PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Autopia

Pages : [1] 2

wabby1
01-31-2014, 10:21 AM
My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I read recently that Autopia will eventually go away to make room for some sort of Star Wars theme. Does anyone have any of the details? Or is there any truth to the rumor?

olegc
01-31-2014, 10:51 AM
just a rumor. It might happen, then again no.... but maybe.

tlovesdis
01-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I've heard that Autopia, Nemo and Innoventions will all be torn down and Star Wars land will be going in. But who knows!!! Autopia seems to be a pretty popular ride with the little ones!!

oregontraveler
01-31-2014, 11:52 AM
From my understanding, the Nemo show building is intertwined with Autopia, so you can't close one without the other.
There have been many rumours (from other sites) on plans for TL, with a Star Wars infused theme.

I think the one fact/rumour I can believe is that the massive budget for the Orlando rollout on the Magic Fastband program, has affected the capital budgets for DLR. Even though 2015 is the 60th Anniversary, there might not be a whole lot of new stuff to add to the parks if the money isn't there.

sjhanksaz
02-01-2014, 06:27 AM
I say take the Innovations but not autotopia

houseofmouse
02-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Someone on this board had said Innoventions is considered a Historical Landmark and will never be taken down.

Scary Kitty
02-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Considering the crowds they're currently getting in Innoventions for the Marvel-themed exhibits/meet-&-greet (Iron Man, Thor) and that they're now putting together a third (Captain America), I seriously doubt Innoventions is going away any time soon.

oregontraveler
02-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Someone on this board had said Innoventions is considered a Historical Landmark and will never be taken down.

and the Court of Angels, Skyway buckets, Peoplemover, Country Bear Jamboree, Billy Hill & The Hillbillies

houseofmouse
02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
and the Court of Angels, Skyway buckets, Peoplemover, Country Bear Jamboree, Billy Hill & The Hillbillies

Too funny! However, I was serious and so were they. :)

Bonster
02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
From my first visit in 1956 to today the opportunity to "drive" my own car sets my heart and mind asoar.

currence
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
Too funny! However, I was serious and so were they. :)

It's not listed on the California Dept. of Historical Landmarks website (http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21445) nor is it listed on the California Historical Resources (http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/ListedResources/?view=county&criteria=30) or as far as I can tell the National Registrar of Historical Places. (http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natregsearchresult.do?briefnav&briefpage=8)

From what I can tell, you can't be designated a Historical Landmark over an owner's objection, and I don't see Disney ever allowing that unless it was to their benefit - in which case I'm sure there would be significant Disney press and it wouldn't just be rumors on the internet. :)

zombie pirate
02-01-2014, 05:55 PM
Well if this rumor is true why not bulldoze The Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and get rid of the Rivers of America to make room for the Marvel Universe !!!!!!! They are probilly considered out of date to.

carolinakid
02-02-2014, 05:56 AM
Although I'm not a Star Wars fan, I personally wouldn't miss any of those 3 attractions.

houseofmouse
02-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Well poo currence. I guess I won't believe anything anyone on here tells me anymore. I personally think unless they were to do something totally amazing with the building, taking it down and putting something new in its place would be good. We missed seeing Thor, it was closed when we got over there but otherwise we never go in there anymore.

BlkPearlCptn
02-02-2014, 09:00 AM
From what I can tell, you can't be designated a Historical Landmark over an owner's objection, )

Not true. We have a local '50's drive in here that a "save " group got listed as a historical landmark despite the owner's fighting it tooth and nail. (he wanted to tear it down and sell the vacant land.) The building was saved, listed, eventually sold and restored. This all happened within the last two years. The whole saga of the process was followed closely by our local paper.

currence
02-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Not true. We have a local '50's drive in here that a "save " group got listed as a historical landmark despite the owner's fighting it tooth and nail. (he wanted to tear it down and sell the vacant land.) The building was saved, listed, eventually sold and restored. This all happened within the last two years. The whole saga of the process was followed closely by our local paper.

