PDA

View Full Version : Extinct Attractions Club

BJW
09-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, as I took a temporary hiatus from the boards while I was ill. Does anyone know about the extinct attractions club. The site is http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/ . (Sorry, I'm not sure how to do a hyperlink on here.) Is this legitimate? I got the link from the 9/17 update on Lance Hart's Screamscape website. Also, I noticed extinct attractions has a link to Al's Miceage site on their links page. Does anyone have any of their DVDs of old attractions? Are they worth the price? Do we know the money is really going to help the less fortunate that live in the Disneyland area? Make sure you read the story of how this website got started while you're on there, it's actually pretty heartwrenching. I'd appreciate some of your opinions as I'm considering buying a membership.

justagrrl
09-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Is this the same guy that was taking people's money and not sending the videos?

MonorailMan
09-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
Is this the same guy that was taking people's money and not sending the videos?

Don't forget, thsi was only one member's statement. :)

Duane
09-20-2003, 08:36 AM
I have the entire collection of their DVD's. It took me about 2 weeks to get them. They did a great job of putting everything together. My favorite part of each DVD is the beginning segments. They have put together several "in park" scenes from footage sent in by guests. It's neat to see Disneyland from the early years.

efoxx
09-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Don't forget, thsi was only one member's statement. :)
not to be picky, but this is a question. and I think it is a legit. one at that.

BJW
09-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Duane
I have the entire collection of their DVD's. It took me about 2 weeks to get them. They did a great job of putting everything together. My favorite part of each DVD is the beginning segments. They have put together several "in park" scenes from footage sent in by guests. It's neat to see Disneyland from the early years.
Sounds like it must be legit, and 2 weeks isn't long to wait. I wonder why that member mentioned earlier had a bad experience?

Lost Boy
09-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I have all 6 DVD's and have provided them with our home movies of the Park in 1955 and 1959 as well Country Bear Playhouse footage which will be used in the DVD on Country Bears. The DVD's are great, well done and have lots of history on each of the Extinct Attractions. One of the disc's I got was on Mission to Mars and it would not play at all. I e-mailed them and within 2 days a new copy showed up and it's plays fine.

The next disc will be on Country Bears and the one after that will be the first on Extinct Attractions at WDW and will be devoted to Horizons with lots of historical footage also.

These discs are not for sale, but are like something you get when you join the Extinct Attractions Club, They are $14.95 each when you join the club. They are lots of fun and worth the price of joining the club.

justagrrl
09-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy

These discs are not for sale, but are like something you get when you join the Extinct Attractions Club, They are $14.95 each when you join the club. They are lots of fun and worth the price of joining the club.

Sounds like they are for sale to me. If you have to pay a fee to get something, what else do you call it besides "selling"?

I'm curious to know if the guy that complained about not getting his stuff ever got it resolved. I sent an email asking about the videos and never got a reply.

Here's some reading material for you I found on google groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=david+collier+disney&btnG=Google+Search

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 06:26 AM
I'm confused too- what is the point of the club except selling the dvd's?
It has the appearance of a dvd club to me-
Although I would dearly love to see the Sub dvd-

justagrrl
09-22-2003, 06:37 AM
You may even wish to view this search with 2003 added. (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=extinct+attractions+club+2003)

The first article, dated 8/19/2003 references still ongoing problems with receiving the DVD's.

Sad - because it's certainly something I would be interested in but all the stuff I've read scares me into not participating.

watkinz
09-22-2003, 08:42 AM
I've been doing google searches regarding the extinct attractions club for a couple months now as I too have been incredibly concerned about 1) getting the DVDs and 2) if they're of any decent quality.

(see this link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/progresscity/message/3353 )

Also, does anyone know if Disney can take any sort of action against Extinct Attractions Club? This whole membership thing seems to be a way to stay under the radar from Disney, which just makes the whole situation seem much more shady than it already does.

I also have a silly question:

If it turns out Disney can go after extinct attractions club, would they also be able to go after any the "members" for having these DVDs?

:confused:

adriennek
09-22-2003, 08:51 AM
The most recent concern we had on MousePad was posted on 8/19/03. According to his profile, (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=4607) this member hasn't posted since that date, but here's the thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19302) he started then, which has some other feedback on it.

Adrienne

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 09:09 AM
My feeling after reading all this is that it is not worth the trouble and I will just have to be content with my memories of those rides-

SteveK
09-22-2003, 10:07 AM
I've purchased all six DVD's with a mixed bag of results. It took longer than I expected to get the DVD's and I had issues with one of the DVD's that wouldn't work. Dave O'Neal was nice enough replace it both times. The last time it took only 2 days to get to me.

As for the DVD's, I think I expected expected a little more from the packaging and presentation. The DVD's came in basic jewel cases with no covers and a couple of the DVD's actually had artwork lasered on. The others just had the name of the DVD written on the face of it. This is no fault of the "Club", I think I just assumed that's what I would get...something a little more "professional". As for the DVD's, some are good, some aren't as good.

Adventure thru innerspace: this is the one I was most looking forward to but probably this biggest disappointment. The title screens and documentary is great but the ride through is where it fell short. It's a dark ride and unfortunately the video is too dark to recognize most of the ride (excluding the eye at the end).

America Sings: Probably the best of the vids. They've taken a couple of different home video's and put them together for this DVD. Keep in mind with all of these, they are from home videos and the quality show this. I really do like this one.

Nature's Wonderland: Good compilation of home videos and a good history of the ride. Shows some of where the left over track is and the relationship to big thunder.

Mission to mars: Pre show is good quality but the actual show is a little difficult to see do to poor lighting.

Peoplemover: great video of the ride-through both at disneyland and WDW. Decent quality all the way around.

Submarine Voyage. Good video of the the entire voyage although you're looking through a video camera looking through a porthole.

Overall, I was fairly happy with these after some initial hiccups. While these are in no way perfect quality videos, this is the only way we can currently relive this favorite long gone attractions. The basic video presentation and audio (voiceovers) is pretty well done. I will most likely purchase the Country Bear DVD as well. As for the legality...my guess is they're not entirely legal. However, I would have expected Disney's lawyers to already be knocking on their door if there was a major issue.