PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

Freerider127
09-21-2003, 11:49 AM
I have a question involving space mountain for all of you. I know they are just reconstructing the same space mountain as before but how would you like it if they added a loop and made it more like the paris version of it? I think it would be pretty cool to do that so there is some change.

stitch626
09-21-2003, 11:56 AM
I don't know about putting a loop into Space Mountain. I mean, one of the reason Disneyland was made was to have things kids can do. Even though some kids are ready for some fast attactions, I don't think putting a loop would be a good change.

sleepyjeff
09-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by stitch626
I don't know about putting a loop into Space Mountain. I mean, one of the reason Disneyland was made was to have things kids can do. Even though some kids are ready for some fast attactions, I don't think putting a loop would be a good change.

I agree. Walt did not want to have one set of rides for half the family, and another set for the other half....he wanted everybody to be able to ride his rides together. Heck, even when he opened the Matterhorn it had no height restrictions.

SacTown Chronic
09-22-2003, 08:12 AM
What about Indy? My 5 year old son can't go on that and I really don't see why.

riding_big_thunder
09-22-2003, 08:16 AM
I have been many times to WDW and DLP and I can tell you that the version of Space Mountain at paris kicks the maerican versions butt. Turst me, you want this change, its so adrenaline packed, stuff the kids, lol, they have fantasyland! (Note to self: Never dis fantasyland)

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
What about Indy? My 5 year old son can't go on that and I really don't see why.

How tall is he? I know a height restriction is in place for a good reason- that ride is rough- and it's scary- so they probably want to make sure they are old enough and tall enough-

I was bummed when I could not go with my three year old daughter this year- even if I do understand why- I tried to pretend the ride did not exist so I would not feel too bad-

It's a lot rougher than Space Mountain-

SacTown Chronic
09-22-2003, 08:55 AM
He's 45" and I think the restriction is 48". I just don't see any reason for a height restriction over 40" for this ride.

CoasterMatt
09-22-2003, 09:14 AM
There are a few reasons for the height restriction on Indy...

For one, the ride does generate some rather intense forces (lateral Gs mostly), that a smaller less developed body might not handle very well.

The other has to do with seat geometry, the seatbelt as well as the angles of the seating surface work together to restrain the rider. A smaller passenger may not be restrained as effectively.

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 09:15 AM
Hum- well I know when I went on it I thought it was pretty rough- maybe they feel kids can't take the "beating" so to speak- I know when I look at my 40 inch tall daughter I think she is too small- but I do think 48 inches is a bit much- maybe 42 or 46?

Or do you think it could possibly be to keep very young kids from the frightening imagery? The corpses, the snake, the fire pit, the insects, the intense dark and the large rolling boulder? I suppose they might want to ensure that kids want to come back to DL and don't associate frightening things with it-

:confused:

MammaSilva
09-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I doubt it has anything to do with the childrens perceptions of the ride and everything to do with the actually safety of the riders. Some of the scenes from Pirates can be frightening but there isn't a height restriction on that ride..

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
True- it must be those "g forces" I read about but know nothing of- except experiencing them-

Same concept as the height restriction on CA Screamin I imagine- I would rather my daughter be a little older and taller anyway- so it's just as well-

daannzzz
09-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Loops are not the answer to everything. Space Mountian is a fun coaster in the present layout. You can go to Magic Mountain for all the loops you want.

timl33
09-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Unless there's a extra restraint loop like they have on Soarin over California, it would be real easy for someone short to slip through the seat belt on Indy. And if there was a restraint loop, then let's just say that some young boys might not grow up to become fathers. That's why they have a height limit.

Originally posted by CoasterMatt
There are a few reasons for the height restriction on Indy...

For one, the ride does generate some rather intense forces (lateral Gs mostly), that a smaller less developed body might not handle very well.

The other has to do with seat geometry, the seatbelt as well as the angles of the seating surface work together to restrain the rider. A smaller passenger may not be restrained as effectively.

UncleGDogWord
09-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by daannzzz
Loops are not the answer to everything. Space Mountian is a fun coaster in the present layout. You can go to Magic Mountain for all the loops you want.

I agree with that statement. If you truely look at the space the coaster actualy occupies it is quite cramped. The requirement for a loop may not be right for the space that needs to be.

What would be cool is a early design for the ride I saw in E Ticket were the ride went around the outside of the building and then went back in.

It could happend!:fez:

innerSpaceman
09-22-2003, 02:52 PM
While I love Disneyland's Space Mountain, I can assure you that the addition of a loop and a corkscrew or two make all the difference in the world when it comes to giving riders the illusion that they are in outer space.

