PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain?

Poster_SF
09-14-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi Guys,

It has been a few years since I've been to this website....

I know this is a dumb question...

but what is up w/ Space Mountain? Why a rehab for this many months? It seems kind of intense to have such a major ride down for this long?

W/ Big Thunder out, I'll be delaying my annual trip for another year!!

sleepyjeff
09-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Space Mt. went down for a major re-hab last spring. This was due to cracks found in some of the track( or supports). At first it was rumored that they would put in a whole new track design and ride experience...........but now it seems they are going to just build the same ride over again. Let us just hope they don't build a cheaper version of the original( their recent track record suggests they might).

Disneyfreak
09-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Not true, the track might be the same layout but the ride will be a whole new experience. The ride will be state of the art and have updated technology by far. It will have lims on it like california screamin. The effects are going to be so spectacular that they will have actual holograms follow your car on the ride. Prepare for relaunch in 2005! Plus the queue will be all new and redesigned. The cars will be new and have new sound systems and we will have a new soundtrack, by dick dale.

sleepyjeff
09-14-2003, 06:52 PM
I stand hopelessly corrected and truly await the re-opening of this great attraction.

Now that I think about it, you must be right. This explains the extra long refurbishment.:)

Disneyfreak
09-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Go here to see the current construction on space mountain.

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al082203a.htm

as you can see this is a very complicated ride and will be even more complicated when they reopen it.

sleepyjeff
09-14-2003, 07:31 PM
These are actually demolition pics. But thanks for the link....it showed quite a bit of stuff Ive never seen.

:) :) :)

matterhorn1
09-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Space is going through a complete metamorphosis. Along with all new tracks, new special effects including new sound, and light show they will also be raising the roof of the building. They want it completed to be ready for Disney's fiftieth birthday celebration.

sleepyjeff
09-14-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by matterhorn1
Space is going through a complete metamorphosis. Along with all new tracks, new special effects including new sound, and light show they will also be raising the roof of the building. They want it completed to be ready for Disney's fiftieth birthday celebration.

But it is slated to be completed in Nov. 2005. That is several months after the July b-day.

matterhorn1
09-14-2003, 11:03 PM
The target date for completion is May of 2005. They want it up and running by July.

sleepyjeff
09-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by matterhorn1
The target date for completion is May of 2005. They want it up and running by July.

Oh. This is good news. Color me happy.:) :) :) :) :)

Darkbeer
09-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Two comments, first off, the current scheduled return date in the internal TDA computer system is November 5th, 2005. (And has been verified by multiple CM's)...

I have not seen any reports of addding LIM's to the system, and more than likely would require a redesign of the track. As far as I know, the track, and the current lift system will remain the same. The one change in the track will be in the loading system, with a special new side track added to facilitate the loading/unloaing of those who need special assistance. (A car will come off the main track, and can return at its own pace).

CoasterMatt
09-15-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Two comments, first off, the current scheduled return date in the internal TDA computer system is November 5th, 2005. (And has been verified by multiple CM's)...

I have not seen any reports of addding LIM's to the system, and more than likely would require a redesign of the track. As far as I know, the track, and the current lift system will remain the same. The one change in the track will be in the loading system, with a special new side track added to facilitate the loading/unloaing of those who need special assistance. (A car will come off the main track, and can return at its own pace).

And what's the big deal with LIMs?

Big Thunder has run with LIMs since 1979

stagedoorjonny
09-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
And what's the big deal with LIMs?

Big Thunder has run with LIMs since 1979

Big Thunder uses the standard lift systems for the hills, not the Linear Induction Motors as on CS. The advantage of the LIM system is the greater acceleration can be obtained so you are launched up the hill instead of being dragged up the hill.

CoasterMatt
09-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by stagedoorjonny
Big Thunder uses the standard lift systems for the hills, not the Linear Induction Motors as on CS.

But Big Thunder uses LIMs for all other vehicle motion (leaving/entering the station, and at each of the block brakes to restart from a stop)

CS uses Linear Synchronous Motors, not LIMs

As for Space Mountain, the majority of the track is being replaced with Vekoma MK500 track, but most of the station track, as well as the lifts will remain. As Darkbeer said, there will be a new siding track for loading guests who can't load quickly. There will also be new effects (at least, for the first few weeks until the effects break)

If Space Mountain was turned into a launched coaster, it would have a dramatically reduced capacity, those three lifts do a wonderful job of spacing out the ride vehicles.