PDA

View Full Version : Disney REALLY wants to be like MM or KBF..What I saw advertised on TV...

Pages : [1] 2

HBTiggerFan
09-05-2001, 05:22 PM
I cannot believe what I saw on TV today. I was watching a show on NBC this morning and I saw a commerical for Albertsons offering a coupon for $10 off admission to either Disney park with the purchase of any coke product.

Doesn't MM and KBF have similar deals with different grocery stores, or a bring a can, get in free type deal?

I guess the suits really want Disney to be like MM. :confused: :eek: :crying: :( :mad: :rolleyes:

Tink
09-05-2001, 05:25 PM
I was also surprised to see this ad in Albertson's weekly ad. It's a few days late though, I could have saved $30.00!
You're right, Vons and Ralphs also have amusement park ticket discounts.

DisneylandKid
09-05-2001, 05:49 PM
At first it sounds good, but then it does not. One of the reasons Disneyland is so superior to KBF & SFMM is because it is more expensive to get in. Not just anybody can come any time they want to!

I can't believe Disney is doing this.

Ugh.

I still love 'em, though............

Nigel2
09-05-2001, 09:08 PM
If I remember correctly they have done store promotions in the past, but I think it was for tickets if you bought a couple hundred dollars in groceries and used one of those store cards. But they were probably children's tickets, and it was probably during a big event, like the 45th or MSEP final year. But 10 bucks off does seem kinda desperate.

SimpTwister
09-05-2001, 10:07 PM
For lesser parks like Six Flags, this type of promotion is fine.

For DL and even DCA, though, it's tacky, tacky, tacky.

I guess they're still hard at work killing the golden goose.

One of these days, that goose will finally keel over, and Eisner & Co. will be slapping their foreheads, saying "Wow, how'd that happen?!".

Freakin' geniuses, all of 'em...

Darkbeer
09-05-2001, 11:40 PM
As I have stated on earlier posts, while DCA is unique, and not like KBF, SFMM or USH, they seemed to offer about the same amount of attractions and time needed to enjoy the whole park. This made them about equal in price charged. This was the biggest complaint about DCA until the SoCal summer discount.

Disneyland on the other hand has two issues, first off, nothing new in the recent past, and it is now past peak season. This is normally when they offer SoCal discounts. Reduced hours, and attractions (Many will be in rehab starting next week to get ready for the holiday season...) make the park less of a value. I'll bet the discount promos ended just before the "Holiday" season starts in earnest. Then Disneyland can charge, and with all the additional holiday improvements, makes DL worth full price. (I rode HM Labor day just so I can compare it to the Holiday makeover...)

The bigger question in my mind, will DCA try and charge full price, will the lagoon show and WWTBAM-PI! be enough to have people pay full price??? (My guess, a special multi-day holiday pass discount, only one park per day, but say $63 ($20 extra) to get one day at each park, with the passes expiring the first week in Jan, 2002)

AliKzam
09-06-2001, 11:04 AM
First, may I say to any and all of you who poo-poo this....
PBPBPBLLLLT!!!!!!
Who do you think you are, so high and mighty? How dare you say this is tacky. This is one of the best things Disneyland ever did. They did it last year, and my parents, my boyfriend and I were actually all able to go around Christmas time. All I had to do was buy $20 worth of groceries and a Coke product from September to November, and we were able to get in for $16 a piece. My parents and boyfriend helped, and all we really had to pay for after that was food and parking.
See, stuff like discounts are GOOD things. Stuff like low park maintenance, rude CMs, and closing attractions are BAD things. Disneyland already is way more expensive than it should be. The only reason it is that price is because they know people will pay it to come in. Why don't you get off your high horses and abandon your false senses of security. Disneyland is for everybody, even if it is for only one day a year (or much less).
But enough of my anger. I'll see you in December. You'll know who I am. I'll be the one who's having fun even though her Mommy and Daddy didn't pay for her season pass.

Berry Princess
09-06-2001, 11:24 AM
I'll be the one who's having fun even though her Mommy and Daddy didn't pay for her season pass.

