PDA

View Full Version : Aquatopia in the Sub Lagoon?

jerhow
09-15-2003, 01:38 PM
Has anyone besides myself ever thought that the sub lagoon would be a perfect location for them to install a version of the aquatopia attraction from DisneySea?

But a modified version incorporating the tunnels that the subs would normally enter could make for an interesting and perhaps thrilling dark ride experience.

Any thoughts other than the usual, "Disney won't do this because it costs too much money" response?

BrerFox
09-15-2003, 01:44 PM
What exactly is an aquatopia?:confused:

Is it like autopia.......but with water?:geek:

So, so very confused.

efoxx
09-15-2003, 02:19 PM
if it is the ride I am thinking you mean then it won't work.
first of all most people who have ridden aquatopia claim that it is really boring. you have no control of the cars, they don't move that fast, and after the first "near miss" with the fountains you figure out that it is a dry ride.

but the ride requires very shallow water, just a few inchs deep. the cars don't float, but rather roll on the floor of the ride. they are also guided by laser beams that must be able to "see" the cars.

I would imagine that the cost of retrofitting the lagoon for that would be more expensive then bringing back the subs.

mousketeer
09-15-2003, 03:05 PM
I brought this up a while ago. It would be a cheap, likeable, much-needed D-ticket.

cemeinke
09-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Or you could just bring back the Motor Boat Cruise and leave the Sub Lagoon for something else.

sleepyjeff
09-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Or you could just bring back the Motor Boat Cruise and leave the Sub Lagoon for something else.

Put Aquatopia in where the Motor Boat Cruise used to be. Bring back the Subs with a Futuristic Sea Base type layover.

Just one man's wishes:)

Tigertail777
09-16-2003, 03:51 AM
I second that Jeff. I found motorboat cruise pretty darn boring, first of all it doesnt have any kind of interactivity, or intersting movement (aquatopia has the latter at least) it also didnt have much to see on the boats. You figured out pretty fast that the boats were on a guideline and it really didnt matter if you steered or not.
Aquatopia could be a really fun change, and to add to its interactivity you could put a wheel in it that you can turn to turn the car as you go like the teacups (and I think roger?) and have more water jets around where you are trying to turn the car towards the other persons side to get THEM wet not YOU. LOL. This would be especially fun on a hot day. Also have a few tunnels/caves that you go through.
Not terribly futuristic, but then the motorboat cruises never were either. Still it would be loads of fun, I would ride it again and again.
And I am all for bringing back some new version of the subs thats more futuristic (as long as its not just a simulator movie ride). I loved the subs, it was definately in my top five fave rides.

CaliforniaAdventurer
09-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I second that Jeff. I found motorboat cruise pretty darn boring, first of all it doesnt have any kind of interactivity, or intersting movement (aquatopia has the latter at least) it also didnt have much to see on the boats. You figured out pretty fast that the boats were on a guideline and it really didnt matter if you steered or not. "

Well why not drain the Motor Boat Cruise and install Alice's Labyrinth (the hedge maze) from Disneyland Paris ? ? ? You could fly over it in th monorail or walk through it on the way to Small World, making that boring stretch a little more exciting to explore?

[Mod. note: vBcode fixed around quoted material. -- Andrew]

CaliforniaAdventurer
09-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by efoxx

I would imagine that the cost of retrofitting the lagoon for that would be more expensive then bringing back the subs.

Does anyone else thing there is potential for Disney to add ALIEN ENCOUNTER to Disneyland or else incorporate DINOSAUR, THE LAND or THE LIVING SEAS to Disney's California Adventure.

They could also add Armageddon FX Show from Paris to DCA in the Hollywood section of the park to give DCA a thrilling show that can't be missed (besides Alladin, which I've skipped since the fatality occurred there earlier this year.)

Disney has already imagineered several attractions such as Buzz Lightyear that would fit nicely in either of Disney's SoCal parks.

Both parks need continued additions every year or two to keep the crowds coming back and to draw people back from through out the West coast.

jerhow
09-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
Does anyone else thing there is potential for Disney to add ALIEN ENCOUNTER to Disneyland or else incorporate DINOSAUR, THE LAND or THE LIVING SEAS to Disney's California Adventure.

They could also add Armageddon FX Show from Paris to DCA in the Hollywood section of the park to give DCA a thrilling show that can't be missed

I always felt Alien Encounter should have been placed in the building where Innoventions is. What a great experience that attraction was! What a tragedy that they are going to Stichify it to make it more family friendly.

I hear Armageddon is a big disappointment. And I'm also not a big fan of yet another "show" at the park. If they build another theater-style attraction at that park, I don't know what I'll do! OK maybe if they rip out Muppets, A Bug's Life, Whoopi Goldberg, Tortilla Extravaganza, and Soarin' (yes I consider Soarin' a passive theater experience), then you could add another "show."

But here's a concept. And brace yourself for this - I know it's a hard concept to grasp. But how about a ride where (gasp) you actually move! Now that would be amazing.

Why did I suddenly have a vision of myself sitting in a giant spinning tortilla in 2006?

sleepyjeff
09-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by jerhow

But here's a concept. And brace yourself for this - I know it's a hard concept to grasp. But how about a ride where (gasp) you actually move!

Movement...in Tomorrowland! .......why is'nt that against some decree from the powers that be. Peoplemover moved; gone. Skyway moved; gone. Submarine Voyage moved; gone. Motor Boats(I know it was officially a FL ride) moved; gone. Rocket Jets moved; pushed to the very edge. Space Mt. moved; "closed". Monorail moves........but for how long. Autopia moves..........but for how long.

This used to be the land of kinetic energy.......Now it is:crying:

efoxx
09-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by jerhow

But here's a concept. And brace yourself for this - I know it's a hard concept to grasp. But how about a ride where (gasp) you actually move! Now that would be amazing.

RIDE, MOVEMENT!!:eek: can you imagine the law suits. no good ever came out of a ride that moves.

alien encounter would have gone in where the old mission to mars/moon was. so thats out. but buzz in the old circlevison would work.

from what i understand there is some serious issues about the stability of the land around the sub lagoon. so no matter what they do it will probably require leaving at least part of that body of water there. besides it is really such a classic scenic spot with the monorails running over the lagoon. here is an idea. keep the lagoon just as it is, but use the sub building for a new indoor E ticket attraction. tie it in with both tomorowland and an underwater/ground expierence. an idea that come to mind would be a version of Journey to the center of the earth from TDS.
the line area would actually start outside where the sub boarding area is, and would shortly before boarding disappearing behind one of the waterfalls.

I would also like to see a version of mission space put in the old COP building