PDA

View Full Version : 2005, 50th Anniversary questions

Nephythys
09-19-2003, 11:42 AM
I am planning a trip to DL in 2005 to be there for the 50th anniversary- but lately I have been seeing some things come up that make me question my plans- I was hoping I could get some advice from people here-

First off- I remember that Walt's 100th birthday celebration actually ran from Feb to Feb- not a calendar year- is this the same sort of thing, given that DL did not open on Jan 1?

Also- I was looking at Refurb Mike's website (very cool BTW) and note that the refurbs due to open again in 2005 open in LATE 2005- November, December- so in order to take full advantage of the park I would have to wait until then, or the beginning of 2006? and if I do- then I miss things like HM which is down after the holidays, and Small World while the lights come off-

This is going to be a carefully planned trip, I am coming out with my four children, then the plan is for my parents and younger brother to join us for 3-5 days, then they will go home and we will stay a couple more days. I am also paying for the whole thing- and I know I will probably stay off-property to save because flying 8 people out is costly enough!

So- any tips on timing, or planning trips with large groups would be really really appreciated- I know this is more than a year away but savings starts now!:D

refurbmike
09-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey Nephythys,

Thanks for the kind words about the site.

Unfortunately, I think it is too early to tell with the 50th. I have heard rumors that celebrations will start in 2004 and I've heard elsewhere that they won't start till 2005. There are a lot of rumors floating around and nothing is really solid.

What I can tell you is that you'll probably want to wait until atleast July 17th and possibly later for the full experience.

As of right now, Thunder Mt. may be down for a year or two, Space is down right now, and what is coming up in the next year (Tower of Terror and possibly Buzz Lightyear) will probably need some tweaking to give the best ride experience.

Anyway, I know that's a lot of opinion and not much fact. I'd say keep coming back to the sites for the most up-to-date info.

Nephythys
09-19-2003, 02:31 PM
I thought that might be true- but out here in CO I don't have my ear to the ground like some of you in Cali do-

I know ToT opens in 2004- and since I do have some weekend trips planned during 2004 I will be able to check it out.

I know nothing about this Buzz Lightyear thing- is this a new ride or a teardown of an old one? I guess it will be like the one in WDW?

I was very surprised by your site dates for Space Mountain and other attractions- I figured that Disney would be smart enough to bring those things all back online for the whole of the year given the importance of 50 years- but it looks like it may take a while if things are not due to come on until November or December 2005- I might as well forget going in the actual "year" of the anniversary and just go when everything (or most of everything) is running-

Well- even if it is too early for info on 2005, maybe tips on large groups would still be available from those who know?

Thanks!

:D

refurbmike
09-19-2003, 02:58 PM
I know nothing about this Buzz Lightyear thing- is this a new ride or a teardown of an old one? I guess it will be like the one in WDW?

Yea, Buzz is a rumored ride to begin construction soon in Tomorrowland. There's only speculation as to when it will be finished and to what ride elements it will have, but the rumors are out there.

Concerning the long refurbs (Space and Thunder), unfortunately those are just very extensive projects that will require a lot of time.

The Photographer
09-19-2003, 03:57 PM
You're flying 8 people? And I thought I was generous. LOL You win! If you know anyone who owns Timeshare/RCI, they offer Bonus Breaks to members. It means they can rent a week's time without using or trading the week they own. There are 3 resorts in Anaheim joined up with RCI. Something worth throwing out there.

Most resorts sleep 6 or 8 people in a condo-style unit.

I sound like a salesgirl. And now on your left...

thekirk
09-20-2003, 09:25 AM
Nephythys - thats a lot of people to fly out with and deal with :)

This is how I look at it - they basically have a year before celebrations start, knowing Disney it will start in late 2004.

And if they are in the right mind set everything will be open by July 17th, 2005. If they don't it's going to be way too crowded. They are going to need all the rides open that they possibly can! Especially for the months of June, July, and August.