Sorry I thought this was uncalled for. Most the people on here are adults that pay for their own annual passes. I know I paid for my AP, my husbands and my son's when he became of paying age. So my mommy and daddy didn't buy mine. Nor would they ever.

Now as for the other things said. I do agree that it isn't "tacky" of them to do. If it was "tacky" then it would be "tacky" anytime they gave ANY kind of discounts. This has been done before thru the same store. It was just done differently. If I remember right, everytime you bought a coke product you got like $5 off of your Disneyland ticket and I'm not sure what kind of limit there was on how many you could use per ticket if any. And it was for adult tickets. That wasn't the first time they did it either. This has been happening off and on now for a long time. Remember when they were giving discounts and tickets away thru McDonald's? I do cause I got a couple for free tickets and that was about 2 yrs ago. Its a way to bring locals to the park that do not have APs during the off seasons. This is only for Southern Cali residents so its basicly almost like when Disneyland themselves gives the discount too. This discount is only good until like Dec. 19 I think it said. You can only get the $10 off until Oct 16. 5 of those can be used per day. If I am wrong on this info sorry cause it was in small print on the ad. I know I told one of my friends to make sure she gets one or whatever so she can come down here to go with us and told my parents too since they want to go in Nov. I am an AP holder that finds no problem with discounts. Those that are complaining and calling it "tacky" don't you go to stores and shop for things that are discounted? If you have an AP don't you use your AP to get a discount(even thou it isn't much of one)? Its the same thing. A discount is a discount.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-06-2001, 01:16 PM
Disneylandkid, Simptwister, and the rest, I'm surprised at you! You are obviously at this board because you have a love for the magic of Disneyland, yet you mean to deny others? As a kid, it was a financial hardship for my family to go, since there were 6 of us. We went only once in a great while. As Berry pointed out, they've been doing discounts for a few years now, in different configurations. I say thank goodness! How can you say it's bad that more families will be able to afford to go? I agree with AliKzam, it's elitist thinking.

Seems that people are so mad about Eisner that no matter what he does he can be vilified for it. Vilified for bringing Disneyland to more people??? :confused:

Plus, how can you say it's tacky to charge less than $43 dollars for DCA? Would it be just as tacky to charge less than $5 for a hot dog? We're talking value, here. DCA just isn't worth what they're selling it for.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-06-2001, 01:46 PM
Actually, my own pass renewal has been my customary birthday present from my parents for all the years I've had the pass. Though my mother would probably insist on spending the same amount on something truly silly if I were paying for my own.

I remember the Albertson's promotion from last year. If I hadn't been a passholder, or if I'd been able to take somebody, I'd have used a bunch of coupons I'd been given, instead of passing them on to colleagues.

As to Knotts, let's set the way-back machine to the 1970s. Magic Mountain (before Six Flags took it over) had developed the "unlimited use" concept. Nobody else had it. Disneyland had had ticket books since 1955, Knotts had begun experimenting with the concept (but with "A" as the most expensive ticket, rather than the cheapest). As the decade progresses, and both Knotts and Disney management see how effective unlimited use is in dragging people out to Valencia, to a park that's absurdly boring unless you're a roller coaster freak, both Knotts and Disneyland begin offering "unlimited use tags." At Disneyland, the tags replace the "Deluxe 15" ticket books, then they also replace the various Magic Kingdom Club special ticket books as well.

Up until that point, Knotts was a place locals went, perhaps as often as one or two weekends a month, while Disneyland was a place where few people went more than once a year, on average. Knotts, by that time, had an ice show during the summer, but most of the park was still the modest-but-heavily-themed park Walter Knott had built to entertain the people who were waiting to dine on his wife's fried chicken. Admission was much cheaper, there was an unfenced annex across the street with a merry-go-round, a miniature train, and a sidewheel steamboat, and a large, unfenced shopping area. Typically, unless one was a "ride junkie," one could get two or three visits out of a single "Bonanza Fun" ticket book.

