PDA

View Full Version : Knott's or extra [day at] Disney?

blondiemouse
09-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Given the choice would you pick a 4th day at Disney/DCA or spend a day at Knotts ?:D

Dexter
09-21-2003, 11:27 AM
If it were me, I'd probably opt for the other day at knotts just so you can get away from the resort and see something else. Don't get me wrong I'm an avid Disney geek, however you might want a change of scenery. Just my .02

sleepyjeff
09-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Knotts is far better than DCA. But not even in the same ball park as Disneyland;)

cryan71
09-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Knotts-- and don't forget to get the chicken dinner lunch with all those hot biscuits.

disNeytEen
09-21-2003, 11:58 AM
Tough one, but i'll say Disney take a day to do your favorites and if you have kids get there pictures taken with the characters again.

Darkbeer
09-21-2003, 12:52 PM
Depends what you are looking to do, and who's in your party...

Knott's has a great kids area, Camp Snoopy...

Knott's also has some great coasters, especially Ghostrider and Xcelerator.

There is also the historical part of the part, which is the Ghost Town area.

Knott's is also great in the food department, I strongly recommend having lunch or dinner at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant, and having a funnel cake in the park, plus some boysenberry punch.

Knott's Photo Album (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4088391&a=30792526&f=0)

I would pick Knott's over DCA any day of the week.

Rallymonkey23
09-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
I would pick Knott's over DCA any day of the week.

Smart man. :D

Knott's is a great park. If you go, don't forget to visit "The Mystery Lodge". That "show" is cool!

sleepyjeff
09-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Smart man. :D

Knott's is a great park. If you go, don't forget to visit "The Mystery Lodge". That "show" is cool!

I saw a show back in 1986 that seemed very similar to the show at "The Mystery Lodge". The show was at the GM Pavillion at Vancouver, BC.'s Words Fair EXPO 86.

Can anyone confirm that this is a similar or maybe the same show?

By the Way: I also saw a show up there called O' Canada. Now showing at Epcot:)

Rallymonkey23
09-21-2003, 04:36 PM
It is the same show. This website (http://www.brcweb.com/projects/2-2/2-2-7.html) will tell you all about how the show works. :)

Edited to add: Looks like you saw it the year it opened. ;)

disguy
09-21-2003, 05:27 PM
We went to Knotts last year as part of a week vacation at Disneyland. We got there at 10am and left by noon there was hardly anyone in the park and a lot of attractions were closed due to the Halloween scream thing they do during Sept/Oct. This year I'm skipping Knotts and going to Universal. Of course we did have lunch at Mrs. Knotts and that is worth a trip down there :)

MouseWife
09-21-2003, 05:54 PM
I would take Knott's. Especially since you haven't been there in a long time.

Me, personally, I prefer no crowds or lines. The kids have more fun with the characters {as the train robber who told my daughter with the pierced lip, spinning his gun, 'Would ya like another one???' cracked me up, she rolled her eyes} and less time in lines.

The Mystery Lodge is a for sure, also, the gun show is fun as well as the gun fights on the street. Going into museums and shops there.

There is so much to see and do. You might have to look for it but it is there. If you are really interested in such things. I am and I love it all!!

Have fun what ever it is you decide!!!

sleepyjeff
09-21-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
It is the same show. This website (http://www.brcweb.com/projects/2-2/2-2-7.html) will tell you all about how the show works. :)

Edited to add: Looks like you saw it the year it opened. ;)

Ok thanks.....that is way too cool:) :cool:

Morrigoon
09-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Haven't been to Knott's since I was 12 (keep meaning to go, but shelling out the cash when I can get into DL for nothing makes it a hard decision to make!)

However, given the state that DL is in right now... go to KNOTT'S!

TP2000
09-21-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
I saw a show back in 1986 that seemed very similar to the show at "The Mystery Lodge". The show was at the GM Pavillion at Vancouver, BC.'s Words Fair EXPO 86.

Can anyone confirm that this is a similar or maybe the same show?

By the Way: I also saw a show up there called O' Canada. Now showing at Epcot:)

It is the exact same show. Like Walt Disney brought back several of the big pavilions he built for the 1964 World's Fair and installed them at Disneyland (Small World, Mr. Lincoln, Ford Motor Company dinosuars along the railroad, and Carousel Of Progress). When the 1986 World Exposition closed in October, 1986 the show was sold to Knott's. At Expo 86 it was the signature attraction of the big General Motors pavilion, but I don't think it has ever been sponsored by anyone at Knott's.

It was the hit of Expo 86, and I remember waiting in a very long line to see it. And almost 20 years later it's still a great show at Knott's. The last time I saw it though last year the Knott's employee who was running and introducing the show absolutely butchered the grace and style with which the show is supposed to be presented. The Knott's kid operating this show would be better suited cleaning out the slurpee machine at 2am at a 7-11. Luckily we were all in a "make fun of Knott's" kind of mood and we ended up just laughing hysterically at the inept Knott's employee.

But the show itself is still very good.

TP2000
09-21-2003, 09:11 PM
If you're already spending 3 days at the DLR, I would definitely spend the 4th day somewhere else. Knott's has slipped quite a bit in recent years from it's former glory, but then so has Disneyland.

There's just not enough to do at the DLR to justify spending 4 days there. Spend the fourth day at Knott's! Ghostrider and and their new launching "hot rod" coaster are fantastic rides! And there's still plenty of old sentimental favorites like Calico Mine Train, the Log Ride, stagecoaches, panning for gold, etc. etc.

sleepyjeff
09-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
It is the exact same show. Like Walt Disney brought back several of the big pavilions he built for the 1964 World's Fair and installed them at Disneyland (Small World, Mr. Lincoln, Ford Motor Company dinosuars along the railroad, and Carousel Of Progress). When the 1986 World Exposition closed in October, 1986 the show was sold to Knott's. At Expo 86 it was the signature attraction of the big General Motors pavilion, but I don't think it has ever been sponsored by anyone at Knott's.

It was the hit of Expo 86, and I remember waiting in a very long line to see it. And almost 20 years later it's still a great show at Knott's.

I remember that line. I must have waited over 3 hours to see the show.......it was worth it. Funny, when I saw it at knotts a couple a years ago there was no line:)

millionairegirl
09-22-2003, 08:20 AM
IMO, Knott's has really gone downhill in the last several years. No Haunted Shack anymore, no Soap Box racers, no Birdcage Theater. Knott's used to be a great THEME park, and now it's trying to be Six Flags. It DOES have Ghostrider, which is a great rollercoaster, but other than that it's not the greatest place. The clientele tends to be a tad 'rough' as well.

I'd recommend spending the morning/afternoon at the hotel pool or if you have hoppers at the DLR parks, and then have dinner at Mrs. Knotts, then get the $14 after 4 ticket to Knotts. I do enjoy Knotts, but I don't think there is enough there to keep me entertained all day.

UncleGDogWord
09-22-2003, 09:33 AM
You know I went to Knott's this time a few years ago and half the park was closed for upgrade for halloween. The roller coasters were up, but that was pretty much it.

If the tickets are part of the package that's one thing, but I wouldn't spend much to just ride a few rides.

CarGarxCM
09-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Just an FYI if you're planning to go soon, right now Knott's is offering a special discount: Adult admission= $24.95 and kids under 12= $8.95 if you bring a Pepsi product to the ticket counter with you when you purchase your tix. If you call their general info-line you'll hear it announce details regarding the special on the recorded message.

*Disney has always been superior IMO, but there are some cool things to do and see at Knott's; it has a "dusty" kind of charm of it's own and you can't beat a deal like that.