
09-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Not to put words into anybody's hands, but I'm sure it wasn't done to make any new poster feel unwelcome. It's humor, merlinjones style - - and if that's not the MousePad Welcome Wagon, I don't know what is!

MonorailMan
09-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
It's humor, merlinjones style

Bingo. ;)

I really liked it. To quote Conan O'Brian, "To be mocked means that someone is listening, and seeing you." :)

efoxx
09-22-2003, 07:44 PM
"get thee to the parks and mingle"- Walt

"get thee to the accountants and squeese"- Michael

merlinjones
09-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Thanks, JeffG, for showing me the ropes around here. I knew I might rub some of the uselessly critical loser types that are stuck in the past and hindering profits and progress the wrong way with my post, but until I get my footing I might put a few people off. I don't know, like you, I just think everyone needs to focus more on the bottom line instead of whether your extravagant expectations have been exceeded. Walt is dead, let him stay there in the freezer or where ever. As you know, he wanted things to keep changing anyway, in favor of outside business interests and expansionism and globalisation. I'm glad to have found a kindred spirit in you, JeffG. Let's pray that Michael Eisner continues to carry the company in hip and edgy directions the way we like it! By the way, who is your favorite Disney Princess brand character, JeffG? There is a great survey on Disney.com. :)

Spray the magic! :fez:

Mr. Wiggins
09-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Let's pray that Michael Eisner continues to carry the company in hip and edgy directions the way we like it!

You are a wretchedly hopeless dreamer. To atone for your silly ways, you are hereby sentenced to spend an enchanted evening in bustling Tomorrowland staring at the place in the Matterhorn where the Skyway used to pass. Later you will stroll past the Submarine Lagoon while imaging you are glimpsing the Electrical Parade in the distance, and pretending to savor the delicious smells from the shuttered restaurant of your choice.

Doodle Duck
09-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Foolish mortal...unheard amongst the racket of shovels going full steam at the money bin.

Tref
09-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Funny stuff, MJ.

merlinjones
09-23-2003, 07:16 AM
>>You are a wretchedly hopeless dreamer. To atone for your silly ways, you are hereby sentenced to spend an enchanted evening in bustling Tomorrowland staring at the place in the Matterhorn where the Skyway used to pass. Later you will stroll past the Submarine Lagoon while imaging you are glimpsing the Electrical Parade in the distance, and pretending to savor the delicious smells from the shuttered restaurant of your choice.<<

Wow. This is my magical Disney experience every time I go. You are clearly a kindred spirit! (by the way, I prefer to savor the aroma and hear the lively sounds of firedancing from the Tahitian Terrace, then stop for an ice cream sundae at Plaza Gardens).

JeffG
09-23-2003, 10:01 AM
I think you may have been insulting and/or personally attacking me in your response to my comment, but frankly the post is so nonsensical that I'm not even entirely sure.

Maybe if you would get your mind off of conspiracy theories and some kind of odd paranoia regarding evil executives, you might be able to make some points that are worth considering. You might also be able to see that most of us don't have such polarized views about Disney.

I still think this entire thread was rather rude and, to be frank, not in the slightest bit funny.

-Jeff

merlinjones
09-23-2003, 10:51 AM
>>Maybe if you would get your mind off of conspiracy theories and some kind of odd paranoia regarding evil executives, you might be able to make some points that are worth considering. <<

Nah, I'll stick with what works.

Your term "evil" is a bit subjective, though. I'll have to use the terms ignorant, arrogant, elitist, greedy, narrow-minded, controlling, competitive, aggressive, self-serving, myopic, collectivist, politically-correct, power-hungry, defensive, tasteless, un-creative, re-educating, soul-killing, short-sighted, number-crunching, formula-following, in-the-box-thinking, slow-witted, type-A, consensus-building, survey-aking, risk-averse, cronyist, deaf, dumb and blind instead. Let's not use outmoded terms like "evil", okay?

Doodle Duck
09-23-2003, 11:02 AM
"Nah, I'll stick with what works."

:D :D :D :D :D :fez:

Mr. Wiggins
09-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Your term "evil" is a bit subjective, though. I'll have to use the terms ignorant, arrogant, elitist, greedy, narrow-minded, controlling, competitive, aggressive, self-serving, myopic, collectivist, politically-correct, power-hungry, defensive, tasteless, un-creative, re-educating, soul-killing, short-sighted, number-crunching, formula-following, in-the-box-thinking, slow-witted, type-A, consensus-building, survey-aking, risk-averse, cronyist, deaf, dumb and blind instead.

They're not blind. I've seen 'em in the halls at Burbank ogling the secretaries.