Then, Knotts did something really stupid. They discontinued general admission. Suddenly, you had to pay for either a "Super Bonanza" ticket book, or a "Rides Aplenty" tag, even if you were just going in for the ice show, and maybe a ride on the train and the stagecoach.

Disneyland continued selling general admission tickets up until the day in 1982 when they retired ride tickets for good. At this point, if you were only going for a short time, Disneyland became a far better deal than Knotts. We started going to DL two or three times a year, and KBF only once. Then, in 1982, when the ticket books were finally retired, Disneyland made it very clear that the old ride tickets could be used for credit on the new admission price. (Who knew how much they'd end up being worth to collectors!?!) It wasn't long after that (but well before Disneyland began to actually promote annual passes) that I first began requesting a Disneyland pass for my birthday.

So in many ways, Disneyland has been what Knotts used to be for quite some time: a place where locals can spend a weekend or two, or an evening after work, without spending a whole lot. And Knotts in turn has alienated a lot of the local crowd by trying to be a poor copy of what Disneyland used to be (and what WDW still is).

HBTiggerFan
09-06-2001, 04:22 PM
I want to apologize first. I am the one who created this thread. By no means did I mean for it to sound that only people who can pay full price should be able to go to Disneyland. What really got me was the commerical. It was done in a way that was like Knotts and MM. I am all for discounts and I am an avid coupon shopper and take any discount I can get. (I brought a $90 bill down to $39 on groceries last week).

But I must say, that the comment about mommy and daddy buying anual passes was way out of line. I am an adult, and I bought my own anual pass, along with upgrading it. Thank you very much.

SimpTwister
09-06-2001, 05:00 PM
Points taken, but I certainly didn't mean to imply that DL should be exclusive, that everyone should have to pay full price, etc.

Maybe it's the simple fact that fairs, carnivals, and lame parks like Great America are usually associated with this type of promotion that makes me think DL shouldn't be doing it.

It all may just be some arcane aesthetic ideal that exists only in my mind...

Morrigoon
09-06-2001, 05:37 PM
AliKzam:

Sorry, but I too have to object to your mommy and daddy comment. I have had an annual pass since I was 16 years old, and my parents have NEVER paid for it. Quite the opposite, they thought it was a waste of money and tried to talk me OUT of buying my first pass. They would no more have paid for that pass than they would send me to ice hockey classes (another thing I used my hard-earned dough for).

As a low income earner I understand your animosity for so-called spoiled APs but the truth is, a great many of us make major financial sacrifices in order to be able to afford our passes.

The argument here, is that there are many classier ways to offer a discount program than through the local supermarket. However, on your side, I think there are few better ways to reach such a large audience. But please note, we don't complain when DL offers the regular SoCal discount, and that excludes no more people than the current program being offered. In fact, since it required no prior purchase, it was even more inclusive.

I for one would like to see Disney offer a discount program where there was perhaps only $3 off the admission price, but also included a meal voucher at TLT, Hungry Bear, Stage Door, or Village Haus. And since they'd get a coke product in the bargain, they could offer it in conjunction with Coke products.

SimpTwister
09-06-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
The argument here, is that there are many classier ways to offer a discount program than through the local supermarket

Exactly. That's what I was getting at.

Looking back, I suppose my first post in this thread could have been taken as snobby or elitist. I'm not against discounting or promotions, it just seems that this particular *type* of promotion doesn't fit the Disney image.

AliKzam
09-06-2001, 06:25 PM
Okay, okay, I give! I'm sorry I posted that last remark. It was rude and unnecessary. I just got angry. I took it the wrong way. I did not mean to offend (well, yes I did-- but only because I'm childish).
There are a lot of things that Mr. Eisner needs to fix. He needs create an equal ying and yang between business and show within the company. He needs to stop draining the parks of their money to compensate for bad movies and bad business moves. And he needs to stop embezzling money legally.
But one thing that shouldn't be stopped are discounts to Disneyland. Remember Disneyland for $20? Those were the days. Maybe there is a classier way of giving discounts, but if they really want me to spend more money by shopping at Albertson's than I would at Ralph's or other place (a whole other chatroom thread), then so be it. My family and I are going to Disneyland!
Once again, I'm sorry.

ralfrick
09-06-2001, 07:30 PM
"As to Knotts, let's set the way-back machine to the 1970s. Magic Mountain (before Six Flags took it over) had developed the "unlimited use" concept. Nobody else had it."

