PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain Golden Horseshoe

Pages : [1] 2

miss bianca
09-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Okay I'll admit it - I've been to the park numerous time but have never stepped foot in The Golden Horseshoe.
So we are planning to finally see Billy Hill this Thursday and here's my questions

1) do you sign up to reserve your seats or is it first come-first serve? (if you sign up - how far in advance)

2) Do they serve food inside the Show? (if so what types?)

Thanks
:)

disNeytEen
09-14-2003, 02:25 PM
It's like a normal restraount, only it plays a show. You walk in about 30 minutes before the show (no reservation needed) have one of your party find seats then the others go get in line to get lunch, they have a burger, chilli dog, normal dog, and a couple of other things. Then when you get your food you go seat down and soon the show will go on. They serve food through out the show and you can see the show wherever you sit. It's funny and a nice show. You can sit up or down stairs. When the show is over though they stop serving food.

CarlieB
09-14-2003, 02:29 PM
I love going to see Billy Hill & the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe! It's one of my favourite things to do at DL:)

Sitting upstairs at the front is really cool - you get a great view of the whole theatre. Foodwise, it's pretty much burgers and fries, I think (but they're yummy burgers and fries:) )

Bruce Bergman
09-14-2003, 02:52 PM
You just line up outside maybe 15 to 30 minutes before the times on the map or by the door. Closest to front of line gets their choice of seating, whether it's down front, the middle, upstairs, or one of the boxes - but the hall is small enough that you can see everything just fine, even from the nosebleed seats upstairs in the back.

After they allow everyone in to get seated, they give you another half-hour or so to order lunch or snacks at the bar, and get a good start on it. They don't close the door to stragglers unless the hall is full or when the show is about ready to begin.

Be prepared to laugh until you hurt. And sing along. If you sit in the boxes or the first few rows, expect it's possible to attract a liitle of the Billies' <ahem> :D personal attention. And if you are so blessed, no matter how outrageous they might get it's not personal. :fez: BT, DT, more than once... :p

Same basic stuff served inside as at the Stage Door Cafe outside (same kitchen for both) - Burgers, fries, beverages, desserts.

Official: http://www.billyandthehillbillies.com/
Unofficial (Go run up Dennis and Lisa's hit counters): http://members.tripod.com/~wb6uce/area51.html
http://www.ladydisneyland.com/pictures.html

--<< Bruce >>--

adriennek
09-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by miss bianca
2) Do they serve food inside the Show? (if so what types?)

First of all, there is no obligation to buy food at the show. It's optional.

The unique thing about GH food is the chili. Chili-burgers, chili-dogs, chili-fries.

This may have changed and I'm sure someone will tell you if it has, but awhile ago, that was the only place you could get chili fries. You couldn't even get them at the stagedoor cafe even though they share the same kitchen... :rolleyes:

I liked the chili fries and I adore Billy Hill (he makes my heart go pitter-pat, especially when Elvis Billy sings "Surry with the Fringe on Top." :swooooon: ) So I like going and eating chili fries. But I share with others- can't finish my own!

Adrienne

Disneyphile
09-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by miss bianca
So we are planning to finally see Billy Hill this Thursday and here's my questions
Agh! I read that a little too quickly and thought she said "Benny Hill"! And then I thought that wouldn't be so bad, because they could bring back the can-can dancers, and have them being chased by cowboys, but then I remembered that would never happen, since AA's can't even chase each other anymore in POTC, so I reread the sentence more carefully...... :D

Anyway, the GH is really nice! Although it's not the old classic show anymore, it's still really good. And, when I went in there a few weeks ago, it was completely quiet, with no wait to get a burger. :)

Have fun!

Cadaverous Pallor
09-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies is a fun show that I recommend to everyone - it's not just for kids, not just for adults. Don't forget that it's airconditioned! :D

This time of year there's going to be less of a need to get there early. I think 15 min before the time listed is plenty.

disNeytEen
09-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Oh and make sure to try their gigantic brownies ummmm!:p

miss bianca
09-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Thank you all so much!!!

mcampisi
09-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Having never been inside myself, I'm curious as to what the entertainment is. I have heard the Billy Hill recordings both old and new, but is it also like Can-Can dancers and comedy or what?

Ghoulish Delight
09-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mcampisi
Having never been inside myself, I'm curious as to what the entertainment is. I have heard the Billy Hill recordings both old and new, but is it also like Can-Can dancers and comedy or what? Billy Hll and the Hillbillies do about a 20 minute music/comedy revue. Just the 4 of them and their instruments (and props and false teeth). Very entertaining.

Tref
09-15-2003, 02:19 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Disney should do a Billy Hill and the Hillbillies film. Those four guys work together better then any team since The Marx Bros. I love 'em.
g.

adriennek
09-15-2003, 02:50 PM
"does it really have a team of snow white hor-ses?"

Elvis Billy: "Ones like snow.... the other's more like....... mil-kh"

:SWOOOOON:

Adrienne

MammaSilva
09-15-2003, 02:51 PM
My all time fav Billy Hill skit.... PUDDLE PRANCE!!

