PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about "free" upgrade to AP

Bluesky
01-11-2014, 08:03 PM
OK, this is so dumb, but I have to make sure that I'm not just being...mean. My brother-in-law told me that his family got a free upgrade to APs when they were in line to buy tickets at DL sometime last year. This sounds ludicrous to me (and if I had heard of it I would have dropped everything & driven the 6 hours to take advantage of the deal). He said it was some sort of "promotion." My bil gets almost everything wrong, so my thought is that they were buying park hoppers and the CM offered them to upgrade (for the regular rate) and either they are lying to themselves or they didn't understand. I just have to know, before I drive myself crazy, if there was ever, or has ever been such a thing in 2013. It's crazy talk, right? If not, I will believe the next three things he says to me without question (but that's as far as I can go :) )

3Princesses1Prince
01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I have not heard anything about any such promotion last year.

Gullywhumper
01-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I've heard of "buy a day, get a year" from other parks. Is it possible he was confused about where he was when he got this deal?

Malcon10t
01-12-2014, 12:39 PM
He is either 1. confused or 2. lying.

3Princesses1Prince
01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
I've heard of "buy a day, get a year" from other parks. Is it possible he was confused about where he was when he got this deal?

Universal does this near the end of the year.

candles71
01-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Actually 3P1P, Universal does it more often than that. We've gotten that deal in the Spring and in the fall before. Universal, not DL.

Sandie4jc
01-12-2014, 02:26 PM
The only way he might have been correct is if he was buying a 4 or 5 day park hopper for and was "upgraded" to a Southern California Select AP ($279) which is actually cheaper ($285/4, $300/5). Not that I'm taking his side on this ;-)

candles71
01-12-2014, 03:58 PM
They won't do that. Yo can only upgrade to a higher cost pass.

snoopyfink
01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
My bil gets almost everything wrong, so my thought is that they were buying park hoppers and the CM offered them to upgrade (for the regular rate) and either they are lying to themselves or they didn't understand. I just have to know, before I drive myself crazy, if there was ever, or has ever been such a thing in 2013. It's crazy talk, right? If not, I will believe the next three things he says to me without question (but that's as far as I can go :) )

Bluesky, I think we all have a family member like this... one who "gets things wrong," by exaggerating or misstating something because they want to "brag" a bit or feel privileged. I have an inlaw who is extremely loyal to one hotel chain's loyalty program--going so far as to book three separate rooms for a three night stay in order to cumulate more "stays" with this hotel chain and reap more rewards. He talks about how amazing the service is and how he doesn't pay for anything when he stays at these places. Well, that's obviously not true, but he's so convinced of how wonderful these hotels are that he can't understand why everyone doesn't stay there. We got to tag along on a free weekend stay at one of these hotels with this inlaw and didn't receive any special treatment like he always brags about.

That was a long answer, but intended to be a "I can relate" response. All this said, no, DL has not done any offer like this... EVER.... ? and definitely not in recent years. Six Flags, Knotts and Universal (the other major So-Cal amusement parks) all do, although mostly just for locals.

CariBelle
01-13-2014, 03:02 PM
They won't do that. Yo can only upgrade to a higher cost pass.

I think she means "upgraded" in a sense that an AP is "better" than a hopper ticket. I could see a friend of mine (she's the resident one upper in our group) saying something like that.

Bluesky
01-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies (and "getting it", lol). Funny thing is this little discussion spurred me to book a quick trip down to DL, so I'll be there next weekend :)