Maybe not in California, but Six Flags over Georgia had it in the 60's. Back when there were only 3 Six Flags parks. And they were actually sorta themed (I know, I know, sounds crazy don't it).

The "6 flags" in Georgia were U.S., Spanish, British, French, Confederate and the Georgia state flag, and there were 6 themed areas. These were all flags that had flown over Georgia at one time.

That's todays useless triva moment, carry on.

Morrigoon
09-06-2001, 08:57 PM
I thought Six Flags over Texas was first?

Bearing the six flags that have flown over Texas

Wackokid
09-06-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
At first it sounds good, but then it does not. One of the reasons Disneyland is so superior to KBF & SFMM is because it is more expensive to get in. Not just anybody can come any time they want to!
why is it better just because its more expensive?

marron-cream
09-07-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Wackokid

why is it better just because its more expensive?

Because you appreciate it more. Since it's expensive, not everyone can just up and announce they're going to Disneyland for the day. I remember when I was younger, going to Disneyland was an EVENT. And I only live 10 minutes away! Magic Mountain and Knott's were nice, but not special occasions.

Ideally, all of the above would make people more likely to show the place some respect. I.E., not make the lagoon their personal trash bin, not spit on the ground, show some common courtesy (how 'bout an apology??) and REMORSE when they carelessly cause their extra large fruit punch to spill all over a display of pastel colored hats.

Ozymandius
09-07-2001, 11:16 AM
I tend to think that some are only complaining about the discounts, because of an ideal that Disney is above giving discounts and doesn't need to because they are the best, I have that view too. To them and myself, I simply and delicately put from a business standpoint:

1) Disney is not going to lower the general ticket prices--ever. Therefore in a sumping economy, a corporation must do what it can to ensure its survival. Look at the prices of computers--dropped to record low prices, due to the economy. A discount on ticket prices is what they need to do to make sure that they remain profitable to their shareholders--and ticket prices never were meant to generate profit, just operating money to keep the attractions and shops running and staffed--merchandising and foods are where the profits are made. Getting bodies through the gate to where the profits are made is paramount.

2) Disney is up against much, much more competition than it used to be. Universal, Busch, Six Flags, and the many regional amuesment parks are seeing alot more business because people as a whole don't have as much money to travel as they used to because of the economy. So they stay home and go to local amuesments. That coupled with the fact that where Disney is cutting back/corners while others are spending through the nose to increase the guest experience. It doesn't take long for the other companies to catch up in that type of environment. We like to think that Knott's, MM, and USH are Disneyland's only competition. They are not, they have to compete nationally against other regional parks and against themselves (e.g. WDW). Discounts make it more appealing to a larger audience who might otherwise not go. (See #1)

3) Although, I hold Disney as the Ideal, they have not been batting a thousand latley. I think that they are beginning to see that, but the only thing that the managers, who think in the short term (fiscal year), can think of is discount. They seem to have forgotten that if you build it they will come as Disney Seas has shown to be true (Japan's economy is worse than ours right now).

4) Soon, I belive that Disney will snap out if the funk that they are in and return to the old ideals that made them the great company they are today. It just takes a near-catastrophe for them to act. Look at the company right before Eisner, they were about to go under, and that shook them up, it will again.