To quote from my trip report on my recent visit to Paris:

"About the only relation to the previous space mountains is that it takes place in outer space. But not in the outer space of starfields and chocolate chip cookies - - no, DLP’s “Space Mountain” is set in an imagined outer space that is brimming with tumbling asteroids and littered with space debris. This fantasy aspect is mixed with the very realistic facet of there being no particular up or down ... in space.

Columbiad, the World’s Largest Gun - is a massive cannon at an 1899 scientific exposition. So powerful is this piece of humongous artillery that it can purportedly shoot a rocket all the way to the moon. Snake oil claim or scientific fact? Well, we are about to find out as we are harnessed into our bronze rocket module and sent out into the guts of the cannon. With ultra-dramatic orchestral music filling the air, our rocket is “loaded” into the Columbiad and we are prepared for blast-off. Large sections of the barrel wall slide back and forth as the Gun readies to fire, revealing Discoveryland far below and exposing the bristling top of Space Mountain to our view. And then, without warning, we are launched into the stratosphere at the speed of sound, and really cool musical sound accompanies us on our dizzying journey into imaginary space!

Suddenly we are zooming through an area of outer space that has seen some catastrophe or disaster. Dozens of blue, cratered asteroids are everywhere around us, and bits of flotsam and jetsam from abandoned spaceships also fill the blackened void. We ourselves seem headed for disaster as our rocket careens totally out of control thru the asteroid field. All sense of direction, all knowledge of up or down, is lost as our ship zips and zamms and loops and spins past space junk and around cosmic rocks. Though the track was simply laid out in loops and corkscrews, never have I experienced these standard coaster components so fabulously executed. The loop in outer space is absolutely disorienting. And the corkscrews are used to spin you into the back of a sputtering rocket engine and twist you right into the innards of a spark-filled asteroid. Finally, the rocket seems to find its path and heads straight up, up towards the man in the moon - the huge, blueish orb of our familiar satellite, with its craters quite clearly exhibiting the distinct characteristics of a friendly, human face. Ah, bliss and contentment at last ... until - suddenly the rocket veers off course again, and it’s more spinning and careening and upside down and space rocks. Finally, the ship blasts into the port of some futuristic power plant place and skids to a stop.

As long as I live, I will never forget my first ride on DLP’s Space Mountain. I was so discombobulated and disoriented and thrilled and, yes, drunk, that I was in fits of convulsive laughter throughout the entire ride. That’s right, laughter. It’s my reaction when things are stupendously wonderful, outrageously ingenious and fantastically fun. As we were shooting through asteroids and spinning out of control, I just laughed and laughed, and laughed some more. I laughed my head off until the ride was done, and then I simply said ... “Again!” "

fairytalelover
09-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by daannzzz

Amen!! I wish people would stop trying to turn DL into that nasty Six Flagg's!

Disneyfreak
09-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Disneyland Paris Space Mountain is completely different from six flags coasters. The problem with six flags is that there coasters have no heart; Theming is the heart and that is what space mountain in paris has. So I wouldnt even call it a coaster but a piece of disney magic. Space Mountain Anaheim needs the same thrill as paris. :)

innerSpaceman
09-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Themeing-wise, Disneyland Space Mountain is to DisneylandParis Space Mountain as Grizzy River Rapids is to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Disneyfreak
09-22-2003, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt go that far to compare GRR with POTC. Space Mountain is a coaster,and a unique one, I just want some kick in it. If they cant put a loop in it, make up for it and put MORE THEMING!!! Oh my gosh if they degraded the theming I would be so mad! But from what they are telling us is that they are going to spare "No Expense":rolleyes:
Right and im Mary Poppins.:)

merlinjones
09-22-2003, 08:21 PM
I posted this on another site way back when and got reamed by the charming Fab for my efforts.

Here's a cool idea for retheming Space Mountain: InnerSpace Mountain! Two Disneyland classics in one!

You load on new streamlined Atomobile trains and shrink into the Mighty Microscope to fall back and down, down, shrinking into a snowflake - - where you experience a series of trippy visual effects rooms as you continue to shrink down to the size of the snowflake molecule (put all of this where Honey is now).

Then, just when you can't shrink any further without coming back, a molecular recation is triggered (gasp!) - - sending you out wildly into a ride around the atom itself (the ride finale is a rethemed Space Mountain!)!

Cool or what?

Captain Josh
09-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Mary Poppins.:)

...I think you're onto something here. A Mary Poppins roller coaster, with loops, twists, and cars with umbrellas, and Julie Andrews *gush* SO EXCITING!:D

Morrigoon
09-22-2003, 10:39 PM
As I've said before, I absolutely LOVE Paris' SM, but would not want to lose our own.... plow down Innovwasteofspace, and put Paris' SM next door to the current one. Rename it (recycle the Mission to Mars name, perhaps?), and voila! Two great E-tickets in one great (again, finally) land.