PDA

View Full Version : It didn't really all begin with a mouse!

Hades
09-06-2001, 09:19 PM
I know, I know, some of you are all aghast at the blasphemy I have just put in the title of this post. But some of you know exactly what I mean by it. Which brings me to the story behind this post.

On Wednesday and today (Sept 5th, and Sept 6th) I had the pleasure of assisting with an autograph session in the Fantasia shop at the DLH for the Disneyana Convention. Featured guests were: Dave Smith (author and Disney Historian), Peter Emmerich (Disney artist), Randy Noble (Disney artist), Jeff Kurtti (author of "The Journal of Milo Thatch"), Leslie Iwerks (Grand daughter of Ub Iwerks, first man to draw Mickey Mouse for Walt Disney), and John Kenworthy (Co-author with Leslie Iwerks for the book "The Hand Behind the Mouse"). But the person that I really got a kick out of was the one who coined the phrase which introduces this post. The lovely woman (then a little girl in 1925) is Virginia Davis.

Virginia Davis was the child star of the "Alice's Adventures" cartoon shorts back in 1925 thru 1926. In these animated shorts, she interacted with a host of animated animals and other characters. Walt Disney was the director of these works.

She was a lot of fun! Between being confused with the voice of Alice from "Alice in Wonderland" and teasing Disneyana Convention"ears" that she wouldn't sign their book because of the "It all began with a mouse" miss quote in the books which she would sign with her correction of the quote, she was a real hit. Here was a person who enjoyed telling people about her experiences with Walt Disney before he became the Legend we all know.

I had a great time working with her. So, in keeping with the promise I made to her :D , I would continue to spread the word to all who believe that it "all started with a mouse" that it actually "all started with a little girl named Alice!";)

amynicole22
09-07-2001, 10:30 AM
I remember that Disney magazine had a wonderful article about Virginia Davis and her many Alice films a few issues back. What a delightful surprise to uncover these early gems! I'm so jealous that you got to meet her:)

mad4mky
09-07-2001, 10:41 AM
When I make the comment "It all started with a Mouse",
my sweet hubby always jumps in..."No, it didn't...it started with an Alice".

Ralph Wiggum
09-07-2001, 10:58 AM
IMHO, nothing really started until the mouse. There may have been an ALICE but what got things started rolling was the mouse. :D

(edited to fix the word mouse to ALICE!!!)

mad4mky
09-07-2001, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
IMHO, nothing really started until the mouse. There may have been a mouse but what got things started rolling was the mouse. :D

Yeah, that's what I tell my hubby back.

Kuzcotopia
09-07-2001, 08:26 PM
It all started with some Malice.....

Is that the new Disney mantra?