PDA

View Full Version : DL -- Eminent Domain

hazlnut
09-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Imagine. The state of California and the Federal Government site eminent domain laws and declare Disneyland a National Landmark. Then throw the uncreative, bottom-liners off the property and appoint people who love and remember DL for what it once was to run the place--a non-profit operation like the Smithsonian, supported by tax payers and private contributions.

Maybe the reality is that in order for DL to show a profit the Dewitt T Irby's and Pressler's had to cut corners and, in doing so, take away everything that was so special about the Magic Kingdom.

Wouldn't it be nice?

But I think that's just California Dreamin'...

Cadaverous Pallor
09-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
Then throw the uncreative, bottom-liners off the property and appoint people who love and remember DL for what it once was to run the place--a non-profit operation like the Smithsonian, supported by tax payers and private contributions.I think that if this actually did happen, Disneyland would become a museum. They'd bring back the subs and the peoplemover and other such things. Space Mountain would be painted white. I'm sure many would be happy with a Tomorrowland filled with the promises of yesterday, but I wouldn't.

The state couldn't pay the huge cost of expanding this museum. It would be frozen in time. No new attractions.

Putting an idealized version of Disneyland in a glass case is too sad for me to consider.

cstephens
09-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
Imagine. The state of California and the Federal Government site eminent domain laws and declare Disneyland a National Landmark.

Yes, the state of California and the Federal Government are exactly who should be running Disneyland. :rolleyes:

Morrigoon
09-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Impossible.

If it were declared a landmark, they wouldn't be allowed to change it.... ever.

Andrew
09-16-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm sure the answers are somewhere in the Office of Historic Preservation (http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/) section of the California Department of Parks and Recreation (http://www.parks.ca.gov/) Web site. Unfortunately, the state IT department's webmeisters are either sadistic or incompetent, or likely, both, and I can't find it.

hazlnut
09-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Yes, the state of California and the Federal Government are exactly who should be running Disneyland. :rolleyes:

Am I sensing a sarcastic tone?

The National parks and monutments that I've visited have always been very well run and maintained. I think because they're run as a not-for-profit venture and by folks with a true passion for perserving something special.

Morrigoon
09-16-2003, 07:19 PM
And because the bathrooms are always so pleasant...

gliterrboy
09-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Hahahahaha.

On the same topic, I was just thinking of something VERY similar last week. What if CA did decided to take a portion of the property, to widen Harbor or expand I-5. Legally they can, right? How would that work? Would Disneyland really have to dismantle/destroy certain rides and make the park smaller? Crazy crazy thoughts, just curious.

justagrrl
09-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Nah...they'd pay the city or state to "reconsider" and then rip up the other side of the street.

hefferdude
09-17-2003, 06:50 AM
If it were declared a landmark, they wouldn't be allowed to change it.... ever.

And if this were so, then it would go against WD's vision of DL as a perpetual work in progress. :confused:

The National parks and monutments that I've visited have always been very well run and maintained. I think because they're run as a not-for-profit venture and by folks with a true passion for perserving something special.

Somewhat true but supported by a ( state ) government that insists on spending money even when $38 billion in the hole. :eek:

And remember the governments creedo -
" If it isn't broken - legislate until it is..."
(Hope that wasn't offtrack.)

merlinjones
09-17-2003, 07:17 AM
I'd rather see Disneyland as the world's most enchanting museum dedictaed to Walt Disney than see it further run down, amputated and bastardized by greed and short sighted management.

I know Walt wanted it to keep changing and thriving (and I agree in priciple), but not in this direction! After all, what at the Disney Company is being run by Walt's wishes in any way, shape or form these days? Pretty much nothing. It's time to just preserve what we can from the vultures.

However, I think Oriental Land Company might be the ideal caretakers of this park, not the government.

Sailor Butterfly
09-17-2003, 07:40 AM
*imagines a state-ran DL*

"I'm sorry Timmy, but Mickey can't give you a hug untill legislature decides on the 'character interaction' bill."

PapiBear
09-17-2003, 04:35 PM
I got a better idea.

City of Anaheim declares eminent domain on non-Disney-owned land near Disneyland (in all directions), acquires it, then sells it to Disney, permitting DLR expansion a la WDW.

Frees up lots of room to rebuild old favorites ("Yesterland", name licensed from Werner Weiss, where old favorites go; park operated by merlinjones and me :fez: ) and permit plenty of new attractions to be built in the main park.

Less concern about fireworks noise (nearest neighbors are too far away to be bothered by the sounds and/or "fallout"), too.

hefferdude
09-18-2003, 06:54 AM
I'd rather see Disneyland as the world's most enchanting museum dedictaed to Walt Disney than see it further run down, amputated and bastardized by greed and short sighted management.

WD's own words on DL;

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

And to the corporate power mongols;

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

excerpts on Walt Disney quotes taken from www.justdisney.com