PDA

View Full Version : Tinker Hell - OC Weekly, 9/19/03

Darkbeer
09-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Tinker Hell (http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/04/03/news-schou.php) - OC Weekly, 9/19/03

QuikQuote: Above all, Fitzgerald says, his group asked AQMD to determine whether sulfur in the smoke from the fireworks—which, when combined with water vapor in the air, forms sulfuric acid—was harmful to local residents. Last month, just after Disney ended its summer fireworks season, the AQMD finally released its report on the fireworks. Agency officials declared the fireworks a "nuisance" for local residents and suggested Disney tone down the show.
Nonetheless, Tucker said Disney has agreed to reduce the number of fireworks in each show. "We installed high-pressure water systems to intercept the smoke and lower it," Tucker said. "We also tried to suppress the smoke through the use of heavy water droplets, and thirdly, we even brought in large theatrical fans to move the smoke. [AQMD officials] were very pleased to hear all these efforts. We believe we have an excellent relationship with AQMD." Tucker added, "It’s a moot point because the fireworks are over—they ended on Aug. 31."

Darkbeer
09-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Darkbeer's PERSONAL comment...

I have to love that last line in the QuikQuote..."It’s a moot point because the fireworks are over—they ended on Aug. 31."

So, are you saying there will never be Fireworks again at the DLR....:rolleyes:

Last time I checked, the Holiday version of Believe starts on Friday, November 7th.

stagedoorjonny
09-19-2003, 10:57 AM
I don't see why these people are complaining. They bought the houses most likely after Disney was doing firworks and I sure they knew it at the time of purchase.

Why are they complaining now???:confused:

disguy
09-19-2003, 11:05 AM
It just kills me to hear these stories. Hello!! Disneyland was there way before your home was. So call your broker and put that "For Sale" sign up!

PapiBear
09-19-2003, 03:18 PM
Yet again, a good, valid reason why the City of Anaheim should invoke eminent domain, buy the properties, then sell the land to Disney.

I mean, these people are basically complaining that they bought houses near Disneyland. As if someone put a gun to their heads and FORCED them to do that.

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by disguy
It just kills me to hear these stories. Hello!! Disneyland was there way before your home was. So call your broker and put that "For Sale" sign up!
I second this remark.

innerSpaceman
09-19-2003, 04:23 PM
It's bad enough that Disneyland can't do any fireworks on a "school night" - - these people who live within a stone's throw of the Park should either put up with it or get out.

That's not to say that the smoke doesn't travel far, and that people living further away should not have an expectation of clean(ish) air. And, of course, if it proves to be truly dangerous to breathe, then Disney shouldn't be doing the fireworks at all - much as I love them, I don't want to be poisoned.

But it burns my biscuits to hear that they are actually going to cut back on the pyro.

Can we just please close the entire Park down and be done with it??!?!?

tod
09-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by stagedoorjonny
I don't see why these people are complaining. They bought the houses most likely after Disney was doing firworks and I sure they knew it at the time of purchase.

I think -- and you would have to check with the complainers to be sure -- that (1) nobody (and this includes Disney) thought that fireworks smoke was unhealthy until recently and (2) the homeowners may have known that Disneyland was there but they didn't know that Disneyland was going to run fireworks every weekend for years.

You buy in for "summer fireworks" and you get "every weekend fireworks" you might get a little testy. The Hollywood Bowl neighbors might get like that if the Bowl went year-round.

--T
:fez:

fairytalelover
09-19-2003, 04:45 PM
If they lived there before DL was built then they would have the right to complain. But if they moved there after DL was built then they have no right in hell to complain about "ANYTHING" having to do with DL. They obviously bought the house in that location cuz it was cheap, due to the fact that it was near DL. So you get what you pay for. Now shut the heck up, grin and bare it!! And if they don't like it then they can get the hell out.

mcampisi
09-19-2003, 04:56 PM
Dear Homeowners near Disneyland,

I would like to trade you your house for my apartment. Do not worry, you have no chance of encountering fireworks, only grafetti and loud football games from the High School across the street! All offers will be considered!

Sincerely,

Michael "I already live in LA County so how much worse can the air get" Campisi

tod
09-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by PapiBear
Yet again, a good, valid reason why the City of Anaheim should invoke eminent domain, buy the properties, then sell the land to Disney.

I mean, these people are basically complaining that they bought houses near Disneyland. As if someone put a gun to their heads and FORCED them to do that.

Why doesn't Mikey get out the ol' checkbook and start buying these houses like Disney has in the tony neighborhood just east of the Studio? (I live in Burbank; it's been an open secret for years.) They could also rent the houses to Suits and would-be Suits (the ones I call "Ties" -- not quite a Suit yet, but workin' on it) and they would never, ever complain about the fireworks.

--T
pragmatist
:fez:

stagedoorjonny
09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by mcampisi
Dear Homeowners near Disneyland,

I would like to trade you your house for my apartment. Do not worry, you have no chance of encountering fireworks, only grafetti and loud football games from the High School across the street! All offers will be considered!

Sincerely,

LOL