My advice to you is that you wait about a year to finalize anything. A lot more information will be out in the next year. It is too early to tell right now.

I hope that your trip is great!!!

innerSpaceman
09-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Considering that Space Mountain will open November 2005 at the earliest, I would (if I were you) plan for a late November, early December visit.

That will give you the very pretty Christmastime in the Park, the last huzzah of the 50th birthday year, Big Thunder open for sure, Space Mountain probably premiering again - causing the most excitment of the anniversary year, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Small World Holiday, and new Buzz Lightyear ride.

But make that trip before Christmas, not after it, to avoid horrendous crowds.

tjrj
09-20-2003, 12:34 PM
We're in CO too. And the timeframe that InnerSpaceman mentions is the one we are thinking about for right now when re-furbs and park plans are still up in the air. Went for early December visit last year, and it was the best. Only draw back was that we didn't spend as much time in the pool as if we had gone earlier in the year.

Nephythys
09-20-2003, 06:19 PM
This is very helpful- thanks everyone-

I would love to visit the park at Christmas time- I have never been there during that time that I recall- I might have been there during the holidays when I was very small- but, this would be a wonderful idea-

The biggest cost of the trip is the flights- I am trying to build up miles on my mileage cards- and also find the cheapest flights. I know if I look hard and pounce on the great deals I can probably do it for $200 per person- so figure $1600 for flights alone- staying off property will save me a HUGE amount of money- and even though it is very nice to stay ON property the costs just don't justify it for this trip.

I also usually book through Disney and get the meal plan as well- which helps keep those costs in line-

I own a time share, which I could use, but none are all that close to Anaheim. I guess driving in every day would not be too terrible but I do like being close to the park. Last time I stayed at the Carousel Inn and it was less than a 5 minute walk.

Anything I can do to cut costs will make this trip more do-able! My mother grew up in Venice CA and has not been to Cali in almost 20 years, neither has my dad, and there are so many new things I would love to have them experience. Although I am still trying to talk my mom into going on Splash Mountain! My brother has not been in years, I think he was like 4 or 5 last time and now he is almost 22- and I simply must get back, because there is nowhere I love more-

I know DL has it's real life problems, and I know it isn't really perfect- but I still feel my breath catch in my chest and I get teary when I think of the fabulous moments of memory I have from that place- I can't wait to drag my whole family out there for a family trip-

I really love the idea of being there around Christmas time- it sounds wonderful-

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 06:29 AM
Looks like we will be driving-
After a conversation about the cost and the pros anc cons of driving vs. flying- I think we are going to drive-

That will save major money on flights as well as saving on a rental car- and if we stay at a hotel on Harbour, like Carousel Inn like I did last time- we can park and walk to the park instead of paying parking fees-

For the trips in 2004 I will fly though- I am only coming out for a 3 day weekend each time, and driving is out of the question-

Anyone else have driving stories to share?

tjrj
09-22-2003, 06:41 AM
My best driving advice would be to do the drive in 2 days. Yes, I can do the drive in about 14 hours-from my driveway to DL, but the whole crew is much happier if we spend the night along the way. Are you coming from the Denver area, Nephythys? Flagstaff/Williams makes a nice middle point. We are in Durango, so we usually push it a bit the first day and stay in Laughlin-makes a nice easy drive for the second day.

Nephythys
09-22-2003, 07:48 AM
I live in Parker- as do my parents and children. My brother lives in Greeley but obviously will come down to Parker for the trip-

I happen to have an 8 passenger mini-van, a Pontiac Montana- so we can all go in the same car- which saves even more- and we would leave on a Friday night and expect to arrive on Sunday at some point- spend 5 days, leave on Saturday morning and take Monday off to recover-

I am now (prematurely) asking when Fastasmic shows during that time of the year because I would hate for the members of my family who have not seen the show (other than my videos) to miss it-

The timing of this trip is a bear- and I have to start planning now for costs even though the trip is not for 2 years-