Interesting - I had thought that I had seen/heard of such things but one of the California websites indicated that the owner didn't have to participate but couldn't object. As you can see above, there are at least three different processes to classify/certify historical buildings so they likely all have different standards. Since i didn't look at the rules for all three of them, I should not have included that portion of my sentence in my response. Thanks for the clarification. :)

BlkPearlCptn
02-02-2014, 02:12 PM
This drive in is a very much loved fixture in our town. The original owner retired and sold it and the new owner (who lived out of town) closed it down much to the dismay of the locals. He then wanted to raze it and sell the land. It was a huge fight with him in order to save it.

Cory Gross
02-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Well if this rumor is true why not bulldoze The Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and get rid of the Rivers of America to make room for the Marvel Universe !!!!!!! They are probilly considered out of date to.

Don't tempt them. However, vandalizing Pirates of the Caribbean with Jack Sparrow animatronics and the squid monster, and then making Tom Sawyer's Island into a pirate thing, comes pretty close.

MadasaHatter
02-02-2014, 10:42 PM
I was under the impression that the LAGOON would cost MILLLLLLIIIIONS of dollars to remove ergo THE FINDING NEMO SUB VOYAGE instead of removing said subs.....that's what I heard.....but I could be mad....

Dave1313
02-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I was under the impression that the LAGOON would cost MILLLLLLIIIIONS of dollars to remove ergo THE FINDING NEMO SUB VOYAGE instead of removing said subs.....that's what I heard.....but I could be mad....

Unfortunately the company does have experience with removing such a ride, though it obviously is more constrained (so mechanics of doing it would probably be harder) in the location in DL than the 20,000 Leagues location was on the former outskirts of Fantasyland in WDW.

candles71
02-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Then there are the actual historic landmarks that "mysteriously" get bull-dozed in the middle of the night. (The property owner then went on to build the housing development they had wanted to build.)

DwarfPlanet
02-03-2014, 11:18 AM

I'm not so sure it was so much the lagoon but the backstage buildings and infrastructure where most of the ride takes place. Or did I take your comment to literally?

libbylovespluto
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Then there are the actual historic landmarks that "mysteriously" get bull-dozed in the middle of the night. (The property owner then went on to build the housing development they had wanted to build.)

That happened in Seattle, to an iconic eatery in Greenlake called the Twin Teepees. That place was awesome, it was literally two teepees that housed a restaurant. One night, we went to bed and when we woke up, the Twin Teepees were no more. In the middle of the night, they razed it. So sad. Still miss that place!

Tan Da Man
02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
I just hope its future is in Yesterland

Tinker44
02-04-2014, 08:32 AM

Perhaps that's the wrong "zone". Plus I think the ballyhoo over losing those rides would be very bad for Disney's "bottom line"

But I do see the potential in transforming Innoventions into a S.H.I.E.L.D Academy (aka Marvel Universe) style attraction. If they already have a Meet n Greet in there for Thor, and Captain America is incoming... is it REALLY that much of a stretch to see something like "Princess Fantasy Faire" only with the Marvel superheroes? Heck, let them have the upper level, and throw a Star Wars meet n greet in at the bottom level so we can finally have good photos with Darth and the StormTroopers... toss in a C3P0 and R2D2 and we're good to go!

SO many families that I know of lament that while their daughters go into Princess/Fairy overload at a Disney park, that their sons get "gyped" when it comes to their idols. For all I love Mickey and the other "classic characters", they simply don't stack up against the superhero juggernaut that boys are bombarded with in the media. I can totally see now that Disney owns the rights, that they could EASILY level the playing field! I was one of the lucky ones, my son was every bit as excited to meet (and flirt) with Princesses and Fairies alike. And as long as he saw Mickey, Woody and Buzz, he was fine. But I know a LOT of boys who would be over the moon to meet IronMan or Hulk or Yoda.