Morrigoon
09-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Was there Sunday.

2 new Billies, new show. Go see.

disNeytEen
09-15-2003, 03:55 PM
Is the older Billy still there

Morrigoon
09-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Old Billy sings
Elvis Billy is still leading

Didn't recognize the two new Billies. It's my understanding that they guys they replaced took a month off, meanwhile a new show was created, so when they come back, my guess is they will have to decide to go with the new show or just go. At least, that's what I heard from a GH CM.

Bruce Bergman
09-15-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Old Billy sings
Elvis Billy is still leading

Didn't recognize the two new Billies. It's my understanding that they guys they replaced took a month off, meanwhile a new show was created, so when they come back, my guess is they will have to decide to go with the new show or just go. At least, that's what I heard from a GH CM.

Somebody was talking out of turn about the show being changed - the Billies are playing in a "split squad", with two regulars and a few subs at the Disneyland shows, and the rest of the regular Billies (and a few more of the subs) are up performing at the Washington State Fair in Puyallup through the 21st, according to LadyDisneyland's Billies Page (http://www.ladydisneyland.com/pictures.html) which has all the details - and if what you want to know isn't there, follow the links.

They do this whenever they have outside shows scheduled that conflict with the Disneyland shows, and the "A Team" (Kirk, John, Dennis and Evan) will be back 'In the Shoe' towards the end of the month. Nothing too unusual (except to find out who the subs are, and how they change the program for their various instruments and playing strengths). :fez:

--<< Bruce >>--

Sailor Butterfly
09-16-2003, 06:14 AM
I love these guys! :D They crack me up everytime.

dingdong2U
09-16-2003, 12:29 PM
For good food at the Golden Horseshoe...

One Word: CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!

Oh, wait a minute, that's two words... ;-)

Anyway, the slice of chocolate cake they give you is humongous and usually requires at least two, maybe three people to finish...

Tuesdays and Wednesdays the Golden Horseshoe features the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show starring Dana Daniels and Hal Ratliff.

Enjoy the show when you go... (hey, that rhymes!) ;-)

--- Mike

spectromen
09-17-2003, 07:38 AM
Billy Hill & The Hillbillies are very entertaining and I recommend it to anyone who is curious about the Golden Horseshoe.
However, if you're at the park on a Tues/Wed, make sure to see the other show, the Golden Horseshoe Variety Show. This one's great too, and totally different than the Hillbillies.
Of course, neither one is as grand as the original Golden Horseshoe Revue, but these are both cheaper (smaller casts) so we can all figure out why it's changed. Still worthwhile, though. Interesting note - if you watch the Variety Show, one of the backdrops is from the G.H. Revue show! You will notice it right away because it depicts many past DL attractions that are no longer open. Enjoy!

The Photographer
09-17-2003, 06:16 PM
First, thanks to everyone who posted links. I finally learned all the Billies real names. Second, I LOVE both shows. I take all my friends to them and if it's their first time in the park with me, I plan ahead so we can enjoy lunch there as well.

I've sat upstairs, downstairs and on the sides. It was with much honor that I took the necessary photo of Billy with the bow up his nose so he could make comments. :D I fell over laughing.

The Variety Show is great too. Dana Daniels reminds me of Steve Martin and I swear the pianist recognizes me I've been there so much.

In short, go, see both shows if you're there long enough. :)

My fave: Billies' rendition of Night Fever.

junglejoy
09-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Did anyone go to the Golden Horseshoe when Woody's Round-up was featured? We went three times one trip because the kids loved it (we really liked it too). We returned to DL three months later and it was gone... We were all so sad. I'm glad to hear something fun is there. I haven't had the desire to return since Round-Up left but next trip I'll give it a go!

Bruce Bergman
09-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by The Photographer
First, thanks to everyone who posted links. I finally learned all the Billies real names. Second, I LOVE both shows. I take all my friends to them and if it's their first time in the park with me, I plan ahead so we can enjoy lunch there as well.
<Snipped by Bruce>

Now you do know to keep the magic alive, dontcha? You have to think about the answers first when people ask you Disneyland questions - If it's a kid asking you what the musicians' names really are, you tell them with a straight face that their momma really did name them all Billy. :fez:

The best shows are the ones that don't stick too closely to the script. Kirk can ad-lib admirably, and the rest of them can keep up. And then Dennis gets into an "Everything's gets three bars of 'Orange Blossom Special' thrown in" kick... Insanity, utter hilarious insanity. :D

--<< Bruce >>--

adriennek
09-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by dingdong2U
For good food at the Golden Horseshoe...

One Word: CHOCOLATE CAKE!!!

Oh, wait a minute, that's two words... ;-)

Anyway, the slice of chocolate cake they give you is humongous and usually requires at least two, maybe three people to finish...

Yes! It's not unlike the chocolate cake at Claim Jumper- BUT better, IMO, because, when we had it anyway, instead of nasty, icky, canker sore inducing walnuts, the frosting had mini-chocolate chips pressed into it!

Adrienne