PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's 75th Birthday

malin
09-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Ok this year is Mickey's 75th Birthday.And I am disgusted by TDA for not organising anything to mark this special event at DL.

WDW is opening a brand new 3D attraction based on the Mouse himself called Mickey's Phillarmagic.

And yet DL is doing nothing to mark this special event.What has happen to DL.I remember visiting DL in 1992 and seeing The World According to Goofy parade to mark his 60th Birthday party.Look how much things have changed in 11 years.I can understand while guys like Al Lutz give DL management a hard time.

Disney seem more interested in promoting X Games,Soap weekends and ABC Previews.Walt Disney never wanted people to forget one thing.It was all started by a Mouse.What a shame DL Management seem to have forgotten this.

I mean how much would a clone Mickey's Phillarmagic show,parade or show cost them?

Cadaverous Pallor
09-14-2003, 12:43 PM
The story here is a broken record. Walt's 100th was (IMHO) ten times more important than Mickey's 75th - so why would they bother celebrating it?

Disney doesn't care as much about Anaheim as it does about Florida. Period.

Lost Boy
09-15-2003, 07:36 AM
And, once again, I must say this, especially after meeting Eisner on Main Street and talking to him. I was wearing a special jacket that had hand painted portraits of Mickey Mouse, Roger Rabbit, Fantasmic on the back, Timon on the left sleeve and Disneyland on the right sleeve. When he saw the jacket, he paid no attention at all to the Mickey portrait but concentrated soley on Roger Rabbit and Timon, both characters that where created during his reign. I think that express the way Michael Eisner feels about Disney Characters. If the character was created before 1984 when he came on board, he has no real interest. If it was created after 1986 when all the stuff that had started prior was finally done with, then he has the interest.

I also have made special trips on Mickey't Birthday to see the celebrations at Disneyland (November 18th) and for the last 4 or 5 years there has been nothing. And its ironic also that you can't name one single character since Eisner came on board, that has captured the imagination the way Mickey and pals have. He tried it withe Bonkers and that character they spent a fortune on from Australia (I just can't think of his name now, the one with the springy tale) and neither one lasted as a costume walk around for more than a couple of seasons.

Eisner want a legacy to be remembered by. I think the one that we will most remeber him by is "The Man Who [Tried] To Kill Disneyland". That word in brackets may or may not stay depending on the final outcome before he departs.

merlinjones
09-15-2003, 08:05 AM
The evidence:

Walt Disney - His 100th birthday largely ignored, or used to position the whole company to date, not the man's acheivements in his lifetime. Many of his films are released with "Disney's" instead of "Walt Disney's" on the box. His desire not to make sequels to classics is unheeded.

Mickey Mouse - His cartoons are no longer shown on television, the anthology or the Disney Channel. They are only available on video in limited editions. His 75th birthday is ignored.

The Disney Films - Most of Walt's live action film and short library is unavailable. The majority of his films are given no special treatment in distribution of any kind. The films are not shown on the Disney Channel or ABC. The Walt hosted TV series are for the most unavailable.

Disneyland - Walt's own park is run down and underkempt. Some of the rides most associated with the man are closed (submarines, carousel, Golden Horseshoe Revue) or rumored to be (Tiki Room) or changed in tone (Lincoln). His design ideas and edicts are ignored in creation of companion park to disastrous results.

etc, etc.

So many of the things most associated with Walt, the man (save the animated classics themselves) are missing-in-action. This can't be by accident.

Michael Eisner is a man haunted by the ghost of another (he was reportedly overheard to call Walt a "fraud" in an Imagineering meeting). The man whose name is on the label isn't going away. Try as he might, Mikey can't eradicate Walt's memory or impact. The harder he tries, the more the company fails.

9oldmen
09-15-2003, 09:10 AM
In 1988 the company and parks did a huge celebration for Mickey's 60th birthday, and I don't know why the 75th is being overlooked like this. Is'nt the 75th supposed to be like a "Diamond Jubilee"? Think of the merchandise opportunities missed. Also, I never quite understood the Eric Robison "100 Mickeys" for Walt's 100th. Why didn't they just wait two more years, and have him create 75 Mickey's? Wouldn't that have been more appropriate?

merlinjones
09-15-2003, 10:56 AM
And let's not forget that two of Walt's personal gifts left to the world community were the Feature Animation and Imagineering studios, both of which have been dismantled for outsourcing by Eisner.

Next to that travesty, the lack of Mickey's 75th celebration is very trivial.

Disneyphile
09-15-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
He tried it withe Bonkers and that character they spent a fortune on from Australia (I just can't think of his name now, the one with the springy tale) and neither one lasted as a costume walk around for more than a couple of seasons.
That cute little spotted guy was Marsupilami. I was quite the fan of "Raw Toonage", and have a few things featuring him. :D

My opinion on this whole topic is that Eisner is probably bitter about the "100 Mickeys" commemoration, because he probably has this secret desire to display a "100 Mikeys" exhibit in the gallery, all dedicated to himself, of course. To truly capture his essence, the 100 different mediums could include: DL sales receipts, DCA park maps, DL park maps showing removed attractions, paint flakes, X-Perience "not a winner" scratch cards, Tiki Room roof pieces (just make that tar paper with a bit of thatching), Tomorrowland logo stuff....... hey, we could almost turn this into a game.;):~D

malin
09-15-2003, 01:42 PM
I don't think it can all be blame on Michael Eisner.

He is not involved in the day to day running of DL.Thats why he employs Management types and the blame should go to them first.Then to Eisner for giving these useless mall people jobs in the first place.

Lost Boy
09-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Thank you for the name of Marsupilami. I bought lots of toys of both him and Bonkers. In fact, in my living room area hanging from the overhang created by the air condioning ducts is a full size Marsupilami. He is hanging by a very long, strong coiled tail.

Morrigoon
09-15-2003, 04:42 PM
Gee Disneyphile, you make Eisner sound like Saddam Hussein...

hmm.....

Say, what happened to his government again? Oh yeah, it got taken over.......