PDA

View Full Version : Soarin refurbishment

Pages : [1] 2

Carabear930
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Anyone know what kind of work is being done on Soarin'? I see it is listed to start refurb mid Feb (18th) and looks like will be down for several months. Just curious if it is getting a major overhaul.

zandy
01-09-2014, 08:49 PM

oregontraveler
01-10-2014, 03:01 AM
Yes, this is a pretty big over-haul. They are finally converting from 70mm film to digital. I think they might be replacing or maybe repainting the screens. At the same time, they have already received approval from the FAA to shoot new fly-overs at DLR in March for a new film, "Soarin' Over the World" Which asks the question, will they do the same thing in Orlando, and finish with a fireworks shot over WDW. I also understand that Soarin' will be part of Disneyland Shanghai when that park opens.

olegc
01-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Yes, this is a pretty big over-haul. They are finally converting from 70mm film to digital. I think they might be replacing or maybe repainting the screens. At the same time, they have already received approval from the FAA to shoot new fly-overs at DLR in March for a new film, "Soarin' Over the World" Which asks the question, will they do the same thing in Orlando, and finish with a fireworks shot over WDW. I also understand that Soarin' will be part of Disneyland Shanghai when that park opens.

To add - from previous reports this is being driven by the SHangai install (which is slated to get the world video) but they want to test it to verify so Soarin in DCA is the testbed. Replacement of the screen (since the 4K digital projection system requires a different design). None of the previous reports (which are obviously insider leaks and could be considered rumor) have stated that any other fireworks finale would be filmed so its not clear whether WDW would get their own custom ending, or if Shanghai would either (though its Disneyland is patterned after Anaheim so could you tell?). They supposedly are also upgrading the smell-a-vision and other effects. I don't know if the ride mechanism (the glider portion) is getting any kind of modification.

Carabear930
01-10-2014, 02:13 PM
I thought it might be to convert to digital, but I thought soarin' over the world was going to come at a later date after the Shanghai debut.

mikedoyleblogger
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
I thought it might be to convert to digital, but I thought soarin' over the world was going to come at a later date after the Shanghai debut.

This. The upcoming closure is to convert to digital (so those smudges and dust bunnies will finally go away.) The new film will come later.

lifeisgood
01-11-2014, 11:25 AM
I'm looking forward to not smelling pine in EVERY scene, too!

jamwilson
01-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Is the date for the filming of the new portion at Disneyland March 12?

unclewalt
01-14-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm looking forward to not smelling pine in EVERY scene, too!

Especially when that part of the film (redwood creek) is lined with doug firs and true firs.....they need to hire some foresters as video "smell" advisors....

TTFN92
01-15-2014, 06:43 AM
Is the date for the filming of the new portion at Disneyland March 12?
That's what I heard.

DwarfPlanet
01-15-2014, 08:09 AM
It will be nice to see a clean screen again.

Pammer
01-29-2014, 10:22 AM
I was just checking DL's online refurbishment for March 2-4 and Soarin' has dropped off the schedule for that timeframe (it was there a week ago)! Not sure if this is just more of their computer program glitches or not...

candles71
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Right now I think we are back to the stone ages. You know, when you would go to the park not knowing what was down. :p You had to read the sign when you got there.

Pammer
01-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Right now I think we are back to the stone ages. You know, when you would go to the park not knowing what was down. :p You had to read the sign when you got there.I still do that too ~ LOL! :D

candles71
01-29-2014, 02:16 PM
I still do that too ~ LOL! :D
One of our trips we got all excited at bag check because Splash wasn't on the board. Yep, it had just fallen off. :(

Pammer
01-29-2014, 02:28 PM
One of our trips we got all excited at bag check because Splash wasn't on the board. Yep, it had just fallen off. :(Oh that's so funny! :D

Pirate Girl
02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
I was just checking DL's online refurbishment for March 2-4 and Soarin' has dropped off the schedule for that timeframe (it was there a week ago)! Not sure if this is just more of their computer program glitches or not...

According to one of the CM's at Soarin'... the refurb was canceled. He said it would be rescheduled, but they did not yet have a date for it. This was on Saturday.

Pammer
02-05-2014, 08:23 AM
According to one of the CM's at Soarin'... the refurb was canceled. He said it would be rescheduled, but they did not yet have a date for it. This was on Saturday. Great - thanks!

yedliw
02-05-2014, 10:08 AM
They should shoot it in 3D.. and mix up the scenes like they do with Star Tours, so it is a different experience every time..

if 3D makes it too intense.. they can separate the lines like at Mission Space.. have 1 screen regular and 1 screen 3D.. I figure if any of the films at Disney are due for a 3D upgrade.. it is Soarin'

houseofmouse
02-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Please no more 3-D. Not everything has to be 3-D. :/ If there was only one 3D screen could you imagine the lines? UGH!

Blacksheep Uncle
02-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Just say NO!!! to more 3D attractions...good HiDef looks so much better.

Pirate Girl
02-05-2014, 07:52 PM
They should shoot it in 3D.. and mix up the scenes like they do with Star Tours, so it is a different experience every time..

if 3D makes it too intense.. they can separate the lines like at Mission Space.. have 1 screen regular and 1 screen 3D.. I figure if any of the films at Disney are due for a 3D upgrade.. it is Soarin'

No! No no, no, no, no! There are already far too many cheap attractions win 3-D in the parks. Don't ruin the beauty of Soarin' with cheap tricks!

jcruise86
02-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the update, David!

(Reminder to readers: David's book "Mouse Tales," is in my opinion--along with the $100+ "Nickel Tour" postcard-based book--one of the two best books about Disneyland.)

I'd like to see cast members not already on the graveyard shift who are forced to work between midnight and 6am earning double time for those hours. I know from experience it can be literally painful for a morning person to suddenly have to stay awake from 1am through 4 or 5 am, and it can really mess with a sleeping schedule.

It would be cool if "Soarin Over the World" were at every Disney resort for a couple of years, but then after that I'd like to see "Soarin' Over Europe" in Paris, "Soarin' Over Japan" in Tokyo, "Soarin' Over America" (the other 49 states) at WDW, "Soarin' Over China" at Hong Kong and Shanghai, and "Soarin' Over California" in Anaheim. This might help inspire some wealthier guests to visit other Disney Resorts.

Pirate Girl
02-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see cast members not already on the graveyard shift who are forced to work between midnight and 6am earning double time for those hours. I know from experience it can be literally painful for a morning person to suddenly have to stay awake from 1am through 4 or 5 am, and it can really mess with a sleeping schedule.

??? :confused:

HeavenOnEarth
02-21-2014, 08:33 AM
So what exactly are they doing with Soaring now? First it was going to be down for 3-4 months for a major rehaul. Now its only going to be down for a couiple of weeks...for what? I have a hard time thinking anything major can be done it a couple of days.