PDA

View Full Version : "Turkey Legs" at DCA....ewwww

Pages : [1] 2

HeavenOnEarth
12-09-2013, 12:10 PM
So my family and I went to the parks on Saturday and decided to try the Turkey legs at DCA "Across from Toy Story Midway Mania"

These things are NASTY!! Tasted like an oversalted Ham, and tasted noting like Turkey and even asked the Cast Member if indeed it was Ham. After about 10 bites (only becuase i was starving) in the trash it went. Definitly wont ge be getting that again.

BlkPearlCptn
12-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Now my family is just the opposite. We LOVE the Turkey Legs. Got hooked on them at RenFaires and get one almost every time I go to the parks. Yup, they have a more "ham" taste, which is just fine with me.

candles71
12-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I can't get past the smell. :|

carolinakid
12-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I've never tried one because they seem so messy and frankly unsightly to eat without utensils, but I think I would like them. I prefer ham to turkey anyway!

BlkPearlCptn
12-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I've never tried one because they seem so messy and frankly unsightly to eat without utensils, but I think I would like them. I prefer ham to turkey anyway!

Actually, they are fun to eat and I think that is part of the appeal. We are usually just laughing as we chow down on them. I guess we are "cavemen" when it comes to them.

DwarfPlanet
12-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Oldest DS loves them, which is not shared by the other three of us. I think they are nasty and have to agree they are over salty and ham like.

carolinakid
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I always think Henry VIII!

cstephens
12-09-2013, 02:35 PM
I can't get past the smell. :|

The weird thing is that the smell bothers me when OTHER people are eating it, but not when I'm eating it. That being said, I haven't had one in quite some time. The husband and I used to like splitting one of those and a salad.

candles71
12-09-2013, 03:38 PM
I got one off the air fresheners for a friend and it was pungent. Made his wife's purse stick for awhile.

foolishmortal
12-09-2013, 06:01 PM
this is Grr's favorite food. lol I like them too. fun to eat.

pcrazy99
12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
They taste like ham legs, but we order some everytime we go.

houseofmouse
12-09-2013, 07:54 PM
We had one in WDW and ate it while waiting for Fantasmic. It was okay. They taste like ham because of the way they are smoked. Super salty.

bennette
12-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Double the calories, fat, and salt of a Big Mac; mysterious brine plumping and squishiness; plus tendons! You can have mine. :)

Also, turkeys are a new world food. You want to go caveman, eat a couple of grubs.

MidwayManiac
12-09-2013, 08:58 PM
plus tendons! .

this. overwhelmingly this. bleh. The tendons. The grease. The fact you virtually have to eat it with your hands. The need for 4 or 5 dozen napkins, which invariably get stuck to my fingers. Did I mention the grease? Aye.
They taste alright I guess, but not worth the mess.

Escape2Disney
12-09-2013, 09:56 PM
These things have never appealed to me. The smell alone keeps me away.

cstephens
12-10-2013, 07:27 AM
this. overwhelmingly this. bleh. The tendons. The grease. The fact you virtually have to eat it with your hands.

I know tendons can wig some people out. They don't bother me. It just occurred to me that I had part of an actual turkey leg for lunch yesterday - it was the rest of a turkey leg from the turkey we had for Thanksgiving. I disagree about having to use your hands, other than to hold the bone itself, like you would with fried chicken or hot wings. The cooking of the turkey leg makes the meat tender enough that it completely comes off with a fork and knife. I don't remember it being that messy when I've had them in the past.

HeavenOnEarth
12-10-2013, 08:33 AM
I know everyone has there likes/dislikes...just saying, when I buy a Turkey leg, it would be nice if it actually tasted like Turkey..not like an over salted ham bone

olegc
12-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Pork Shank all the way instead!

TTFN92
12-10-2013, 08:51 PM
They're ok but not something we usually get. DS has gotten one a couple of times and then shared because it's huge. I like a few bites but that's it.

disneyland addict13
12-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Pork Shank all the way instead!

We had the pork shank at Gaston's Tavern in WDW last December, and they were to die for. We probably ate them for three separate meals. I've heard that they have them at Disneyland now (at Edelweiss Snacks I believe?), but I'm worried that they won't be as good as the ones in Magic Kingdom. Thoughts?

spectromen
12-11-2013, 07:46 AM
I guess I'm the opposite of most; I love the smell but would never dare eat one!

olegc
12-11-2013, 10:34 AM
We had the pork shank at Gaston's Tavern in WDW last December, and they were to die for. We probably ate them for three separate meals. I've heard that they have them at Disneyland now (at Edelweiss Snacks I believe?), but I'm worried that they won't be as good as the ones in Magic Kingdom. Thoughts?

I have not had them at WDW so I could not tell you. However, I have had one at Disneyland - AND - took one home for my boys and even reheated - Yum!. Yes, Edelweiss snacks across from the Matterhorn entrance.

BlkPearlCptn
12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Sounds like I'll have to try the pork shanks next time I'm at DL.

codewoman
12-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Put me on the one and done (without finishing it) list for the turkey legs. Not my thing.

Bacon wrapped asparagus? Love it.

shna
12-11-2013, 04:13 PM
I bought a turkey leg once -- then DD decided she was tired & asked if we could go home. Luckily I had some large ziploc bags with me -- so I took the turkey leg home and got five meals out of it (when mixed with rice). Yummy.