PDA

View Full Version : What's the most overpriced thing at Disneyland? The Mouseplanet edition.

Pages : [1] 2 3

jcruise86
12-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I read about this elsewhere, but I'd like to read what Disney's most devoted fans have to say.

I'd go with soda and the $12.95 candy canes. (If you purchase the candy canes at $12.95, would you go as high as $14.95 or $19.95? Just curious.)

Then again, post cards, Mickey Mouse ear caps and balloons must be up there too.

What do you think?

jcruise86
12-05-2013, 01:38 PM
For just $103.60 you could (if there were no sales tax) buy
Disneyland
candy canes!!!! !!!! JJJJ JJJJ
Imagine the look on your family members' and co-workers' faces when you hold up eight of them and announce that they cost about $110!

And these aren't the little kind usually put on trees! No these are thicker than standard #2 pencils! Why I'd guess that if straight they would be about 8" long!

Shortpix77
12-05-2013, 01:40 PM
FRUIT. The markup drives me crazy. I'm more okay with an overpriced treat that I can't get elsewhere (churro, beignets) or that seems more park-specific to me, but I've never been able to get on board with the fresh fruit pricing. Soda and water are still less than the movie theater, so they've never seemed as bad :-)

oregontraveler
12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
I'll admit, I bought a candy cane last year. Was it worth it, probably not. But we had just come from DCA and they were still handing out wristbands for the last batch of the day. I'll chock that up to a one time event.

My favorite comfort snack food is popcorn. Isn't a small box running $4 these days, with the plastic keepsake around $6.50 ???
That's a big profit margin.

carolinakid
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
For us it's the cost of onsite rooms and the booze. All else seems ok in comparison.

zombie pirate
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I havent had the salt water taffy in a long, long time. I wonder what it goes for now.

houseofmouse
12-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I totally agree about the fruit! Ridiculous to charge that much!

At our local ski resorts a Sobe is 4.95 and a plain nasty burger is 13.00. I don't complain too much about soda and water at the parks.
I would not pay 12.95 plus tax? For a candy cane. I don't really like them that much and besides we have Hammonds Candy here in Denver where you can get fresh handmade candy and candy canes for a heck of a lot less. :)

Malcon10t
12-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I'd go with soda I don't have a problem with the price of soda. $2.99-$3.29 compared to movies $5?

I think I have to go with fruit also.

nursechrissy32
12-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok...I have not bought one, but the decorated candy apples are like super expensive.....marshmellows, apple, sugar,caramel....and a stick....

Malcon10t
12-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Ok...I have not bought one, but the decorated candy apples are like super expensive.....marshmellows, apple, sugar,caramel....and a stick....They are expensive, but they are also labor intensive. The ingredients may not be expensive, but it takes work and time (they are layered) to make. They may not be cheap, but I do think the value is in there.

Angie2009
12-05-2013, 08:51 PM
The Pickles.

Do I win? I hope so, given that I probably buy 6 pickles / year, and every time I buy one, I think, I can get a giant jar of pickles for like $2 and I'm paying $4 for a pickle in a baggy.

But, the kids love them and they aren't expensive in the grand scheme of things - it is just the markup that is ridiculous.

currence
12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
In the same vein of amusingly ridiculous markups, Disneyland sells Legos above MSRP. Which wouldn't be so bad except Downtown Disney has a Lego store that sells them at MSRP. The last time I compared prices, I was still better off buying them at the Lego store with my 10% annual passholder discount than at Disneyland with my 20% off discount. BUT, Disneyland isn't the only store that sells Lego over MSRP. Toys R Us is probably the biggest offender in that category.

jcruise86
12-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Ok...I have not bought one, but the decorated candy apples are like super expensive.....marshmellows, apple, sugar,caramel....and a stick....
So how much are they at Disneyland? We know an excellent cook who served them fresh, but with so much sugary deliciousness that my daughter, wife and I were quite con10t to cut one up and split one. Eating caramel apples without cutting them up might make for some adorable photos of kids, but no thanks.

A talented entertainer, Broon, at the Original Renaissance Faire in Irwindale owns a family-operated stand that sells bowls of chopped apples covered with caramel and other toppings, and it's a good value, especially with the secret word discount. The word is revealed at his shows.

disneylandgirl
12-06-2013, 07:21 AM
The thing that comes to my mind is ride photos. I'm not sure how much they go for (I am one of those cell phone users who takes a pic of the pic...) but you'd think they'd just have them all e-mailed like they do on Buzz. Why charge me for my splash mountain pic when I can get my Buzz pic for free...??? Doesn't make sense to me.

Shortpix77
12-06-2013, 07:31 AM
The thing that comes to my mind is ride photos. I'm not sure how much they go for (I am one of those cell phone users who takes a pic of the pic...) but you'd think they'd just have them all e-mailed like they do on Buzz. Why charge me for my splash mountain pic when I can get my Buzz pic for free...??? Doesn't make sense to me.

At least Disneyland LETS you take a pic of the pic... we were at a Universal park recently, and there are employees, watermarks, etc. to prevent that. I do wish there was a more affordable (or free) option to email yourself or just get a digital copy of the picture though.

3Princesses1Prince
12-06-2013, 08:21 AM
At least Disneyland LETS you take a pic of the pic... we were at a Universal park recently, and there are employees, watermarks, etc. to prevent that. I do wish there was a more affordable (or free) option to email yourself or just get a digital copy of the picture though.

There is if you are getting photopass photos or character meal photos anyways.

Dave1313
12-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Of course now I can't remember which ride, but I thought I saw somewthing like a watermark across the pic on one of the rides in WDW in May.

Sea World Orlando had a big sign saying no pictures in the area where you can feed dolphins and then buy a pic of your experience.

Malcon10t
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
I will look this weekend, but there is a Attractions + option so you can get all your attraction photos for 1 price.

3Princesses1Prince
12-06-2013, 02:18 PM
I will look this weekend, but there is a Attractions + option so you can get all your attraction photos for 1 price.

That's right! I remember that too. Forget how much though.

bennette
12-06-2013, 02:44 PM
What's the most overpriced thing at Disneyland?

The contract for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, apparently. :/

candles71
12-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Universal Hollywood and our local six flags don't turn on the other monitors for the pictures anymore.

danyoung
12-07-2013, 05:46 AM
I'll be honest - I don't much look at prices while I'm on vacation, so the probably high prices at DL or WDW don't bother me at all. However, I do have to say that 400 bucks a night for a room at the GCH is WAYYYY too much!

BlkPearlCptn
12-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I'll be honest - I don't much look at prices while I'm on vacation, so the probably high prices at DL or WDW don't bother me at all. However, I do have to say that 400 bucks a night for a room at the GCH is WAYYYY too much!

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner!

CMHusband
12-07-2013, 10:42 AM
$15 bucks to leave your car in the middle of no-where is kinda pricey

3Princesses1Prince
12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
$15 bucks to leave your car in the middle of no-where is kinda pricey

Not if you've ever gone to a sporting event like a SF Giants game or 49er game.