PDA

View Full Version : Autumn craft festival?

TaraRebeka
09-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Last year while I was reading various Disney related sites, I had heard about a craft festival that's usually held around October/November out at the Disney studios.

I've been searching on the boards for some more info but haven't found any. Does anyone have any information on this? I'd really like to go this year, I hear it's pretty cool.

Any help humbly appreciated.

:)

cstephens
09-22-2003, 02:11 AM
Here's the thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11231) I started last year about the event, though there's not much info in the thread other than the event seems to be held around the end of November, so the date may not have been decided yet for this year.

Here's an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue/nov2000.htm) by Sue Kruse about the 2000 event.

JeffG
09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
I've heard that it will be on Saturday, November 22 this year.

-Jeff

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 11:30 AM
So is it definite that it will be on Nov. 22nd? And I went into the two sites and there really isn't any detailed info.Has anyone ever gone? What is it like exactly?

cstephens
09-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
So is it definite that it will be on Nov. 22nd? And I went into the two sites and there really isn't any detailed info.Has anyone ever gone? What is it like exactly?

We went last year and had a good time. We liked being able to look around the studio. There was a screening in the movie theatre on the lot, but I forget what they were showing. Probably "Nightmare Before Christmas", but I'm not positive. There are a few photo ops as well with a few characters, and they even provide you with a polaroid. We spent quite a bit of time in line for the Studio Store because they still have stuff in there that you don't find in Disney Stores any more. We had lunch in the commissary as well, though the selection was very limited. It's not the normal selection that's offered during the week, I was told. There's also an opportunity to get a picture taken with Santa Clause.

The main part of the crafts faire are rows of people with their crafts available for sale. We enjoyed browsing through there, but none of us bought anything. For most of us, the appeal was being able to wander around the Disney lot.

Not sure if we're going this year. This may be a "once every few years" thing for us.

Any other specific questions?

TaraRebeka
09-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Thanks so much for the info. When I heard about this last year it sounded like a wonderful, truly unique Disney thing to do.

I really appreciated the article link too. I sent it off to my husband, so hopefully that's what we'll be doing this November.

Thanks again!

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Are all the arts and crafts Disney themed?

cstephens
09-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Thanks for the info. Are all the arts and crafts Disney themed?

Actually, none (or very few at least) of them are, and for good reason - I would presume none of them has a licensing fee with Disney, so any use of Disney characters in their crafts (unless they just bought something available in a store and made it or are using it to sell) would be copyright infringement, which would be a seriously bad thing to do on Disney property. They're mostly holiday themed.

The weirdest thing we saw last year: someone had put white mini-marshmallows in a baggie and labeled it for sale with the sign - I'm not making this up - identifying them as snowman droppings.

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Interesting. Well do you all think that it is fun and worth going to?

Sheila
09-22-2003, 02:43 PM
If you are generally into arts and crafts fairs/shows, then this will be interesting.

Personally, I'm not into that kind of stuff so I found the Christmas Craft Fair to be interesting only because of the Disney Studios connection.

When I went last year, most of my time was spent visiting the various Disney Studios buildings, like the Commissary and the on-site Disney store.

I think I spent 10 minutes looking at the various crafts. Some items were quite artistic, but since I don't decorate my house with crafts, it was ultimately uninteresting to me. YMMV.

It's definitely worth at least one visit just so you can visit the lot. And don't forget to show up early enough in the day so that you can buy the special sweatshirts commemorating the event. :)

Sheila

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 02:45 PM
OK. Sounds like fun. I think I will attend this year. So, then it is on the 22nd this year? And at what time?