Love that 'land

Ozy

Cadaverous Pallor
09-07-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream
Ideally, all of the above would make people more likely to show the place some respect. I.E., not make the lagoon their personal trash bin, not spit on the ground, show some common courtesy (how 'bout an apology??) and REMORSE when they carelessly cause their extra large fruit punch to spill all over a display of pastel colored hats.
This just isn't true. In my experience, the more people pay, the more they feel the park "owes" them. They'll drop trash and say something like "let them pick it up, they can afford it." There's a related trend in guest rudeness, where people think that they should be treated better than others because it cost them a lot to get in (as if others didn't pay as much, whatever, I didn't say these things make sense). You're right about the IDEAL reaction to a high ticket price, but these are the true-life reactions. People that cut in lines often say something like "I paid good money to be here and I don't have time to stand in all these lines!"

Morrigoon is right, the original Six Flags was Six Flags over Texas, because of the Six Flags that had flown there at one point or another in Texas' history.
http://www.sixflags.com/investors/history.html
Sorry ralfrick!

BTW, to everyone commenting on "this type of promotion doesn't fit the Disney image"....back in 1983 the Disney staff of oldsters thought that letting the classic animated features be released on video was against the Disney image. Eisner disagreed, and that's why you can watch Pinocchio anytime you want. It's also a big part of the reason why Disney didn't go bankrupt in the 80's. Discounts on admission are another of these good ideas that make money for the company but supposedly challenge the "Disney image". Ozy's right, discounts get people in so that they can spend dough on food and merchandise. That's why there are never any "get a free lunch in Disneyland" coupons. What is the difference between getting a $10 off coupon at Albertsons or getting $10 off at the gate because you're a SoCal citizen? It's the same thing. What's not classy about supermarkets? You guys shop for food, right? Would you rather they gave out their discounts at upscale expensive establishments? If Bloomingdales gave out the discounts, would that be classy? I'll tell you one thing - it'd be stupid, because the people that shop there don't need coupons to get in to theme parks.

Please don't insult Alberson's shoppers. Heck, I wouldn't care if they gave them out at Salvation Army Thrift Stores - it'd be a service to the poorer of our populous.

ralfrick
09-07-2001, 03:52 PM
"Morrigoon is right, the original Six Flags was Six Flags over Texas, because of the Six Flags that had flown there at one point or another in Texas' history.
http://www.sixflags.com/investors/history.html
Sorry ralfrick! "

Never claimed the one in Georgia was the first Six Flags park, just that they had an unlimited ride ticket in the 60's. On my first visit, around 1965-66, there were 3 Six Flags parks, Texas, Georgia, and Mid-America in St. Louis. Until now I never knew which was first, but I assume the one in St. Louis was also based on 6 flags flying over that state as well.

SoCalMan
09-07-2001, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SimpTwister
For lesser parks like Six Flags, this type of promotion is fine.

For DL and even DCA, though, it's tacky, tacky, tacky.

Lest we forget that this was a VERY common promotion back in the 80's, where you could purchase discounted tickets through local supermarket chains, usually with purchases of $100 or more.

So Disney, Coca-Cola, and Albertsons decided to use a coupon on this promotion. They probably figured out that it was more efficient.

SoCalMan

Wackokid
09-08-2001, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream

Because you appreciate it more. Since it's expensive, not everyone can just up and announce they're going to Disneyland for the day. I remember when I was younger, going to Disneyland was an EVENT. And I only live 10 minutes away! Magic Mountain and Knott's were nice, but not special occasions.

I remember when I was younger, going to Disneyland was an EVENT. And I only live 10 minutes away! Magic Mountain and Knott's were nice, but not special occasions.
yeah, but is that because it's Disneyland, or because it's overpriced? Would you not be as enthusiastic about it if it costed $30?

well i remember when i was younger, going anywhere was an event. the parks around here suck (Belmont Park and Legoland)
i didn't care whether i was going to Knott's, MM, or Disneyland, i was equally excited about any of them
and when i go to disneyland and find out i have to pay $50, it just makes lots of people think they're being ripped off and like that other guy said, people think the parks "owe" them something because they are so expensive

SimpTwister
09-08-2001, 10:20 PM
Let me jump in here one more time:

I stand by my statements that it seems a bit 'un-Disney' somehow to offer discounts through grocery stores, but I for one definitely overreacted earlier.

It's just not that big a deal.

Note to self: Choose your battles.