Disneyphile
09-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
[BYour term "evil" is a bit subjective, though. I'll have to use the terms ignorant, arrogant, elitist, greedy, narrow-minded, controlling, competitive, aggressive, self-serving, myopic, collectivist, politically-correct, power-hungry, defensive, tasteless, un-creative, re-educating, soul-killing, short-sighted, number-crunching, formula-following, in-the-box-thinking, slow-witted, type-A, consensus-building, survey-aking, risk-averse, cronyist, deaf, dumb and blind instead. Let's not use outmoded terms like "evil", okay? [/B]
You left out:

self-centered, tactless, egotistical, self-deifying, and just plain poopy ;)

merlinjones
09-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Good additions!

And let's not forget often loud, unbending, predudiced, argumentative, biased, unoriginal, demanding, manipulative, imitative, high-fallutin', impatient, disheartening, uncaring, clone-like, artist-hating, jealous, envious, lustful, snooty, snotty, deceitful, back-stabbing, game-playing, social-engineering, ladder-climbing, unethical, dishonest, clueless, repetitive, glory-seeking, cruel, conscienceless and just plain mean!

(Reminds me of a great Sherman lyric "We agree that as a group they're ra-ther stu-pid.")

Cadaverous Pallor
09-23-2003, 02:52 PM
<yawn>

Anyone have anything new to say on the subject of Eisner and Disney?

Anyone?

I didn't think so.

<puts head on table>

<zzzzzz>

innerSpaceman
09-23-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, yeah. I mean there was that "Eisner is a Big Thunder Killer Murderer" thing going a few weeks back. But, um, recently? Well, no.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum. Things in the Lounge tend to repeat on a 5-month cycle, but here in the good old Disneyland forum, we have a strict 6-day cycle to maintain for repeated subject matter.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Well, yeah. I mean there was that "Eisner is a Big Thunder Killer Murderer" thing going a few weeks back. But, um, recently? Well, no.

Perhaps this is the wrong forum. Things in the Lounge tend to repeat on a 5-month cycle, but here in the good old Disneyland forum, we have a strict 6-day cycle to maintain for repeated subject matter. Agreed. :rolleyes:

merlinjones
09-23-2003, 06:04 PM
>>Anyone have anything new to say on the subject of Eisner and Disney?<<

Gee, if that were a limitation, it would be awful quiet around here!
;)

Let's speculate on the big Board Meeting coming up at the end of this month. remember last year? The rumor was that the board gave Eisner one year to get the stock up to a certain level. Time's up!

Also, LA Times reported that he was trying to close the Pixar deal before the Board meeting, but they aren't budging. Smart - - Maybe Steve Jobs can help get rid of the Stinky Cheese Man simply by dragging his feet all the way to the bank. I don't suppose the Board will be too happy about that death at Disneyland either. And losing Ritter can't help Eisner's ABC prospects. Mickey's Philharmagic is getting tepid reviews - - so much for Michael's big 3-D remake bonanza. But they did have a good run of live-action pictures this summer.

Think he'll finally get sacked?

innerSpaceman
09-23-2003, 06:07 PM
And while I made that observation sarcastically, I made it without malice.

I am fully aware that (a) the Disneyland Forum's quite limited scope (i.e., duh, Disneyland) makes for subject matter repeated far more often that the stuff in, say, the Lounge; and (b) the Disneyland Forum plays host to a multitude of people seeking information only - - people who post a question or two, a fleeting observation, only to disappear and be 'replaced' by newcomers with their understandably idenitical queries.

And while the DCAttidude is alarmingly steady, it is at least oft-expressed quite humorously, as merlinjones is doing in this thread.

Nephythys
09-24-2003, 04:34 AM
I thought I might step in since it is MY post that Merlin is lampooning- either in friendly jest or in malice I am not clear-

I can see this two ways- either this post is meant to be mocking, or I can say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery-

I fail to see in any way shape of form why anyone would be offended or angry about my post regarding complaing about the parks- it was simply an observation, mostly based on geographical differences and the ability to attend the park with more frequency than many of us have the pleasure of doing. If someone choose to mock me over this post- then I question their ability to be reasonable.

I don't know Merlin at all, and frankly I know so little of the posting style that I refuse to make a judgement call. I may be new here but I am not new to posting on the internet and I am well aware that eventually you learn who to post with and who to avoid. As to this post I am still unsure what it was meant to convey- so I have thus far chosen to ignore it.

I note that some have spoken up and are unhappy about the post. Perhaps you are right about it, I don't know.

If Merlin IS mocking me I will note that and lower any expectations I have about his ability to be polite or reasonable, and will treat his posts accordingly- If he is merely being humorous with no true malice- then I don't care.

Frankly I am surprised at some of the defensive and unpleasant reactions I got to my post- considering it's intent. As for this one, it's incomprehensible to me what the intent is, so I choose to make little comment on it-

Doodle Duck
09-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Some here post with a BROAD sense of humor...some regularly exhibit NO sense of humor yet post about the attribute anyway...

Please be the former...

IMHO...The word when reading Merlinjones is ICONOCLAST.
Quite rare to have it 'done so well'