PDA

View Full Version : Winter World of Color AP Preview

Pages : [1] 2

Nikara
11-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Here's the link with info in case anyone missed it: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/offers-discounts/world-of-color-winter-dreams-for-passholders/?CMP=EMC-DLRUSENFY14Q1WOCwinterdreams20130003

Anyone planning on going to this? I'm hoping to go next week on a weekday, but I'm hoping to hear how it goes this weekend. If anyone decides to attend, please tell us how crowded the distribution process is and where the viewing location winds up being! So excited to get a new show :fez:

Pammer
11-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Oh cool - I will be there the first week of December!

However, I wonder what they mean by "Annual Passholder Viewing Area"...will it be more limited than the usual viewing area? I like to stand on the bridge (which is the blue section) but wonder if that won't be available for these special showings.

I also wonder if this is a one-time only event for each AP or can you take in shows on multiple nights (if tickets are still available)?

olegc
11-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Oh cool - I will be there the first week of December!

However, I wonder what they mean by "Annual Passholder Viewing Area"...will it be more limited than the usual viewing area? I like to stand on the bridge (which is the blue section) but wonder if that won't be available for these special showings.

I also wonder if this is a one-time only event for each AP or can you take in shows on multiple nights (if tickets are still available)?

I believe if you sign up as an AP viewer you will be directed to a specific viewing area, you won't be able to just go anywhere.

IMHO the way the instructions are written you can go multiple nights (I did not read any exclusions).

cstephens
11-13-2013, 10:26 AM

The following language would indicate to me that an AP can attend as many of the event days as they'd like.

•One ornament and one event Disney FASTPASS ticket for each registered Passholder on each event day will be distributed at the Grizzly River Run Disney FASTPASS location, while supplies last.

Pammer
11-13-2013, 10:39 AM
I believe if you sign up as an AP viewer you will be directed to a specific viewing area, you won't be able to just go anywhere. True, but since they term it a 'special viewing' I thought that meant that only APs would be allowed into the viewing area for that show (e.g. at 7pm, when the regular show would be held afterwards at 8:15pm). For example, I thought they might limit the area to the current 'premium' or 'blue' sections only.

IMHO the way the instructions are written you can go multiple nights (I did not read any exclusions).

The following language would indicate to me that an AP can attend as many of the event days as they'd like.

Thanks...that's what I thought as well but wasn't sure if it would be like it was for AP early entry last year (only once per park per AP).

olegc
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
True, but since they term it a 'special viewing' I thought that meant that only APs would be allowed into the viewing area for that show (e.g. at 7pm, when the regular show would be held afterwards at 8:15pm). For example, I thought they might limit the area to the current 'premium' or 'blue' sections only.

Well, looks like you may be right. On the AP event page it does say 7pm for days where DCA closes at 8, and the Disney parks website lists the WoC time as 815 on those night (9pm for APs and 1015 for day guests on late nights). It just seemed backwards to me - that the special event is held prior to the regular. Hmmmm

Pammer
11-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Well, looks like you may be right. On the AP event page it does say 7pm for days where DCA closes at 8, and the Disney parks website lists the WoC time as 815 on those night (9pm for APs and 1015 for day guests on late nights). It just seemed backwards to me - that the special event is held prior to the regular. Hmmmm Strange - yes! I'm guessing the non-AP guests will be walking past wondering why there is a show not in the times guide, but maybe that will spark them to see the later show (if FPs are still available then)?

cstephens
11-17-2013, 12:44 AM
I went to pick up the Fastpass and ornament today. DCA opened at 9am and I got there around 9:30. They had this sign just inside the front gates (http://twitpic.com/dlitxi) to tell people about the promotion. The line was down to about where the Minnie Fly Girls show is. I asked about the ornament, since it said there was a limited supply, and the CM said that if you get a Fastpass, you got an ornament. I joined the line and we moved up towards the Grizzly River Run Fastpass machines. About half the machines were being used for the AP distribution, and the other half seemed to be used for regular World of Color distribution, so I don't know if any of the machines were actually giving out Grizzly River Run Fastpasses. The CMs were announcing that our line was only for APs, and they were directing others to go up to the regular machines, and there were signs saying those were handing out Fastpasses for the 10:15 show.

As we got closer, the CM asked us to have our APs out. We went through the line, and there were about 5 machines in use, but only 2 or 3 of them were staffed by CMs. I ended up going to a machine that wasn't staffed, so I put my AP in and out came the Fastpass ticket (http://twitpic.com/dliw6c). Then the line continued to ornament distribution, and you just had to show your Fastpass to get the ornament. So, during the entire process, I never had to show my AP to anyone, so that was kind of weird. I guess they're just taking it for granted that if you don't have an AP, you wouldn't get in that line.

As you can see, the Fastpass says it's for the Blue section, but I don't know where that is, and I didn't really pay attention to the CMs telling some people where the section was, since I wasn't actually going to see the show - I just wanted the ornament. This is one side of the ornament (http://twitpic.com/dliwb1) and this is the other side (http://twitpic.com/dliwce). Nothing spectacular, but it's cool.

Based on the tweets from the DCA Twitter feed, it sounds like they ran out of Fastpasses around 2pm, I think.

abkb76
11-17-2013, 12:30 PM
I wish that Disney had sent an e-mail about this...

olegc
11-17-2013, 12:36 PM

that's happening less, if not at all. Twitter, facebook, and items on the weekly posting by Mouseplanet and others is where you are more likely to get timely information these days. I think they have abandoned email as far as seasonal announcements.

