PDA

View Full Version : On this day in DL history.....

scaeagles
09-19-2003, 06:13 AM
Interesting DL tidbit - on this day in 1959, Nikita Khrushchev, the leader of the USSR, while visiting Los Angeles, was denied entrance to DL due to "security reasons". Apparently he got rather ticked about that.

Just thought that was interesting.

SacTown Chronic
09-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Same thing happened to my mother-in-law. Course it doesn't help that she's a dead ringer for Osama Bin Laden.:D

scaeagles
09-19-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
Same thing happened to my mother-in-law. Course it doesn't help that she's a dead ringer for Osama Bin Laden.:D

Probably more dangerous, too, if she's anything like mine.

SacTown Chronic
09-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you might know her.

stagedoorjonny
09-19-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by scaeagles
Interesting DL tidbit - on this day in 1959, Nikita Khrushchev, the leader of the USSR, while visiting Los Angeles, was denied entrance to DL due to "security reasons". Apparently he got rather ticked about that.

What I was told on the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour is he was denied access because Walt had the eigth largest sub fleet in the world and was proud of that. But the subs where built the same way as our navy subs and they didn't want him to have an up close look. If it is true or not I don't know.

Nigel2
09-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles

Well they were concerned for Khruschev's saftey and if he died in the park that could have caused a whole lot of problems.

Morrigoon
09-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Actually it's because he was a commie pig and it was the cold war.

(Read as: because there are lots of nutty people with guns in the world and the secret service could not keep all of them from entering DL that day)

tod
09-20-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Actually it's because he was a commie pig and it was the cold war.

(Read as: because there are lots of nutty people with guns in the world and the secret service could not keep all of them from entering DL that day)

This was 1959.

A few years later, when President Kennedy was killed, the unthinkable became thinkable. But in 1959, I can assure you, nobody (except maybe some hard-liners in the CIA and the Politburo) was thinking of offing Khrushchev, or any world leader.

--T
:fez: