PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrowland

DisneyBob
09-20-2003, 06:56 PM
I know we have been talking about the demise of Tomorrowland, and I was wondering if anybody knew if of any changes that might occur in the future. Also, the Rocket Rods track with no rockets looks horrible! Hopefully they can utilize it in some way for another attraction, even if they have to modify it.

MonorailMan
09-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DisneyBob
I know we have been talking about the demise of Tomorrowland, and I was wondering if anybody knew if of any changes that might occur in the future.

Well, according to Al Lutz at www.miceage.com (a great read, IMHO), we have really 2 "new" TL ideas in the pipeline:

1. A version of Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. A Rodger Rabbit meets laser tag style attraction.
2. Also, Al has been talking about a possible redo of the Innoventions building, making the lower section, a "History of Disneyland", rotating theater.

sleepyjeff
09-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes, Disney has wonderful plans in store for Tomorrowland:

After they close down the Monorail, there will only be 4 attractions(if you can call go-carts, two movies, and a carnival style rocket ship ride attractions) left to close in a race with DCA's Hollywood Pictures Back Lot to see which will be completely empty first;)

Seriously though. What I would like to see ( but probably won't ) is:

1) A first rate Buzz Lightyear attraction using the new trackless technology developed for Tokyo DL.

2) Replace Star Tours & Starcade with an attraction I like to call "Project Orion". Basically a ride/walkthru of a trip to a Interstellar spacecraft. The plot: First you board a spaceplane that would take you from earth to an orbiting spaceship. Than you board that spaceship and explore it on your own. The ship could have static display crew quarters, gym, cafeteria, and an elaborate bridge with a grand view of Earth on a HUGE screen.

3) Replace People Mover with a ride that looks like flying cars. Using optical camouflage this ride could look as if it were flying from both the riders point of view and others on the gound as well.

4) Bring back the Subs with a futuristic Sea Base overlay.

5) Bring back the SKYWAY!

6) Turn Inoventions into a DisneyQuest :)

7) Lose HISTA and bring in a fresh new 3-D Movie every couple years:)

8) Return to reality and accept that if I want to see a decent Tomorrowland I need a ticket to Tokyo:rolleyes:

Nephythys
09-20-2003, 08:17 PM
I am still so sad over the closing of the Subs- but isn't it generally agreed that with the regulations of access for people with disabilities that it would be impractical to build the subs to load at any reasonable rate of speed? Not to mention the difficulties in even building it that way?

I suspect we will never see the sub running again- I am so vary glad I have my memories of it- although if they DO come up with a way I would love to see Atlantis theme or Nemo or Little Mermaid-

sleepyjeff
09-20-2003, 09:02 PM
I know this may drive some people nuts; but I would love to have the subs back as a decorative touch only with no one riding it.

I miss watching the subs glide thru the lagoon silently. This was such a cool corner of TL at one time.....with the subs gliding thru the lagoon, the Monorail gliding over it and the Peoplemover touring next to it.

Basicaly I want the "old Lagoon" back. It was just so cool, especially at night:crying:

MammaSilva
09-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Well not to bring up a dead horse here, but Disney can't use the ADA issue on the subs .. they could get a waiver there just like they have for the treehouse and the castle walk thru (if it ever were to reopen)

Nephythys
09-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Oh- I did not know that they could waive those things- I don't know anything about the way those things work- so that "horse" is still alive for me-

Tref
09-20-2003, 10:14 PM
According to Al Lutz, there are also a few rides coming down the pipeline for To-morrowland, so, slap a Danish and palm a mess of coffee and let's begin:

1. We'll begin with one I like to call, Adventures into the Future, though you are asked to refer to the ride as Mr. Adventures into the Future.
The ride takes place a full 90 minutes in the future. It is not an actual ride but a very long and tedious queue, the end of which will put you exactly at the beginning, though approximately 90 minutes later. A photo will be provided of you looking at your watch, for a nominal fee of $27. Cool merchandise, including a hat that reads, "I don't know when I have been cheated," for a nominal undisclosed fee.

2. The Michael Eisner Story - the story of Michael Eisner comes to life using the magic of Colorforms (due to recent budget cuts, all WED designers have now been transferred into Food and Beverage Sales.) Guests will witness, astounding Lite-brite re-creations of Eisner's early professional wrestling days, Mr. Eisner cashing his first billion dollar check at the age of ten, and finally, New Disney CEO, Michael Eisner, eagerly arriving to work having put on his suit backwards. Merchandise includes a crude likeness of Eisner done in sponge.

3. A Trip to the Moon - Not based on, or associated with, anything to do with NASA or actual moon travel, but a trackless ride that recreates George Melies, famed 1902 film of the same name. Riders will see first hand what an actual trip to the moon would be like, assuming the rider knows nothing of the last 40 years of technical progress. Watch as the space-ship is loaded into a giant cannon and shot into space! Amaze as the ship crash lands directly into the eye-ball of the face on the moon! Astound as lobstermen and mermaids attack the helpless bearded scientists! Revile, as you are charged $27 for a photo taken of you, not during the ride, but unbeknownst to you inside your hotel room! Merchandise includes a handful of peanut seeds and a shovel.

Disneyphile
09-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Well.... a group of us were discussing Friday night about having a telethon to "save" Tomorrowland.

Just think.....

For the same price as a Starbuck's latte, you can help provide one pint of paint.

For the same price as a six-pack of soda, you can purchase one bottle of Coke from a lonely ODV CM in Tomorrowland to at least give them someone to interact with in their barren surroundings.

Won't you all just find it in your hearts to give Tomorrowland the future it deserves?

Tigertail777
09-21-2003, 02:07 AM
LOL!!!!!!!! Tref, and Disneyphile you both got me laughing.. and considering I have the flu right now I am not sure thats a good thing.

Bring back the subs in some RIDE-ABLE form, I want to have not only something to look at in the lagoon, but something to RIDE. I loved the subs it used to be in my top 5 fave rides.
However... if its not do-able to bring back subs, at least make a 20,000 leagues/atlantis (or switch them off every other night), lagoon show. They could build a lager rock wall on the back of the lagoon and project one of those movies onto it as water fell over the rock wall, and have little miniture subs and stuff from those movies re-enact the parts in the lagoon in time to the movie. For instance in 20,000 leagues when the Nautilus is about to ram the scotia, have a mini nautilus about to hit a mini scotia, and when the models hit each other, have a huge "explosion" pillar of water spray the audience (and have it lit up with lights underneath to seem more like a true "explosion"). Have a mini volcania island in the middle of the lagoon that erupts and blows up like in the ending of 20,000 leagues.... etc. It could be a neat little show, with little to no fireworks.. and you could do all kinds of extra things to make it more than just a movie. Have a underwater mini "barge" of the Nautilus pop up with the giant squid on it during that scene, and have an actor dressed like Nemo fighting it. Sort of a 20,000 leagues fantasmic show without all the pyro.