Pammer
11-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Mucho thanks for the info, cstephens! :D

currence
11-17-2013, 06:27 PM

I got an email that I mistook for spam until a friend of mine forwarded it to me asking if i was interested.

I agree that generally Mouseplanet is a more reliable source of news.

Nikara
11-17-2013, 06:33 PM
I got an email too! So it looks like they give you the normal viewing locations, just at a special time. I'm now debating between this and using my Glow with the Show Ears to get into this spot: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/11/enjoy-world-of-color-winter-dreams-at-disney-california-adventure-park-with-limited-time-magic/ I'm curious now about which view will be better. Planning on attending Thursday.

abkb76
11-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm a regular twitter/fb user and think e-mails for such events are still better.
I received the AP e-mail that is sent monthly, but an additional one would have been nice as well.

ThatCrazyRedhead
11-18-2013, 07:49 AM
I got an email, and Hubs and I are planning on doing this when we're there in two weeks. Thanks for the info, cstephens!

Wildwill
11-18-2013, 03:18 PM
We tried to go to this on Saturday. We got our fast passes first thing in AM (I read that they didn't run out until shortly after Noon) and got our free ornaments (very basic, plastic ball with "Winter World of Color" logo on one side and "Frozen" logo on the other, nice but nothing special). Came back to the FP area before the 8 pm return time for the 9 pm show and it was CATTLE CAR CITY. THere's no actual seating, it's all standing room only and you are herded (no joke) behind ropes until the show started. Needless to stay we bailed because at 42 years old I'm not standing in line for an hour in squashed conditions for a 45 minute show which you have to stand up through the entire time.

We'll go for the Carthay Circle dining option should we decide to see the show. Shows aren't our big thing anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

As usual though, information from Disney was not very forthcoming. The FPs are at Grizzly River Rapids and the "Blue" and "Yellow" viewing areas are over by Paradise Pier.

cstephens
11-18-2013, 04:09 PM
THere's no actual seating, it's all standing room only and you are herded (no joke) behind ropes until the show started. Needless to stay we bailed because at 42 years old I'm not standing in line for an hour in squashed conditions for a 45 minute show which you have to stand up through the entire time.

We'll go for the Carthay Circle dining option should we decide to see the show. Shows aren't our big thing anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Wow, you make 42 years old sound so ancient.

Were you not aware that there's no seating to watch World of Color, that it's all standing? You'll also get standing space if you do the Carthay Circle dining option.

I'm confused about your blue and yellow section comment. Given that the show is in the Paradise Pier lagoon, of course the viewing area would be there. Where would you expect it to be?

olegc
11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
@wildwill - World of Color has always been standing only - even before Winter Dreams. And Blue and Yellow are areas of the park where you stand (in front of the lagoon). It used to be designated by ball lights on top of 10 ft poles - but I'm not sure if they still do that.

I'm 51, overweight, and I stand because I want to see the show. But I knew that going in so I made the effort to see it.

Sailorjedi
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I was there on Saturday, November 16th (2nd day). The line was huge at 9 am (got inside and was stopped right outside Starbucks with the crowd). It took 20 minutes to get through but we got our ornament.

At 11:30 a.m., after watching the AP DVC presentation at DTD, went back to DCA and saw they still had ornaments but were now giving away yellow section. I walked through the FP line, mainly so I could see what color FPs were being given out. There were 2 people running 20 APs through so at that time, when there wasn't a big crowd, it looks like they let a couple people do the whole group's APs/ornaments.

Nikara
11-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Got a blue fast pass at around 1040. Separate lines and machines for AP and regular, and you had to show your pass to get in the AP line. According to a CM (so take this with a grain of salt) they will have a place for the Glow with the Show hats at both showings. According to the twitter account, there is no special dining seating for the AP show which should lead to better viewing areas. Hasn't rained since I arrived but I doubt that will last!

Nikara
11-21-2013, 05:13 PM
It's ten minutes after the sections opened and there is still tons of railing spots. They do have a section for ears but it's worse than the one I got without them. The blue section gets to sit where reserved dining sits.

ilovehymn
11-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Went to see the show on Tuesday with my mom, son and a friend of my sons. Mom and I got our FP at 11am in the blue section
and my son met us around 3pm and his passes were in yellow. One of the CM's traded their yellow for blue so they could watch
with us. No problem finding a place right up front 45 min. before the show. Be prepared to get heavily misted (worth it)!
I am 57 and my mom is 81 and we enjoyed visiting with the kids and others around us. The internet choir (I forgot to send mine in)
at the beginning is beautiful. Very festive all around...dont' miss it! Merry Christmas...heading to WDW on the 3rd of December!

Nikara
11-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Final report- I really enjoyed the show, as did everyone around me. The new Mickey's Fun Wheel game was up and running, and I'm impressed with the speed of people's phone tapping! It was a fun group to watch the show with, since it was full of Disney geeks who were all very excited. Based on audience reaction, and the number of little girls clutching Frozen merchandise, I suspect that Frozen will be a hit! By the way, the main benefit of the AP screening is that the area usually reserved for people with the dining package is open, so you can get the best seats in the house! For the 7pm showing I attended, no one lined up before 5:45.

Pammer
11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Nikara...was the bridge also open for viewing?

Nikara
11-22-2013, 05:02 PM
I wasn't completely sure, but it looked to me like they didn't even rope that area off, so you could stand there without a tickets. That may have been a just last night thing though, because the parks were generally quite empty.